iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exploding chainsaw

Started by DR_Buck, November 19, 2017, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Saw this story this morning.   Any ideas what would cause this?   Maybe wrong fuel?   Could a breaking or leaking fuel line cause something like this?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/19/pennsylvania-man-dies-day-after-chainsaw-malfunction.html
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

gspren

That's my county and so far nothing in the papers as to why but if I hear anything I'll update.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I'd say most likely a refuelling accident and he ended up with gas splashed on him. Then he and the saw burst into flames.

Reporters aren't known for their accuracy. "Exploded" is more likely to have been "burst into flames", which is certainly possible, and potentially fatal.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I wonder what happened too. No matter what,it's a tragic accident.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ken morgan

Maybe it was one of those ak-15 bayonet sized chainsaws.....probably one of them gunnuts decided to go with a bigger more powerful bayonet chainsaw  and it blocked the boom hole of his M.223 grenade launcher....   8)

Ada Shaker

If it was at his home he might have been working on his chainsaw trying to get it started, dunno maybe to much fuel down the carb. If he was out and about it may have been a fuel fill issue. It would be interesting to know what happened but my condolences go out to the family. Accidents could happen to anyone.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

mike_belben

Quote from: ken morgan on November 19, 2017, 10:33:18 PM
Maybe it was one of those ak-15 bayonet sized chainsaws.....probably one of them gunnuts decided to go with a bigger more powerful bayonet chainsaw  and it blocked the boom hole of his M.223 grenade launcher....   8)

A human being burned to death.  Thats a pretty crummy first post.
Praise The Lord

starmac

Tragic for sure, I can't imagine how it could have burned him that bad. I can possibly see a flash and him inhaling the flames. I would like to know the whole story.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ZeroJunk

Sounds like one of those deals where you will never know 100% for certain unless there were witnesses or surveillance cameras around. And, I'm not sure about the witness part.

kenskip1

What about a natural gas leak? The saw could have ignited it?Being an active fireman we are trained  to look outside the box.This is the best scenario that I am able to piece together.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Kbeitz

My dad had a gas back pack sprayer engine explode. I was only around 10
years old and I can still see him flying off the ground around 12 feet into the
air. They had thought gas fumes got in the flywheel area. No one was hurt.
There sure was nothing left of the sprayer. He was lucky that the sprayer had
a metal back between him and the engine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ken morgan

Quote from: mike_belben on November 21, 2017, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: ken morgan on November 19, 2017, 10:33:18 PM

A human being burned to death.  Thats a pretty crummy first post.

you obviously missed the sarcasm that was intended...let me break it down for you..the poster above me made comment about how the news media would put in "explodes" vice "catches on fire".  I merely added to this thought  with an example of how they like to comment on weapons issues.  People die every day, yes its a horrible thing, (unless you are stalin, pol pot, charles manson, hiliary clinton etc...)  if it was someone I knew, or someone that was known to the community I would imagine all of our posts would be completely different.... as it stands most people are simply saying "there but for the grace of god" when they offer condolences as they do not know who it is....mull that over for a moment.

dougand3

Update: No explosion - spilled fuel on clothes and ignited - severe burns. Accuracy in news is optional.

http://dripline.net/chainsaw-explosion-kills-man-york-county/
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

DR_Buck

Quote from: dougand3 on December 14, 2017, 08:38:37 PM
Update: No explosion - spilled fuel on clothes and ignited - severe burns. Accuracy in news is optional.

http://dripline.net/chainsaw-explosion-kills-man-york-county/

Thanks for posting the update.     This should be a reminder to all about working with gas soaked clothing or shoes.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DelawhereJoe

If your covered in gas shouldn't you expect to be a fire hazard and burst into flames with the smallest spark from static ? I know I would.....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

starmac

Still some kind of freak deal, no matter how one looks at it. I can't imagine spilling enough gas on myself to end up burned to death filling a chainsaw.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sablatnic

Happened in Denmark some years ago, to a man using a brush cutter. When his wife and daughter arrived home they found him burned to death.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/article.php/id-69844474%3Amand-br%25C3%25A6ndt-ihjel-under-havearbejde.html

LeeB

More likely a vapor explosion than spilled gas.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BobbyG

Keep in mind the media is reporting this as an explosion but will probably turn out to be a fueling accident...

JJ

I have a neighbor who I watched filling his mower with lit cigarette in his mouth.   I tell him he's nuts, butt he claims he has always smoked during filling up.
::) Just a matter of time.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!