iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best diesel injector cleaner.

Started by Kbeitz, November 26, 2017, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

What do you use and like? What works and don't?
I️ have a kubota engine giving me fits.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

I like the Opti-lube products,  I have an 80's vintage JD 650 with a Yanmar 2 popper

Or Stanadyne

Whats up with the Kubota?

D

jwade

i have always used stabil in my truck and tractors. hope this helps.

Kbeitz

Quote from: dgdrls on November 26, 2017, 07:53:30 PM
I like the Opti-lube products,  I have an 80's vintage JD 650 with a Yanmar 2 popper

Or Stanadyne

Whats up with the Kubota?

D

First time ever with an engine problem with any of my Kubotas.
After running it hard all week when first starting it up the 3 cly will
only run on two clys. The smoke just pours out. The only way I
can get the third cly to pick up is to make it work hard. Once it
picks up the third cly I have no problems until I shut it down and
restart it. I finished all the work I need to do with it so now I got
to get my problem fixed. I know next to nothing about diesel engines
but I'm guessing that I have an injector sticking. I hope that's all
that's wrong with it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

seems like a good place to start,   black smoke is too much fuel,  im guessing this is an older all mechanical engine???

D

North River Energy

barbender

If it is smoking white/blue and smells like raw fuel, that would point towards an injector stuck open. On a mechanically injected engine, it's probably pretty simple to pull the injector and inspect it. I have an injector I suspect is hanging up a bit on my 03 Dodge Cummins, it's a lot more complicated to get those injectors out. Mine was smoking a lot On start up and while idling, and also when driving around at low speed. It ran fine other than the smoke. I ran Power Service Diesel Kleen (it's the gray bottle) at a strong dose and that definitely helped. I need to load the filter with it and idle for a few minutes, and let it soak the injectors. If it was a mechanical injector, I would've just pulled it out and looked at it already.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

I run Sea Foam in everything both diesel and gas.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Also, as far as I understand (I'm no diesel expert) black smoke is from over fueling, injecting more fuel than a cylinder can burn, but everything else is in order (lugging a diesel will usually cause black smoke). White smoke comes from the injectors letting fuel into the cylinder other than when they are timed to fire by the injection pump. On newer common rail engines like my 5.9 Cummins, if an injector sticks it can leak fuel into the cylinder constantly because the injector always has pressure to it. On a mechanical engine,  the injectors only get fuel when the injection pump pulses pressure to it.

barbender

I was going to use some Sea Foam, but I read that it contains alcohol.

BLink

I would first crack the line loose while running. If there is any air in the system it won't run right.

After I changed the filters ,I have disconnected the fuel supply and return lines and poked them into the bottle of injector cleaner and let it run for 30 minutes while keeping an eye on it. I put it back together and it cleaned them very well!
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Corley5

Only issue I ever had was with an H Farmall.  I added some and it took several sediment bowl cleanings to get the crud that it loosened up in the gas tank ;) 8) ;D
  A lot of guys run it in diesels around here.  Car Quest in Indian River is one of the largest volume dealers in Michigan. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

james

also check that you dont have a airlock forming in the line to the injector a air bubble can cause strange behavior
james

Kbeitz

Quote from: dgdrls on November 26, 2017, 08:52:21 PM
seems like a good place to start,   black smoke is too much fuel,  im guessing this is an older all mechanical engine???

D

Kubota B8200 made between 1983-1990
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

check air filter  I always pull them out then start it to see if it clears up    as far as injector cleaner I use atf  or 2cycle oil in the fuel

sandhills

Might sound crude but use the old screw driver to the ear method on each injector, if it is in fact the injector it will sound distinctly different than the other 2.

Kbeitz

Quote from: sandhills on November 27, 2017, 10:06:05 AM
Might sound crude but use the old screw driver to the ear method on each injector, if it is in fact the injector it will sound distinctly different than the other 2.

Thanks... i'll try that...
Simple...Easy...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

On my little Deere with a Yammar I had the glow plug timmer stick on and burn up the glow plugs. It would start fine when it was warm out, but when it turned colder it became hard to start, blew black smoke and ran rough for the first couple minutes. New glow plugs and a manual switch controlled relay fixed it. Have you checked the glow plugs?  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on November 27, 2017, 12:59:54 PM
On my little Deere with a Yammar I had the glow plug timmer stick on and burn up the glow plugs. It would start fine when it was warm out, but when it turned colder it became hard to start, blew black smoke and ran rough for the first couple minutes. New glow plugs and a manual switch controlled relay fixed it. Have you checked the glow plugs?  :)

My glow plugs only come on when I turn my key start switch backwards.
On my dash is another glow plug that you can see turn red.
Then you know its ready to start.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grizzly

Quote from: barbender on November 26, 2017, 10:41:27 PM

And that made it a beverage??!  :D  Sorry, folks. Just had to be done.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Skip

starmac

I assume you are getting white smoke until it clears up and starts running fine. I generally use howes in mine once in a while, but we used tranny fluid forever. If I think I really need to clean them, I like to fill the filter with it, then crank and let it run a few minutes, then kill it and let it sit overnight, with the pump, lines and injectors full of the cleaner.
It may also be time for you to run an overhead.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sawguy21

Quote from: Grizzly on November 27, 2017, 02:18:33 PM
Quote from: barbender on November 26, 2017, 10:41:27 PM

And that made it a beverage??!  :D  Sorry, folks. Just had to be done.
Shaken, not stirred :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

😂😂😂Because alcohol attracts water, and can cause moisture problems down the line. No personal experience, I read it on the internet so I know it's true😁

Thank You Sponsors!