iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut drying on the stump?

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 25, 2017, 03:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I have several dead black walnut trees on my place that have been dead for many years in some cases. On at least a couple nearly all the sapwood has already fallen off. They range from around 14"-24" dbh. I am thinking about cutting and sawing them in the Spring. They are too close to where I deer hunt right now and the biggest one can only be accessed with my ATV when it has been real dry for a good while.

I am wondering how much moisture I am going to find in that dead walnut heartwood. I'm thinking the tops and larger limbs might be prime candidates for making cookies. I'm hoping they would be less likely to crack without a lot of extra treatment. I cut some cookies off a big dead walnut tree that had been down 4 years or so and they did pretty good but I coated both sides thickly with Anchorseal and some customers did not like that.

Has anybody ever cut old dead walnuts like that and have any lessons learned or suggestions to pass along about how they are for lumber and cookies?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

I'm torn, I'm not sure if I should be more excited about the black walnut or how you do hunting lol. I'm definitely jealous that you have black walnut and whitetail deer on your place. All I have is incense cedar and goats 🐐
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, we love it here. Been here 27.5 years. We have about 42 acres that would be over 80 if it were flat as rises over 450' (See why I love my ATV!). I have 2 shooting houses in key spots and even one ladder stand about 300 yards from my front door and a climber on the back corner. Creek in the front yard supplies my fish bait. Lots of walnuts and some big wild cherry scattered around the place. I have 3 feed sacks full of walnuts husked and ready to dry a little more and crack. Plenty of poplar up in the hollers that I am thinning on demand. I'm 8 miles from the boat landing on the Bluestone Lake where I catch way more big catfish than I can use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

From what I have seen the longer it's dead the darker the wood.
I bet it's in good shape.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

The cookies should be OK.  I sawed a batch in 2012 from a dead Walnut log that I have loaned out for weddings, etc. many times.  None cracked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I knew you had a loaner set and that is along the lines of what I am thinking. I thought you said somewhere they had been cut from a dead walnut.

My photographer wife does a few weddings each year so looks like might be something handy she could offer in her packages. If not she works with the local florists for weddings and they typically have wedding supplies and might be interested.
Howard Green

Magicman

I have pictures of the sawing and also of the sanded cookies, but where oh where??   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

They say the memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first one was. :D
Howard Green

moodnacreek

When you see these trees starting to die cut them into saw logs and go to it. Live logs are what you want not decay. Dead logs are not really dry. IT has to be sawn and stickered.

bandmiller2

Not sure about walnut but I've found wood will not dry much in log form, needs to be milled or split. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I can assure you that the Walnut "log" that I sawed the above mentioned cookies from was fairly dry.  :D

Qweaver

How do they use the cookies at a wedding?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

TKehl

I've got some walnut in that condition that I've been cutting, but none that large.  8" diameter has been the biggest.

One was a blow down with the top hung in other trees.  At least 5 years dead miniumum.  No sapwood left at all.  It was noticeably wetter when cut off near the stump, but the upper sections had almost no checking.

Standing dead Oak, not as friendly.   :D

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Magicman

Quote from: Qweaver on November 25, 2017, 09:04:33 PM
How do they use the cookies at a wedding?
"Coasters" for table decorations. 

WV Sawmiller

Ones I saw used probably same as MM listed. They'd have one on every small table at the reception dinner usually with the flower arrangement sitting on them.

The trees on my place have certainly been dead as long as the one the MM is carrying and some many years. I suspect some have been dead 20 years or more. The biggest one probably died within the last 5 years or so since I last saw any leaves on it. All the bark is slipping off it now.
Howard Green

Bigc1989

How thick do yins usually cut cookies?

Brad_bb

I just cuts 'em and saws 'em!  I just milled a standing dead walnut today,  It has been dead for a long time.  Bark was falling off easily.  The outer layer of sapwood had started to rot.  Nothing wrong with the heatwood though.  12' trunk made and 8x10x12'  while the two branches on top made for some curved brace stock.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Must have been Black Walnut Saturday or something as I did the same thing today.  This one had been down for at least 5 years - that was when I first noticed it on the ground.  Same results too - sapwood was starting to decay in a couple of inches but the heart wood was just fine.  Toward the root ball she had more moisture than out toward the top, but nothing like a fresh, live one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

My white pine is along ways from walnut.  ;D But I have cut alot that was dead. Bark fell off,not much for limbs.The wood inside is nice and white,just like a tree that I cut that was alive. And some of them I split,the water would ooze out of them where the wedge would enter the wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

One of the walnut trees I am thinking about is in the center of this picture. Its about 30 yards from my deer feeder so won't cut it before 31 December when our current deer season ends.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!