iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker size and lenth?????

Started by bikedude73, February 21, 2010, 07:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

I went to help a guy with a mill and his stickers were short and I didn't know if there was a reason for that.  I would just cut stickers the length of the whole stack.  Any thoughts???????

zopi

Size doesn't matter.  :D

I prefer shorter stickers as it hurts my bloody back to bend over a wide pile of boards...but if you are banding to kiln dry ya gotta stack to fit the kiln cart...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

brdmkr

If stickers are too long, air flow through the stack will be reduced.  I like to limit my stacks to less that 48" wide.  Normally about 42" is what I use.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

twobears

i like 1 inch x 1 inch square by 48 inches long.

delbert

red oaks lumber

i plane my stickers 3/4 thick rip them 1" wide cut 42" long, having the best stickers possible gives you the best air dried wood possible.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

pine over 4 foot will mold right up here
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Den Socling

I like red oaks' sticker size. If they are too thin or too long, you don't have enough air flow. If they are too thick, you waste a lot of space especially in a package kiln.

fireman05

I have all of mine cut 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 48" and this has workew well for me in 16+ years of sawing & KD all types of lumber.  I have always made mine from northern white cedar so the sticker staining has been minimal.

I place the stickers about 16" apart and an 8' long pile will have 6 stickers per row.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

Cedarman

Two things very critical in stickering.  Same thickness stickers for each layer.  Stickers must be exactly on top of the one below.  Also bolsters or blocking must be under each row of stickers .
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bzsawyer

I agree most with Red Oaks and Cedarman for sticker size. We use 3/4 x 1 1/8 x 46''. Ash and Maple have worked the best for me. The 1 1/8'' wide seems to be strong enough to resist compression yet narrow enough to eliminate sticker shadow. And the 46'' length makes the packs just right to fit 2 side by side on the kiln cart. How ever the lumber is put up is the shape it will have when dry so careful stickering and skids under each stick row is a must.
Frick Timber Tiger TD36, 4 headblock, 56' of track. 56'' F style saw with 30'' top saw gives me 30'' of cut. Sawmill Systems setworks. Frick chain type log turner. Frick 641 3 saw edger, HMC ET10 trim saw, Morbark 48'' 3 knife chipper plus all the support equipment

fishpharmer

bzsawyer, welcome to forestry forum.  Glad to have you here. 

What kind of mill do you run?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Welcome to The Forestry Forum bzsawyer.  I read your list of Iron.  Sounds like you have a "full deal".  Your experience will be valuable here on FF.   Again, welcome..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

inwoodcutter

Quote from: brdmkr on February 22, 2010, 03:32:48 PM
If stickers are too long, air flow through the stack will be reduced.  I like to limit my stacks to less that 48" wide.  Normally about 42" is what I use.

I do the same as far as width of stacks. It does get to be a pain to do much wider and much narrower and the stack becomes unstable. Also the narrower stack will force you to stack higher, again making it unstable but also helping by adding weight upon the central boards.

I have to disagree that a wide stack will produce that much air restriction. Several high end commercial hardwood mills I know use 8 foot stickers. they simply have the equipment to handle that size load. Most of them do air dry for a while before they charge the kiln.

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

mrselfreliance

Would trembling ash make good stickers?

Al_Smith

In the past I've went to the lumber yards and got dunnage boards for free and ripped them into 3/4" stock .They were 48" long. I've done a paper  barrel full at a time .Makes a lot of sawdust 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Another option is to disassemble old pallets.  Watch out for nails.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Also, you could visit the larger drying operations ( most use five and six foot long stickers and sometimes longer) and buy their broken stickers to make a lot of 4' sticks.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

moodnacreek

48" sounds good but 50"+ is the length because 5 10" boards is 50". So 50" handles all common widths.

A-z farmer

I make the pallets 50 inches wide and the stickers 52 inches long so they stick out an inch on both sides.I do this for the same reason as  moodnacreek.

YellowHammer

If you make them too proud of the stack, whenever you pick up a stack with a fork lift or loader, the too long stickers will snag and snap off on the backstop of the forks carrier.  So a couple inches works for me.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 13, 2020, 08:32:28 PMIf you make them too proud of the stack, whenever you pick up a stack with a fork lift or loader, the too long stickers will snag

A hard lesson Robert? :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!