iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing a Wixey WR550 digital readout on my planer

Started by 21incher, November 26, 2017, 06:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I just installed a Wixey remote planer readout on my Grizzly planer and made a video of how I installed it. So far it seems accurate and repeatable. It will be nice to hit dimensions without making several passes and checking each one with a caliper. It only has a .005 resolution so it is not as accurate as some others, but it seems to be extremely well made. Time will tell how it lasts. smiley_christmas
https://youtu.be/fy-j8VQdT6Q
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

As normal, you did an excellent job with the video.  It was clear how to install the gauge.  Thanks for taking the time.

I timed my elevation crank so when the crank handle is at the bottom the thickness is sitting on a 16th mark.  I can usually hit a 64th but any finer adjustment is hit or miss.  Due to back lash in the elevation screw and chain it works best in one direction.   Back lash might not be an issue with the gauge.

I make a lot of small boxes using panels that fit a groove in the lid.  The fit only looks perfect if the panel fits in the groove with less than .005" clearance.  I think the Wixley would work well in that application and save me a bunch of time making test pieces.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Larry the gauge is mounted directly to the bed so backlash is not a issue. The thing that I found during playing with it was mounting the magnet on the center and not the wings gave me the best repeat-ability. It only has a .005 resolution so it could be a problem hitting 1/2 of that every time.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

AlaskaLes

We've got a cheap DRO that came with our used Powermatic 15HH planer.
I think it might be JET brand.
It has .001 resolution and has proven to be very repeatable.
It is styled like a dial caliper body with the flat bar anchored to the machine base and the readout anchored to the bed.
It has some quirks that I don't like, but it woks well enough that I want DRO's for everything!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

21incher

Quote from: AlaskaLes on November 28, 2017, 04:17:56 PM
We've got a cheap DRO that came with our used Powermatic 15HH planer.
I think it might be JET brand.
It has .001 resolution and has proven to be very repeatable.
It is styled like a dial caliper body with the flat bar anchored to the machine base and the readout anchored to the bed.
It has some quirks that I don't like, but it woks well enough that I want DRO's for everything!
I put one like that on my mill, it says it is accurate, but the error on it increases with the distance  you are measuring, it is repeatable and fairly fragile. 
Like you said once you get a taste of them, you want more. I am thinking about one for my saw fence now.

Thank You Sponsors!