The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Stihl FS 560 Clearing Saw  (Read 642 times)

Offline thriceor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Stihl FS 560 Clearing Saw
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
Based on the information and advice gleaned from this site, I recently purchased an FS560 clearing saw. Only have about 2 hours on it so far, but quite pleased with the performance.  I have a huge "crop" of honeysuckle to clear from 30 acres of woods, so I expect to be using it forever :D. Will update after a few more uses. Thanks to all for your great advice!
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Offline skipster

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl FS 560 Clearing Saw
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:02:06 AM »
i use one a heck of a lot opening up tracks through scrub. monster of a thing,the FS550 that predated it was a better handling beast,but the 560 has a bit more power. lots of fun watching the bush recede before you. It can be dangerous when felling saplings/small trees that have a bit of height to them,it will cut through a 6" trunk no worries,but then a 20 ft sapling comes down with absolutely no felling control,and its hard to get out of the way with the behemoth strapped to you. wear a helmet.

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:31:24 AM »
Taking down larger than sapling sized trees with a clearing saw is a mix of technique and the saw blade selected etc.
Not a fan of this guy's approach but he got tyhe job down.

Offline Mountain_d

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
You can directional fell the saplings also. It is a combination of blade inclination (left or right), starting position of the cut on the blade (referred to as morning side or afternoon side of the blade as per a clock from the operators view), and blade feed direction (sideways to the left or right or pull back towards you). Cut the stump higher (2 feet) to increase the directional affect and to minimize hitting the ground and dull the blade) then recut the stump with the blade held flat and low. Achieve peek rpm before begin the cut then feed the blade through in a controlled manner. As an example, one cut I use a fair bit for stems leaning the wrong way is to stand behind the stem, using the 8am part of the blade cut the stem at about 4 feet high, pulling back towards you with the blade inclined left (left side of blade angled down). The top of the stem will fall away from you. The concept is to displace the butt to create a lean rather than displace the top as we do with a chainsaw and wedge. The above is for stems that are thumb size to wrist size in diameter. Bigger stuff needs a two cut and even bigger a notch and back cut. Avoid cutting bigger stems with the noon to 2 pm part of the blade as you will get an uncontrolled kick out that will damage neighbouring stems and is a little hard on the saw or can jam the blade. If I was not tapping on a phone I could go on for ever about diectional clearing saw felling. Play around and give it some time. It is nice when you get most of your stems all falling the same direction out into the open face. Those that go the wrong way, pick them up and place them the correct way so you do not have to step over them or hang up other stems into them. Cut a narrow pass (6 ft or so)  to increase your felling options. This would be a great thing for someone to get up on YouTube. I searched YouTube but could not find anything. Have fun and keep st it! Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Offline thriceor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
A few more hours on the saw now, no complaints so far.  I have been clearing honeysuckle, mostly.  The saw will cut 4-6" trunks with no problem.  It is heavy, two to three hours is a good workout!  I did purchase a Husqvarna harness (the Balance XT, I believe), it is more comfortable and better distributes the load than the Stihl harness that came with the saw. 

Once it warms up a bit I'll be back at it.

:new_year:
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Clearing Saw - Stihl 560 - Husqvarna 555 - Echo 410U ????

Started by Nrowles on Chainsaws

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2015, 03:39:18 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Clearing Saw

Started by dsgsr on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post October 16, 2016, 06:15:27 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Clearing