iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where to look for parts?

Started by starmac, November 23, 2017, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I have a friend that bought a place with an old circle mill on it, it has not run in a while, but it is still complete saw shed and all.

he is needing a c mag for the engine. Not sure what the c stands for, but it is a Fairbanks model c magneto.
The motor is a 1939 model allis chalmers, 4 cylinder 568 cubic inch engine.

Anybody know where to start looking for a new mag, a place that would rebuild the one he has, or maybe even parts for his?
Every ve here has just drawn blanks.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WLC

Starmac, ought to be lots of places that cater to the tractor restorers.  AC is one I see a few of at the Fair. Might contact the antique tractor club over in Palmer and see if they can hook you up with info.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Kbeitz

E-bay or Hit and miss enterprises ....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

I had forgot about that club.  I have a friend here that has restored some old tractors and runs one in the antique tractor pulls, I didn't think of either, so will check with him too.

Gearbox

By 1939 I think AC was running a WICO mag . They should be lots of them around . If the mag is still there pull the 4 screws and take a brown paper bag and run between the points until it stays clean put it back together and run it . You need to find an old guy shop that will work on mags .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

moodnacreek

That sounds like a 563 /A5/4/e60 engine. Very confuseing model id but about all the same. They where in the a.c. A tractor and K crawler I think and also sold as power units. Mine had a bosch mag that was weak so I put an IH distributer on it [battery ignition].  Anyhow Standard Magneto , Chicago is the place to call.

starmac

Good info, thanks moodnacreek.
Gearbox is wico a brand name or a model, the one on it is a Fairbanks.
The guy working on it is a great mechanic for CAT, but not an old guy mechanic, I already told him I would like to have a look at it to see what it would take to get her up and running.

bandmiller2

Its a rare mag that is not repairable try new points and condenser. Tractor dealers should have/get them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ButchC

In my other life I am an Allis Chalmers collector. Your buddy either has an E60 or E563 per unit depending on the age. The guy he needs to contact to solve his magneto needs is Norm Mienert, Davis Illinois.
http://www.normsactractors.com
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ButchC on November 24, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
In my other life I am an Allis Chalmers collector. Your buddy either has an E60 or E563 per unit depending on the age. The guy he needs to contact to solve his magneto needs is Norm Mienert, Davis Illinois.
http://www.normsactractors.com

Got one like this ???

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coalsmok

If all else fails Altronic inc makes new mags or bolt on electric ignition systems. They are pricey but do not have points or condensers in them. Used everyday in the gas fields and are very reliable.

starmac

I am thinking I can fix the one he, but I haven't seen it.

Thanks for that website ButchC, I bet it will come in handy for more than the mag.

Kbeitz

I bet I got the mag your looking for.... But I would have to have your in hand
to tell what you have. I got a shelf with around 50 on it but there is so many
different kinds. Even right and left turning ones. Take a look on E-bay.
You could also look for one of these. They replace the mag.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

barbender

I can't help, I just want to say that is a lot of cubes per hole that ol' thumper has!👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

Mountain_d

The aircraft folks would still be repairing magnetos. Ask around at a small airport?
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

sawguy21

Those guys do everything to aircraft spec and that costs BIG bucks if they will touch it. Wico is a brand name and was very popular, they are still inbusiness but have been out of the mag field for a long time. A boat yard in a coastal city like Juneau might be able to help, commercial fishing boats used these for years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jdeere540a

I have had good luck with Steiner tractor parts. I looked quickly in my catalog and they list some Fairbanks parts and wico I have bought quite a bit of IH parts from them they are nice people.

ButchC

I have no Allis Chalmers mowers however I do own a model A tractor. Same 563 cubic inch power plant as the OPs sawmill.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

jdeere540a

I'd like to know how hard that 563 would be on gas I've been sawing with my farmall m on my belsaw and I burn 10 to 15 gallons a day

Kbeitz

Quote from: ButchC on November 26, 2017, 07:54:30 PM
I have no Allis Chalmers mowers however I do own a model A tractor. Same 563 cubic inch power plant as the OPs sawmill.

Nice Hit&Miss...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ButchC

Our A will burn 5 gallon an hour when under a good load and not much less than that when doing little or nothing.

Quote from: jdeere540a on November 26, 2017, 08:10:22 PM
I'd like to know how hard that 563 would be on gas I've been sawing with my farmall m on my belsaw and I burn 10 to 15 gallons a day
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

moodnacreek

Butch C.  ,the guy that bought my 563 was from ohio and was putting it in an E a/c tractor.

killamplanes

Easy on the airplane folks. We're pricey cause when the engine quits gravity is not kind.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Alyeska Pete

If the mag is intact except for no high tension spark, most likely the primary or secondary windings have an open or short circuit. Cheapest fix is simply hooking up an external 12 volt car coil and using the points in the mag to fire it. Drill a hole in the mag and feed in the high tension lead from the new external coil. Basically you are just using the mag as an ordinary distributer. Hook up a switched 12v wire to the points in series with the coil. power it with an old car battery. Should run all day without charging.

moodnacreek

Back in the day that coil trick was common on J.D. wico C mags. on 2 cylinders.

Thank You Sponsors!