iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interior Framing Question

Started by ehewitt05, December 20, 2017, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehewitt05

Anyone here use rough cut Poplar at all to frame? I am looking to frame out a basement and got a price for a tri-axle of Eastern Hemlock, but then thought wonder what is cheaper out there, and how that would be to work with.

Any feedback?

ChugiakTinkerer

Provided you don't need kiln drying for pest control, I don't see why not.  The IRC requires you to use graded or engineered lumber for load supporting purposes (R602.1).  Assuming all loads are being adequately supported by the existing structure, your framing will be cosmetic and not structural.

Someone who knows what they're talking about may be along shortly to correct me.  :laugh:
Woodland Mills HM130

Don P

I've used quite a bit of poplar framing and like it. In a basement if you gave me the choice I would use the hemlock. I can't back it up with anything but it seems to be less thirsty. In the end either one dry will work and either one wet would not though.

ChugiakTinkerer

I do recall reading somewhere on this forum that dry poplar can be a pain to nail into.  Of course there's many species that get called poplar so it's probably best to grab a few samples of the wood in question to make sure it will suit your needs.
Woodland Mills HM130

Thank You Sponsors!