iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunter safety

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 28, 2017, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, maybe I'm just getting old, venting some (which is usually not a great idea) and this may end up being too controversial and end up in the woodshed so please keep your comments appropriate and tactful.

I am becoming increasingly concerned when I read the news about all the hunters and others hurt this year by "hunters". The last I saw I think it was something like 7 people who shot others or themselves while hunting in Wisconsin. I think it was New York where the lady walking her dogs at or after sunset and was mistaken for a deer and shot by a guy with a pistol of all things. I see a guy from Fla was killed hunting in Ohio. I forget where it was but a "hunter" saw a flash of brown and shot a guys brown truck.

I remember several years working a project in the northern panhandle of WV between Ohio and Pennsylvania and on the first day or so of deer season in Pa I saw one guy on his "deer stand" which was leaning on a billboard pole overlooking I-70. That year or might have been the previous year a lady hunting had to take a bathroom break in the woods and was shot and killed when another "hunter" saw a flash of white (her underwear) and thought it was a deer's tail. I think she still had her orange coat on.

I'd bet all these states have hunter safety programs. Why aren't they working? I am certainly no fan of adding more regulations but how can we stop this?

Yeah - I know "You can't stop stupid."

I have posted before about having a Norwegian daughter (former exchange student) who hunts with her dad over there and she has told me about their regs. First she has to prove she has access to hunting grounds (Member of a club, landowner, etc.). Next she has to fire at least 30 rounds in practice with a DNR equivalent rep from over there observing then hit a 5" target 5 times in a row at 100 meters. The DNR rep then writes her rifle number on her license. If she wants to hunt with different rifles she has to repeat the training and qualification with the subsequent rifle(s). They have to even have access to a trained/certified tracking dog to track down any wounded animals if such happens.

Even that does not always work - a co-worker in 2008 when I was working in Southern Norway was hunting and his best dog had a wounded/dying moose bayed and a guest hunter with them tried to shoot the moose and shot off both front legs of his dog which then had to be put down.

To really stir the pot - it seems the worst reports are coming from the north and east regions of our country and not from the deep south or out west. Maybe I am just not hearing about them there as I am sure they have problems too.

Is this caused by a bunch of careless city slickers who just never grew up with responsible adults constantly beating hunter safety into their brains at an early age and all their formative years? It sure makes me want to pay extra attention to my grandkids hunting training. I like the idea of kids getting responsibly involved in outdoor sports but they need good adult supervision in the process.

If anybody lives in a State with regs and policies that are working I'd love to hear them and I'll pass them along to a friend who is a member of our state congress here. I hunt almost exclusively on my own land but that may not mean I am safe there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Autocar

You already said the answer to the hole problem [ You Can't Fix Stupid ]
Bill

Grizzly

We watch pretty close during hunting season up here. Strangers wandering around in vehicles hoping to see something they can shoot from the cab and stuff like that. Or trespassing on posted land. But the ones we watch for real close are the outfitters. They seem to believe that rules don't apply to them or to the foreign hunters that have paid them. We headed to church one morning and discovered a bunch of American hunters out in our field. I pulled in to say hello and they all introduced themselves and told me they had permission. Well, no fault to them but their outfitter was on scene real quick and talking real fast. I wasn't impressed.

And all guns were lying around with muzzles pointing in no safe direction. I was a little bothered.

Our training is good but redneck dads undue a lot of good things the young ones learn.

And on top of all that......... yeah. You can't fix stupid.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

coxy

this is a good one      my neighbor about 800ft away on top of the hill  who only has 6a of land   him and his 40year old son sits about 200ft from there house they have a 500 or bigger gal propane tank about 30ft from there house well a deer goes between them and the tank the son shoots at the deer never gets it but started to think after the fact oh my did I hit the tank ::) ::) they called the propane co they came up looked at the tank and said well we don't know if you hit the tank so we have to put in a new one charged them for it this time and also told them that the propane in the tank was no longer good cause if there was an impact to the tank it would mess up the molecules in the propane making it unsafe to use  :D  so this summer they put a 16in thick concrete wall around the tank  the concrete guy told him any one with brains would not shoot at there own house     the same guy the father gets a pistol permit and is afraid to take the gun out of the holster because he may shoot him self in the leg I told him don't put your finger in the trigger hole but he don't understand what I'm talking about  this is the people I have to live around  and he don't understand why I don't like him I call him all kinds of names    oh and he use to live in Brooklyn ny so that says it all if you ask me      I don't like to call the law on anyone but this has to stop before one of my family  gets killed   I don't care if they do it to them self

thecfarm

The rule is,identify what you are shooting at.
A women got shot picking rocks and dried flowers here in Maine. She did not know it was hunting season. Than I wonder why Brenda is on me about wearing orange when I am out cutting wood. Which I do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I am uneasy going into the woods during hunting season. Hunters are SUPPOSED to have taken a safety course before being issued a license and tag, big game is on a lottery system, but there are still too many abuses. Two or more hunters go out with one tag, the tag holder claims whatever is taken regardless of who shot it. Alcohol  coupled with adrenaline is a recipe for trouble. Then there are the poachers who didn't get or even apply for a tag. The CO's are doing the best they can but are badly outnumbered.
A couple of years ago two B.C. men were observed trying to load a moose in a truck. On a hunch the plate number was recorded, when the other party returned the animal was lying on the side of the road. It was reported and the offending party was tracked down. It went to court and through an interpretor they claimed they didn't understand the regulations but it wasn't their first offense. The judge reamed them out for not even attempting to field dress the animal and threw the book at them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

cfarm,

I saw where a 14 y/o girl shot a small elk in Missouri a week or so back. She saw antlers and the body but evidently not the rest of the head which was behind a bush so she made a clean killing shot with her .243. When she got to it she realized what she had done. Evidently elk were rare or unheard of in that area and there was no legal season for them. She told her dad and they promptly reported it to their DNR who took possession of the carcass and were going to use the head as a training aid in future hunter safety classes. The last i heard the DNR had not decided on whether to charge her or not since it was an honest mistake and the fact they promptly reported it.

I would not qualify this as a hunter safety issue but it does reiterate the point about seeing your target clearly before shooting. This was a simple mis-identification and they did what they could to make it right after the fact.

I once killed a swimming otter thinking it was a beaver. Both were legal but I honestly would not have shot it if I'd known it was an otter as I had no need for the meat or hide. Otters were relatively rare and unexpected and beaver were plentiful and I had a use for one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Texas has mandatory hunter safety courses for anyone over 12, born after a certain date ( which I forget), Texas rarely has a hunter killed by another hunter, usually they shoot themselves, some how.  We end up with a couple a year, or worse are the outlaw hunters, road hunters, trespassers, etc.  I taught HS for over 15 years and think it helps, but, as has been mentioned, you cannot fix stupid.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Crusarius

Last year they legalized rifles around me. I heard so many ppl bragging about their 30-06 rifles they were going to use and pop dear at 1000 yards. The only way you can see that far in this part of the state is across a farmers field or if you find a nice straight road. What ppl don't understand is that a 30-06 will pass through a 6" diameter tree and still have enough velocity to kill something on the other side. Ppl are just reckless and don't think. When I took hunter education in AZ they drilled into everyone's head KNOW WHAT IS BEHIND YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU SHOOT! you can't take it back.

I shot one deer when living in AZ at about 50 yards with my 30-06 using 125 grain rounds. I hit it dead center of the shoulder. The front dropped and the deer was dead before it hit the ground. Funny thing was the back end was still standing. Nice clean kill. but what sucked was I shattered all the bones across the shoulders and ruined all the meat. After that I decided 30-06 is to big for deer.

Magicman

Quote from: Crusarius on November 29, 2017, 08:03:10 AMWhat ppl don't understand is that a 30-06 will pass through a 6" diameter tree and still have enough velocity to kill something on the other side.
Sorry but no 30-06 hunting bullet will penetrate through any 6" tree species.
QuoteI shot one deer when living in AZ at about 50 yards with my 30-06 using 125 grain rounds.
A .30 caliber, 125 grain bullet would be designed for varmint shooting and inappropriate for deer.  It would be expected to do exactly what it did.  A 30-06 shooting 150+ grain hunting bullets is an accepted normal for deer hunting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Well if what MM says holds true, then I reckon a many folks using 125g broadheads during archery is inappropriate as well?  Not wanting to argue the point on recommended loads, but if this kind of thinking is employed, then I suppose all of us using 270's with a 130 gr ballistic is inappropriate too?  WV, not trying to take away from your original post, or the need for more common sense and safety during any hunting season, it's tragic when a life is lost, or wounded due to senseless idiots behind weapons.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I have to disagree with you, Lynn, lots of rifle bullets and some pistol bullets will penetrate a 6" tree!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

David, your arrowhead example is completely out of context, and a .270 shooting a 130 grain bullet is a poor comparison with a 30-06 shooting a 125 grain bullet.

Chuck, I said "hunting" bullet. 

Someone needs to show me the bullet hole through a 6" tree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2017, 11:38:36 AM
David, your arrowhead example is completely out of context, and a .270 shooting a 130 grain bullet is a poor comparison with a 30-06 shooting a 125 grain bullet.

Chuck, I said "hunting" bullet. 

Someone needs to show me the bullet hole through a 6" tree.
Its all out of context,  Lynn, anything traveling 2500fps has tremendous static shock, around hear folks use 243's with   great success,  this is not Colorado hills for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

When I hunted deer I used a 30-06, 150 grain hollow point, it very seldom, none that I can remember (nice thing about being old) that went through the deer, mostly neck shots, an occasional heart shot. 

And the comparison of a broad head to a bullet is a non issue, completely different lethal effect.

Will a 30-06 go through a 6" tree?  Not a hollow point, maybe a military round, bronze or copper, black tip, but they are not hunting rounds.

Just my experience.

drobertson

Before anyone else gets on the high horse about my comment of a broad head compared to a bullet, let me state for a fact I'm aware of the differences.  My point being some what sarcastic has been misunderstood to some that may believe I would even compare the two. This said in defense of the 30-06 125 gr, round being  an inappropriate round for deer,, well, not knowing anything of the charge, the ballistics of the round or anything else for that matter concerning the comment on his deer is pointless, the man got his deer, and I applaud him.  And what little I know of many ballistic tipped rounds, they will waste some meat, but are very effective in humane kills.

Crusarius

I am really starting to regret even making my comment. Next time I will just keep it to myself.

Texas Ranger

Naw, we talk, no hostility, mostly observations, everyone has an opinion, everybody views a comment different, so, pass it on and let it die on it's own.  Think of it as talkin around the camp fire.

coxy

jmop   I hate an 06 lost 3 deer one year with one and traded it in on a ruger m77 mark 2 260 short barrel  best thing I ever did  8) 8)  it fits my daughter great so I lose it when she goes hunting  :'(   :) I like my 22hornet also but need to pick your shot  retired my 300mag after buying a regular meat grinder  ;D I cant hit the brood side of a barn with a 30-30 really like my 50cal black powder just wish the season was longer for it                            Crusarius don't take it personal we all get our feathers ruffled every now and again  ;D  but in the next post every thing is back to normal  thats what makes the FF  best place  on earth   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

WV Sawmiller

I use 30-06 with 150 gr softpoint with very good effect on deer. I don't think I ever shot one over 100 yards as rarely see on that far away where I hunt. I use 125 gr broadheads because that is what I started with and don't want to change everything and resight in my bow, although going from 125 to 100 gr would likely make little difference.

Okay, back on point - I read tonight where somebody in Michigan shot a red and white horse that came to his bait thinking it was a deer. I feel sorry for the owner.

On a lighter note that reminded me of an article I read in an old outdoor mag one time about a guy out in Arizona, I think, coming up on a city slicker dragging a wild burro he had shot and was bragging about his "mule deer". The writer said he never said a word and even helped him drag it a while. Writer did say he always wondered what it tasted like. :D (See - all threads do eventually get back to food one way or another ;D)
Howard Green

Crusarius

its all about the food.

My feathers not ruffled just didn't care for the direction the thread was heading.

Its all good. I do like the ppl on this forum more than almost all the other forums I frequent. Course you guys can't beat my own forum :)

Texas Ranger

Old joke, hunter shoots a "deer", cowboy says " Can I get my saddle off?

coxy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 29, 2017, 07:59:30 PM
   coming up on a city slicker dragging a wild burro he had shot and was bragging about his "mule deer". The writer said he never said a word and even helped him drag it a while. Writer did say he always wondered what it tasted like. :D (See - all threads do eventually get back to food one way or another ;D)
grits  that what it would have tasted like  :D

WV Sawmiller

Tex,

Yes, I had heard that one.

Coxy,

Are you saying that even an old burro would be a tasty meal as long as you served him with a good helping of well cooked grits? They are a wonderful food but even they have some limits. :D
Howard Green

coxy

every thing food related must have the word grits in it  I don't eat them  steve_smiley steve_smiley  cfarm and I are on the same page with them but he has a box of them at home  :o  I wont let them in my house  :D

Thank You Sponsors!