iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing instincts

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 27, 2017, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I remember when I was a kid if your threw your dog a bone or a big old scrap of meat too big for him to eat when he finished what he could he would go bury the rest and come back to it later. Have any of you seen that instinct in your dogs in recent years? I think we have bred it out of them by spoiling them so rotten.

I cleaned a deer I shot this week and threw Sampson and our old Aussie the liver and heart and such that we don't use and they chewed a while but mostly looked at me as if to say "Aren't you going to cut it up in smaller pieces or cook it for me?" They made no effort to go bury any to hide or preserve it.

I did think for a while when I was skinning the deer that Sampson was going to help as he grabbed the hide and pulled a little but all 13 lbs was not enough to help me get it off the deer. At least he tried.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

I don't have a dog, but my neighbors dog will even bury her fake bones and get them later.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

my dogs are to lazy to dig a hole if my 11 year old don't hand feed them they just look at it in less its a slim jim then look out your fingers my go to they only eat a few treats the milk bones raw hides and pig ears they wont even sniff them they love fish 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 27, 2017, 07:17:30 PM
   I remember when I was a kid if your threw your dog a bone or a big old scrap of meat too big for him to eat when he finished what he could he would go bury the rest and come back to it later. Have any of you seen that instinct in your dogs in recent years? I think we have bred it out of them by spoiling them so rotten.

My dogs just dig holes all over my yard for fun ::)  But one is a pretty good hunter - she gets gophers, voles, mice and rats all the time.  She put them either on the back step or on the stairs going down to the pool.  She acts like a cat in that respect probably because she was raised in a cat rescue center until she was 6 or 7 months old.  Our second dog has learned to hunt a little too, but mostly likes to dig up the yard going after subterranean critters. :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

My little Jack Russel will hide his dog food under the carpet.
Sure is fun to watch but the wife doesn't think so.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Sampson, my rat terrier, expects his food cut up bite size. He normally walks around on 3 legs so he can keep his other foot dry and clean.

He does trail wounded deer for me and he loves to ride on my ATV and to bark at a catfish so I will probably keep him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I had one,part golden and terrier. That dog was a hunting dog. He would hunt the walls for wood chucks all by himself. Than when he started barking,non stop,I knew he had one. I would get them out of the wall and as soon as the woodchuck would start to run,he would be on it. Somehow he knew to flip them over and bite them at the base of the neck. Instincts? He did not like to see anything in his fields.  ;D
The dog I have now does OK. If I am around the walls,she will found the wood chunks too. But she is part porm and shi-shui so her teeth don't line up. She can't kill,but she don't have the courage for that either. Soon as the woodchuck comes out of the stone wall,she is on top of the wall barking at it.  ::) This one here will bury her food.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

My dog doesn't bury things very often, but would much rather raid deer guts than eat dogfood. 

During deer season I'll set out his food and tell him he's a good boy.  More often than not, he will look at his dish and give me a sheepish look of, "Thanks for the food, but I'm not really hungry, but thanks for thinking of me."  I just put it back in the bag. 

Now bones in the yard, that's another story.  Have a deer spine in the yard now he drug up and is chewing on.  Usually find a bunch of deer legs and a few rib cages.   A couple years back my wife insisted I clean up the yard to look a little less redneck before her sophisticated parents got there for Christmas.  The yard was perfect until 2 minutes before they got there when Timothy drug a rib cage to the middle of the sidewalk without me noticing.   :D :D :D  I still laugh about it and my wife no longer reels in horror at the memory.   :D

I think he leaves the bones lay because he is the only dog around and doesn't have to hide them.  The cats are the only competition.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

pineywoods

When the kids were small, their granpa gave them a catahoula cur pup. Dog loved to chew on ice cubes, but sometimes he would bury the cube. He would always come back later and try to dig it up. Frustrated dog, but they are not known for being intelligent.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

I think dogs today are like our kids. They are so used to everything being given to them they don't worry about where their next meal is coming from or taking care of what they do get.

Sampson is definitely not an "Alpha" dog. He likes to run in the woods and bark at things but I can't imagine him attacking anything as big as a coon or woodchuck. He even stands pretty clear when barking at catfish.

I remember hearing someone talk about his dog rolling in a dead animal carcass or a fresh pile of cow flop. He said it was hunting instinct so he could hide his smell and sneak up on his prey - in his case which was his food dish.
Howard Green

drobertson

I have to laugh WV! I said the same thing this morning to Christy,  while giving Miss Dolly her joint supplements,,but in defense of her (wolf) instincts,?? she still does bury things, bout everything, the funniest is live moles she's worked hours for, only to dig another hole and politely bury it for her next visit :D In all my days, I've never seen anything like it,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

We live in cattle country and have to be careful to train out some hunting instincts or our dogs will get shot. If I ever see a cow being chased I don't like it for a couple of reasons. One thing I don't like about the cows is seeing them chase off coyotes or wolves but running from a dog. So in the future we'll need to get guardian dogs instead of hunter type. Ours digs but we haven't seen any purpose in his digging yet. He loves to play but 115lbs of dog isn't fun for a 65lb child!!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

BradMarks

Current dog falls under the "it's the easy life". Aussie/Corgi mix, doesn't bury a thing or dig!!, but can't stand Mr. Squirrel or the Cat Burglar, which is fine by me. Growing up, Mom used to burn a lot of toast, and our Border Collie would bury the blackened slab for me to find when weeding the flower beds -even months later.  Now where did I bury that digin1

thecfarm

Now I know why dogs roll in that nasty smelling stuff.
My Aunt came over,and her dog and my dog was running around. One of the dogs found something to roll in,so Monkey See Monkey Do,they both came back stinking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Hershey will role in that dead stinky stuff or find a skunk kill it bring it home and give me this look like can i keep it dad

But she likes saw dust and planer shaveings best

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

That dog really loves you and trust you!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!