iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunter safety

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 28, 2017, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Ayup,I have a lifetime supply of grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

I have a 25-06 and I shoot 120 grain hp's or 117 grain btsp's both is pured hell on a deer the last one I shot left a big hole when it came out at 125 yards
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Yup, as long as you pay attention to ballistic coefficient charts you are OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I still keep thinking about a 243. Would love to build and AR but NY safe act is a killer there and the .223 round is in my opinion a little to small for deer.

Claybraker

Yup. If Remington ever makes a model 7 left hand I'll buy one if it's in an acceptable caliber, and .243 is on my short list, mostly 'cause I don't own one.  There's a dizzying array of calibers that weren't around 50 years ago when I first started hunting with my Dad.  Back then it was the 30.06 or the 30-30 around these parts.  Other calibers existed,  and I could read about them in outdoor magazines,  but they were all used in places I could only dream about hunting  and species I could only fantasize about as a 10 year old. .243 and the .270 have managed to stand the test of time.  It will be interesting to see how many of the current crop of new calibers make the grade. My guess is not many.

sandhills

Going back to the burro story, my highschool  wood shop teacher worked in a filling station growing up, one day an out of state car full of hunters pulled up and were so proud of all the "quail" they'd gotten.  They popped the trunk to show him and he said it was full of meadowlarks, our state bird  :D.  He said I just let them go and didn't tell them any different.

Grizzly

.243 is the smallest caliber allowed for game hunting here in SK. Probably more of Canada cause I seem to remember that it was that way in BC as well. Smaller caliber's were leaving too many wounded critters not being found.

My son took down a nice bear with his .243. It's hanging on the wall now. (just the rug)

We've got 30-30, .270, .243, and .223 in our house so lots of arguments........ sorry, discussions take place. I tease that the 30-30 is like a good quarterback. So long as the bullet spirals instead of tumbles it'll go a little ways. Stirs quite a bit of reply.  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

LeeB

I guess ya'll are really going to have a field day when I tell you I hunt with a 30-06, 200 grain.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BradMarks

LeeB:  are those round nose?  I shoot 150 for deer and 180 for elk, 30.06.  Somewhere in the range of 250-300 yds uphill, (I say 250, buddies say much longer) I shot an elk that the bullet went thru the right front shoulder/leg (tricep?) muscle, thru one side of rib cage clean, no internals (which is weird), barely nicked a rib bone other side, thru the same opposite muscle left shoulder and lodged against the hide, no exit hole!  Tumbled down the hill, broke a tine, finally bled out. Perhaps that is my effective max range? Or a freak shot?  Most kills have been relatively close since then.

Claybraker

Here in Georgia our deer tend to be smaller size, and distances also tend to be short-  75 yds or so.  maybe even 50 yds or less.  'gators get some size to them, but a .22 is what most people use for them. Shot placement is everything.  As far as shooting Brown Bears, I've been up close and personal with Ursus Horribilis, and Horrible describes their breath perfectly.  I'd want something with a lanyard to shoot one. My buddy's .35 Whelen maybe.

sawguy21

Quote from: Grizzly on December 01, 2017, 10:24:52 AM
.243 is the smallest caliber allowed for game hunting here in SK. Probably more of Canada cause I seem to remember that it was that way in BC as well. Smaller caliber's were leaving too many wounded critters not being found.

My son took down a nice bear with his .243. It's hanging on the wall now. (just the rug)

We've got 30-30, .270, .243, and .223 in our house so lots of arguments........ sorry, discussions take place. I tease that the 30-30 is like a good quarterback. So long as the bullet spirals instead of tumbles it'll go a little ways. Stirs quite a bit of reply.  ;D
That must have been an extremely well placed shot, normally a .243 would just make the bear mad.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

I'm quite sure 200 grain is way overkill for what i hunt, laugh- haven't shot a deer in years. It's just what I started with and didn't know any better or different so stayed with it. Actually I moved down a notch to 180 the last couple of times I shot one. Our deer aren't real big and now that I have learned a little something here I'm quite sure I don't even need that. I do want to try hunting with a diferent rifle and have thought about a 243. I'm no big hunter. Know very little about different guns. I just remember my brother had a 243 when we were younger. Last thing I shot with the 30-06 was a big wild boar and he dropped in his tracks.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

It's true, so many folks grew up hunting what they were taught with, and of course what worked.  After working nearly 20 years with an Austrian tool maker,/trophy hunter,  I've learned plenty about whats' expected in different area's and countries for that matter.  All that said, it's a common conversation around these parts about calibers and loads, and the funny thing is and I've heard it many times over, " why there's been more deer killed with a 30-30 than any other gun around these parts,"  And I am close to believing it, my first deer was with a model 94 Winchester 30-30, and to add salt to the wound of a few missed (good bucks) with a bow, only found out the one of them was shot with none other than a 30-30, a ten year old's first deer,  :D   go figure, that one,,back the the main point, there will always be folks with guns that just should not have them, and others that are of the greedy (early season) hunters, and night time hunters, well, not much to say,, lower than dirt,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Claybraker

Quote from: drobertson on December 01, 2017, 01:39:35 PM
,back the the main point, there will always be folks with guns that just should not have them,

Pretty much. Hunting related accidents seem to be on the decline, at least around here, but the number of firearms related accidents have been on the increase, with the increased popularity of carrying or owning a firearm for self defense. I really shouldn't call them accidents, my safety director at the phone company didn't believe such a thing existed. Some outcomes are predictable. Leaving a loaded firearm where a curious 5 year old can get their hands on it. It happens all too often down here.

Magicman

PatD sent her .243 to E. R. Shaw many years ago and had it re-barreled to a 7mm-08.  It is sweet shooting and what I shot the coyote with this morning.  140 gr. bullet is dead meat and I have lost track of how many deer she has killed with it.

It's what Jeff shot his "Magic Buck" with last January.  Magic Bucks 2016
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Around here, the array of 7mm's is very popular!

I have a  Rem. model 7 in 7mm-08, TC ProHunter in a 280, Rem model 700BDL (circa '62) in 7mm Mag!

With a proper hit, it doesn't take much to drop a WhiteTail!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

My Norwegian daughter (former exchange student) and her dad use 6.5 mm rifles (approximately .260 caliber) to hunt reindeer, their deer which are similar to our elk and moose and find it very effective. I do not know what bullet weights they are using.

I have always said I preferred 30-06 and .270 because of the diversity of bullet loads available for different kinds of game.

Not strictly related to hunter safety as long as the shooter knows his target and background but does bleed over into the ethical hunting issues.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

For several years I carried my .280 to Wyoming and Colorado as my hunting rifle.  Not thinking one year I shot "too" many times at the shooting range thinking that I could buy more cartridges at the store.  That is when I found out never to carry an "odd ball" caliber.  I killed a bull Elk on opening day that year but I have always carried a 30-06 as my primary shooter since then.  When we both hunted Marty and I both carried 30-06's so that our cartridges were interchangeable.

Chuck White

Good idea Lynn!

I've reloaded since 1974 and over the time, I've accumulated 35 sets of dies, smallest caliber is the 17 Remington and the largest is the 45-70 Government!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!