iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowmobiling Upstate NY

Started by Crusarius, December 06, 2017, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Quote from: reride82 on December 21, 2017, 06:34:02 PM
I'm hoping to get out after the first of the year. Our snow down low hasn't been great, but over 7500' I hear its pretty decent. Are you guys limited to trails and lakes? One benefit to all the national forest out here is that most of the terrain is fair game, if you can get to it, that's why I have a long track  ;)

yea, pretty much stuck to state trails and lakes that the trails run across. after living in AZ and having all the freedom of wide open places to explore snowmobiling is the only option for that in NY

Crusarius

Bummer of a day yesterday. Out riding with a friend, finally get some local riding. Get to a pretty ugly water crossing. This little voice in my head says "you probably don't want to do that today". So we both decided to go back the other way.

After turning around I start noticing my drivers side knuckle is bouncing around quite a bit. I started thinking no big deal its probably just worn out bushings. We get to a trail crossing and I decide to take a look at it. When I grabbed it to shake it there was alot more than bushing movement. Of course you couldn't see anything till the pipe was removed.

Apparently before I purchased the sled someone had hit something with it. You could see the hammer marks where they tried to straighten the aluminum bulkhead. Over time it just tore off. Good news was we were not far from the shop so went back to the shop and called it a day.

Only my second ride of the year and broke :( I might have 15 miles on it so far. guess I can't complain to much the last 3 years have been flawless.

snowstorm

thats a very well known ski doo problem

Crusarius

probably would have been fine if the previous owner did not hit something. The other side looks fine.

florida

We spent Christmas out in Fraser, CO where we had a 4 hour snowmobile trip scheduled. The weather didn't cooperate with enough snow so the best we could do was a 1 hour guided trip that was actually about 40 minutes of riding. It was pretty lame but gave us a taste of snowmobiles. As far as the actual riding it seemed very much like riding one of my 4 wheelers except for the freezing part! What I'd really like about it would be the ability to ride anywhere there is enough snow. We're going to do it again and hope for more snow next time.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

petefrom bearswamp

Went to my ADK camp thursday in warm weather.
Sat out the warm warm warm and rainy stuff friday.
Got to 0 over night and snowed about 10 " on Saturday.
Didnt ride much then only 15 miles or so but was nice.
Was -16 Sunday AM and we headed home.
Plan to head back up in 2 weeks weather permitting.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I need to fix my sled so I can get some miles in. Unfortunately the riding is taking from the mill building time. I just can't win.

Crusarius

Quote from: Crusarius on January 15, 2018, 07:44:32 AM
Bummer of a day yesterday. Out riding with a friend, finally get some local riding. Get to a pretty ugly water crossing. This little voice in my head says "you probably don't want to do that today". So we both decided to go back the other way.

After turning around I start noticing my drivers side knuckle is bouncing around quite a bit. I started thinking no big deal its probably just worn out bushings. We get to a trail crossing and I decide to take a look at it. When I grabbed it to shake it there was alot more than bushing movement. Of course you couldn't see anything till the pipe was removed.

Apparently before I purchased the sled someone had hit something with it. You could see the hammer marks where they tried to straighten the aluminum bulkhead. Over time it just tore off. Good news was we were not far from the shop so went back to the shop and called it a day.

Only my second ride of the year and broke :( I might have 15 miles on it so far. guess I can't complain to much the last 3 years have been flawless.

So I am one crazy lucky person. This is what the nun / front crossmember looked like when I pulled it.

This is what the new one looks like.

I cannot believe how bad it was. if this had failed any other way it could have been very bad for me. The original came out in 3 pieces. Good news is it looks like everything is going to go back together pretty easy. I managed to break one of the lower control arm bolts and messed up the channel on the bulkhead that is supposed to keep the nuts from spinning. But other than that is was pretty easy tearing it all down. Hopefully get it all back together tomorrow. I am using bolts to put it back together wonder if I should use loctite?

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Looks like a snowy week in the Adirondacks. We are headed there on Monday.

Not sure if it is me but wow these sleds take some work to keep them going.   

New engine in XP last year. Huge list of issues on the black sled. If you have a 08 XP there is not much that has not happened to that sled. I call it the money pit.

Do the snow dance.
M

Weather man link.   http://www.ilsnow.com/weather/

Pete not sure where you camp is. If you are up there PM me I would love to meet.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Crusarius

I love the teeth :)

Mine is an 06 600 SDI. Not sure I will ever get a carb'd sled again. This is also the first sled I kept more than 2 seasons.

Crusarius

Marty, how long you going to be up there?

coxy

if anyone one is in to  racing skidoo I could give you some tips to lighten up your sled but it cant be for snow cross   

moosehunter

Crusarius,  there is a guy that makes a bulkhead reinforce bracket to address that problem.  I cannot find his ad in this issue of Super trax but see it often in Snotech.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

justallan1

Well hopefully today I get to go ride mine a bit. Last night nearly every highway for about a hundred miles in any direction was shut down to emergency use only, so if it quits snowing and blowing then I'm going to play.
The ranch I work for is in 3 counties with a small mountain range right in the middle and generally I only get enough snow to make feeding a pain in the butt, hopefully today is different.....
I just bought a sled last month off the local yard sale site and although I've only got to ride it maybe 20 miles at most, I like it.
It's a 2001 Artic Cat 500 efi with about 2000 miles on it. Granted I don't know anything about these things, but I figured that it and a store bought tilt trailer was worth the $950 I had to spend for it.
I bought the thing in hopes that it offers something for the girlfriend and myself something to do outdoors, but also to possibly go cut some burls. I've only rode it twice so far, once to get some escapee cows and once for just goofing off. I've only wound it up to about 45 MPH, but it sure seems like it's got plenty more.

petefrom bearswamp

Good luck with your new toy Alan.
Marty I go 2 places.
My camp near Long Lake and ride toward Indian Lake and sometimes toward Old /forge, but refuse to pay their trail fee.
this camp is 6-1/2 miles in and we have to skiboose our supplies in but it is all part of the adventure.
The other spot is in St Lawrence co. village of DeGrasse.
Drive to the front door, trail goes right past camp.
This place sleeps 12 or so, so maybe we can meet there sometime and save you high lodging fees.
Traditionally trails are well looked after and not too much traffic in either place.
Have rode Tug Hill three times  this year a couple of weeks ago 100 mi each time, but am now waiting for snow cover to build.
We ride almost exclusively in daylight hrs as the crazies seem to appear after dark.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I like riding at night. easier to see the craziness coming around the corners.

Crusarius

Allan thats not a bad sled for a killer price. The cheapest sled I ever see around here is a clapped out one for 1500.

MartyParsons

Be in Old Forge area till Sat.
Staying on Forth Lake. Hopefully make at least one loop through Indian lake ( trail of tears) and around to Cranberry Lake and back to Stillwater .

Never purchased a new sled, always used and made them work.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 04, 2018, 09:23:15 AM
Good luck with your new toy Alan.
Marty I go 2 places.
My camp near Long Lake and ride toward Indian Lake and sometimes toward Old /forge, but refuse to pay their trail fee.
this camp is 6-1/2 miles in and we have to skiboose our supplies in but it is all part of the adventure.
The other spot is in St Lawrence co. village of DeGrasse.
Drive to the front door, trail goes right past camp.
This place sleeps 12 or so, so maybe we can meet there sometime and save you high lodging fees.
Traditionally trails are well looked after and not too much traffic in either place.
Have rode Tug Hill three times  this year a couple of weeks ago 100 mi each time, but am now waiting for snow cover to build.
We ride almost exclusively in daylight hrs as the crazies seem to appear after dark.
Pete I use to bear hunt the other side of long lake stayed at the state camp ground  also hunted up by the long lake reservoir talked to a hiker one day said he left his tent and most of his gear about 2 miles up from the reservoir cause there was numerous bears ripping thins apart said he will never hike that part of the trail again  also hunted up at butter milk falls that a neat place

Jack S

Wow Marty, That will be some trip. Indian lake and cranberry lake are two different directions almost 180 degrees. Have a camp near eagle bay on fourth lake and snowmobiled that country back in the 80's Anyway you will enjoy every bit of your trip. Actually fourth lake to long lake to cranberry to stillwater and back will make for a long day. No groomed trails on that trip that I remember. To cold for this ol man. would love to see a after the trip report.  stay safe  Jack

Crusarius

Definitely sounds like a good trip marty. I have friend in indian lake so I know the area. Love to get some local riding so I can test my sled locally and not have a 3 or 4 hour drive to find out I missed something.

petefrom bearswamp

Marty have a great time.
Wow that is a long days ride.
We rode from my LL camp around to Indian Lake, then to the Moose River plains and back across Raquette and then back to camp \.
Dark when we got back.
As I recall about 150 miles or so.
This was 4 years ago when I was young and I was still pooped.
Trails there are usually very well taken care of.
If you ride the plains be aware that the forest ranger has a radar gun and is not afraid to use it.
WE dodged a bullet on that trip as i was leading at about 55 and he was shooting sleds coming the other way.
Low speed limit there, I think 25.
Coxy I spent quite a lot of time by the LL reservoir and mt Sabbatis hunting back in the 60s.
My friends dad was forest ranger at that time.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

yea. they have gotten much stricter on sleds. if you are on a park road with a posted limit of 25 you have to obey it. Makes fo no fun on the long roads that are the perfect dragstrip.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

starmac

Never knew that they would actually ticket you a trail.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!