The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Compact tractor sized forwarding trailer?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Compact tractor sized forwarding trailer?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Last night as I was explaining to my wife a second time why the junk forklift I drug home was such a good deal... :), I realized another nice bit about it.

A hydraulic drive axle!  Or at least I think it's hydraulic drive. 

If you are thinking build instead of buy, would be worth looking at some junk equipment or equipment salvage yards.  A combine rear axle could give you a steerable powered axle for tight trails...

I've also thought that an old 4x4 hydrostat combine stripped down and reversed would make a good redneck forwarder, but may be too wide for a lot of people. 

There's also a thread on here somewhere where someone built a small forwarder out of an old ditch witch trencher.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
Here ya go:

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
Mike & Skeans1

Is this what you are talking about?

Looks like a great machine, but the price SK550,000 (Swedish Krona) amounts to over US$65,000. A good bit out of out range.
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »
Bigblue12v is member here also, yes he has built some impressive stuff.

The only advantage those homemade forwarders have over a two wheel drive tractor and trailer is, that they turn a little sharper and have a bit more traction on the drive axle. Probably fine for a couple of cords.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that.
If you look at the link I put up that's a much cheaper option

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?
No idea but found a video of the smaller one that's self contained it looks like it'd do 16's but I don't think you'd be doing 20's.

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
Another advantage of the  2wd tractor forwarder hack is what I call the wiggle factor. If it is somewhat stuck there is a fair chance that a wiggle, by steering left and right, will free it. A lot of old tractors with patched front ends and worn out steering boxes out there, also less desk desirable narrow front ends. Although brakes would be nice.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline chubby

• Staying busy is the only way to stay sane.
    • Share Post
    • GRAPPLEPROS
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »
Hey John, by what youre describing you want to do Id have a serious look at the FARMA 4.2-6 (site sponsor too)
Its a 14 telescopic boom that uses a 4 cylinder rack and pinion turnhouse. The trailer has a capacity of 6 tons, the length is adjustable and comes with metal encased foldable brake lights/ flashers.
http://forsmw.com/forestry-trailer-with-crane/ct-42-6?group=prod_prod_grp-s1%2F26

Shoot me a pm if you want.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 11:08:46 PM »
Chubby - thanks for the link. I looked at the Farma offerings and I'd love to own one, but I'm afraid they are just too big for what we need. We'd be happy with a 3 ton capacity (and could live with 2.5 ton payload). I had actually contacted someone asking if any smaller units were planned for the future, but was told that is not in your plans.

Any chance you guys are going to be at the Northeast Forest Products Equipment Expo in Essex Jct, Vermont on May 11-12? I'm going to be checking out equipment there, if we haven;t already made the leap. It's usually quite a show.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
Chubby - thanks for the link. I looked at the Farma offerings and I'd love to own one, but I'm afraid they are just too big for what we need. We'd be happy with a 3 ton capacity (and could live with 2.5 ton payload). I had actually contacted someone asking if any smaller units were planned for the future, but was told that is not in your plans.

Any chance you guys are going to be at the Northeast Forest Products Equipment Expo in Essex Jct, Vermont on May 11-12? I'm going to be checking out equipment there, if we haven;t already made the leap. It's usually quite a show.
It's cool show I've been to it once in the early 2000's is a different kind of show then what we get here in the PNW is nice seeing some smaller equipment for once.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »

It's cool show I've been to it once in the early 2000's is a different kind of show then what we get here in the PNW is nice seeing some smaller equipment for once.

Yeah. I've been several times, since I live about 30 miles from the Essex Junction location. It always draws a good crowd.

Offline chubby

• Staying busy is the only way to stay sane.
    • Share Post
    • GRAPPLEPROS
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »

Yeah. I've been several times, since I live about 30 miles from the Essex Junction location. It always draws a good crowd.

Yes absolutely we'll be there. We were there in 2016 and it was alot of fun so we've decided to double the size of our booth in the spring. We'll have a bunch of cool new things as well as some free goodies for forum members (might even be a few cold ones in the cooler for those who can handle Candian beer  8) )

Offline AnvilRW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
I bought a used one of these for about $6K.  Works pretty good but it can be a little janky in operation when grapple is near capacity especially if the trailer is empty.  You just have to mind what you're doing and how you're set up.  I think the track width needs widening for my terrain but its narrowness can be a plus.  The bunk length will take an 8-footer but I've had 12s on it as long as you keep it hooked up to your tow vehicle.

http://www.grpanderson.com/en/descriptive-sheet/?id=8276
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcomein the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Offline AnvilRW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
Another idea for you: I bought an old New Holland hay wagon running gear locally for $250, dirt cheap but needed tires.  It's 20' long and the length is adjusted by changing the length of the center connecting pipe.  It's four wheel, front steer, has a 10K load capacity.  Just needed to put some bolsters on it and it's good to go.  Nice because with no tongue weight or landing gear, you can just park it where you want it to load it up and then haul it off.  With the self-loading trailer you have to stay hooked up to it.  Since I do my skidding with a CTL, I just skid to the trailer and then load the log directly.  If I use the self-loader, it's a two step operation.  If I have room for the modded hay wagon, it's faster work.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcomein the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 07:19:53 AM »
Do the have a parking brake of any sort?  Ive been kicking the hay wagon idea around but none have come my way.  Theres a stripped motor home chassis near my house that ive considered haggling for to put bunks and a drawbar then pull behind my dozer

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »
The tongue that slides is easier to hook up. Seen them with brakes but never parking brakes. Never seen an old one with any brakes.

Jeff

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
Mike, I thought you had a kiln full of "parking brakes" drying.   ;D  :D

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/39545

That motor home chassis would be heavier than a travel trailer or mobile home frame.  IE, it should do the job. 

Don't guess your dozer has a 3 point on the back.  Makes moving tounge heavy pintle hitch trailers real easy.   ;) 

If not, Mother Earth News had an article on using a car frame as a hay wagon including tying a tounge to the tie rods for steering.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/hay-wagon-zmaz76mazhar

The best tongues have a slide extension that can be unlocked and pulled forward to hitch, then back the tractor up to hit a spring loaded pin to lock position, then drive off.  Always made sure that wagon was my lead before we got a gooseneck hay trailer as wagons are harder to move when loaded and can be a real pain to hook up loaded without a spotter.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
I wish it did have a 3pt but dozer only has a drawbar for now.  And i broke the kiln again so i guess my parking brakes will be wet!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Compact tractor log trailer

Started by John Mc on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 06:57:26 PM
by John Mc
xx
Foresty Trailer w/grapple for Compact tractor

Started by WAP Man on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 08:28:50 PM
by jpgreen