The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: New to me Clark skidder  (Read 6783 times)

Offline ohiowoodchuck

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: New to me Clark skidder
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
Can you seat the seal at a different depth. Iíve done this quote a bit in the industrial side of maintenance, where pumps run 24 hours a day seven days a week. I can usually get three different seal sets before, I need to repair shaft.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
ohiowoodchuck brings up a really good point.  We've got an old Cat 930 loader up on the farm.  My Brother In Law had to "double up" one seal in the driveline that was a bear to get at.  Machine has unknow thousands of hours on it.  When he got in their to replace it, book called for "1", low and behold somebody had been there before and put in two, one more parts run and one more seal, she's going again.  Just a ohiowoodchuck said, it'll move the "sealing point", might be an easy fix if you've got the room to do it???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
Iím definitely going to go take a look and see if that will work. If it does thatíd be awesome.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
Ohiowoodchuck, you're awesome  8) thanks alot for the tip. Makes all the sense in the world but I'd have never thought of it.

Got it all back together, ran it around the parking lot and pushed some snowbanks, got the trans fluid hot and checked it\topped it off, ran and went good, shined a flashlight on that new seal, hasn't leaked yet! Granted it's not alot of use, but I would have thought it'd be either good or bad. Here's hoping.

I installed the seal flush with the case of the transmission, made sure the yoke wouldn't rub on the seal, pretty sure I got a full 1-1.5" away from that groove.

The trans filter was a bear to get off! I fought and battled with that, someone had it on there super tight. Might have said a bad word even, but got it eventually...

The ol' clark takes up alot of room in the shop

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
my uncle had a D just like that. its about 8" shorter than my B so about as short a clark as you'll find. i think you'll really like that tractor. our 666B is pulling timber daily, has had very little done to it, it just goes and goes.

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
Thatís what everyone says, tough as nails and just keeps going. Thatís what Iím looking for!

This one is really a C by serial number, if you look close or can see where they painted over the 666C. Not sure why anyone would do that.

I got a job cutting spruce, hopefully by the new year Iíll be pulling hitches.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
Got 4 newish chains on the Clark, forum member 240b was very kind and hooked me up with a set of double diamond ice chains and I bought a set of ring chains off craigslist that are way ahead of what I had.

Got those on and tight and moved the Skidder to my first job yesterday. Job wasnít too far away from the shop so I ran it a few miles up the dirt road and might have travelled on Rt. 2 for a stretch  ;) sure beats a big bill to trailer it 2 miles up the road but dang was it cold!

Already learned plowing snow with a Skidder is pretty much terrible. Cut and pulled a few trees before it got dark. Looks like no logging for me this weekend, Saturday high of -16, I donít need to cut wood that badly.

Oh, if anyone knows of someone desperate for a set of Skidder chains, I have 2 sets of ring chains 23.1x26, one set should probably be scrapped, but one set is decent, probably 25%. Worth putting on, basically an upgrade over no chains. Just looking to pay it forward after I got the ice chains.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline Maine372

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
i plowed snow with a 664b last winter, that was painful. I did figure out to grab both transmission levers with one hand. low range forward to plow, and high range reverse to back up and try again.

i was cutting weekends and missed one, well in the intervening time we got like 3ft of snow. i was over an hour just getting the landing pushed off.

Offline ohiowoodchuck

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 10:56:41 PM »
Glad it worked for you. Itís not perfect but I have used it a lot when time is money, to get out of hours of down time for shaft replacement and keep the products moving.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Offline gman98

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
Got 4 newish chains on the Clark, forum member 240b was very kind and hooked me up with a set of double diamond ice chains and I bought a set of ring chains off craigslist that are way ahead of what I had.

Got those on and tight and moved the Skidder to my first job yesterday. Job wasnít too far away from the shop so I ran it a few miles up the dirt road and might have travelled on Rt. 2 for a stretch  ;) sure beats a big bill to trailer it 2 miles up the road but dang was it cold!

Already learned plowing snow with a Skidder is pretty much terrible. Cut and pulled a few trees before it got dark. Looks like no logging for me this weekend, Saturday high of -16, I donít need to cut wood that badly.

Oh, if anyone knows of someone desperate for a set of Skidder chains, I have 2 sets of ring chains 23.1x26, one set should probably be scrapped, but one set is decent, probably 25%. Worth putting on, basically an upgrade over no chains. Just looking to pay it forward after I got the ice chains.
celliot, if you are cutting softwood, especially spruce and fir, the cold weather will be your best friend.  No limbing involved, the limbs just shatter off flush with the trunk on the way out of the woods.
Stihl 362 c-m
Husqvarna 562xp
Husqvarna 359
Husqvarna 245rx thinning saw

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
Oh I know it, the limbs will basically fall off. I just don't know if I'll be able to get the skidder started when it's been bitter cold and it's sat all week. Already found out I need a new battery. How much do I want to mess around trying to get the thing started, kill 1\2 a saturday to work 1\2 a day? I'm just gonna be a weekend warrior for now, if it's real nasty I'm not even gonna try. I don't owe anything on the skidder so if it sits no big deal. I also work 5-6 days a week sugaring. We're tapping now, lots of miles on snowshoes all day. This saturday I have to give a seminar lecture on 3\16 tubing so that's out for logging. It's gonna be hit or miss I think...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:19 AM »
A bucket fulla coals and an old blanket or some painters plastic is your friend on starting cold machines.  Torpedo heater works too.   Keep the extinguisher handy. 

Ether is much much safer to squirt a wiff while cranking than hosing down the filter then jumping in.    I run a nylon hose with an npt cap through the dash, down to a manifold port on all my old cold blooded junk.  Only shoot ether while engine is turning.  Beware of grid heaters too.
Revelation 3:20

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
 ::) Oh it never seems to end...

Tried starting my skidder today in preparation for logging this weekend, nice warm weather. No go. Put the booster cables to it. Still nothing, smaller 12v solenoid click click clicking... Decided to swap that out as a cheap way to rule options out. While at the parts store they had a special on the battery I needed so I got one anyway, the one in it was old and tired, it was time. Get the solenoid back in, new battery hooked up, and it tried to turn over once, then the solenoid just clicked.

Whats left? Must be the starter or starter solenoid right?
Got that pulled a little while ago just before dark. Looks like I'm headed to the starter shop in St. J tomorrow, and probably no logging for me this weekend  :-\ It'd be nice if the money would start coming in rather than going out, but that isn't gonna happen if I can't start the skidder!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:13 PM »
That's a tough one. Check and clean all your connections if you haven't all ready. Are you going to the shop on Bay St. ? If so they can fix you up fine and they do good work. But just don't hold your breath til it's ready. Couple years back I brought my dozer alternator in on a Friday. They told me it'd be ready the next Wednesday, Friday at the latest. Took them over a month and nothing happened til I went in everyday. So don't be afraid to push a little. Just sayin.

gg

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
Yeah I checked and cleaned all the connections before replacing the smaller solenoid. I did replace one cable from the small solenoid to the starter solenoid (not totally sure why it has two?) as it was pretty crusty and didn't look good.

The shop on Bay street was recommended to me, seems like the best place around to go for starter stuff. Hopefully they get it done in a timely manner, I can't be waiting a month... I also can't stop in every day, during the week I'm in the woods tapping from 7-430 and don't get home till 545 usually.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Online chep

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
If you are headed south for anything try Dave's starter and alternator in Lebanon NH. Top notch. Quick turnaround.

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Share Post
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
I'll  second Daves ,he has rebuilt starters and alternators while i waited. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »
It's at the shop in St.J. Herbie was recommended to me by more than a few local people I know. Plus St.J is 15 minutes, Lebanon NH is over an hour.
I think it's in good hands. I walked through the door and before I could say anything he knew it was a starter for a detroit. Said it should be ready monday.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »
My experience with the " click click " noise is quite often that I don't get enough current from the battery to the starter motor, especially when you have no luck with booster cables.  If the pole clamps are not sodered at the end and just clamped down with two little screws it could be quite possible that you have a bad connection. Also a  bad ground or a faulty master switch can do the same thing.
Not saying your starter motor is fine, I just think it's a little weird as you normally can hear when they go bad or are making funny noises, they usually don't work the one day and not the next one.
Will be interesting to hear anyways.

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
You know, I really haven't owned the thing long enough to really know how well it started. It did start fine a few times when I was moving it around the yard and into the shop, but once in the shop the starter spun a few times without engaging.
Thought I went over all the connections, cleaned them up, etc. Even looked at the ignition button, but did not check the master switch.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Will a 664c Clark Tranny fit a 664b clark ranger skidder?

Started by delimberboy on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2015, 01:23:05 PM
by oldseabee
thumbup
664 Clark skidder

Started by vatkins on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post March 26, 2017, 08:31:18 PM
by allaboutsawdust
xx
Clark 664 Skidder