TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Mountain_d

• Share Post
Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
I have been in the FF for a while now, but over in the Logging and Chainsaw forms.  I just purchased a new-to-me LT40HD (1995) and find this Sawmilling form very interesting!  A LTAGA sharpener came with the mill, but the previous owner said the auto-sharp control box is non functional.  Woodmizer gave me a replacement price for the box at $400 plus (Canadian).  Those of you that have sharpening experience, if you were me, would you fix the LTAGA or take the $400 and put it towards a new CBN sharpener?  If you think CBN is the way to go, would you get the BMST50 (manual) at $1800 Canadian or the BMS250 (automatic) at $2700 Canadian?  At this point I am mostly sawing for myself and would likely sharpen about 50 blades a year.  In a few years I plan to do some custom work.  I would be ok with the slower rate of sharpening the BMST50, but am curious if there is much difference in the quality of sharpening between the manual and automatic CBN sharpeners?  Are there other companies make sharpeners?  I see Cooks do, but I think they are not CBN wheels?  One more angle, I may be able to get a retired instrumentation tech to check the board for me, but I cannot find a schematic for the printed circuit board.  Woodmizer does not have it.  Anyone out there every repair the printed circuit board on the auto-sharp control box?  Maybe a resistor or something is bad and can be soldered in by someone with those talents - not me that is for sure!
Thanks and looking forward to hearing back.
Mountain D

1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
I have been looking at those sharpeners, and if I understand it right, the manual is a combo, it comes with a setter, and the auto does not.
I have not heard any differences in the quality of their performance, but have no first hand experience.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:56 PM »
I've had a drag sharpener and now have a BMS250.  It's a fine machine, I wish I had bought it first. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:08:55 AM »
For only 50 blades a year you may be better served to use a resharp service. That said, if you have a sharpener you will likely find that you sharpen more often and get better cuts. I can't speak to the CBN sharpener, don't have one. I do have an old LTAGA that I no longer use since getting a Cooks that came along with my mill when I bought it used several years ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »
CBN in an oil bath is the way to go. Or Wood Mizer resharp.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LTAGA Sharpener question(s)

Started by KirkD on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 07:09:15 AM
by ladylake
xx
WM pro series sharpener and Cooks sharpener with pics.

Started by customsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

61 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 08:45:10 PM
by Chuck White
xx
WM sharpener

Started by xlogger on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post November 11, 2017, 09:25:53 PM
by Chuck White
xx
NEED HELP WITH OLD SHARPENER