The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: castiron  (Read 7715 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
Re: castiron
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
My brother found an old pan that wa s rusted really bad.  I took it and sand blasted it.  Once he cleaned and reseasoned it was good to go!

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
My family has been using Revereware since just after the invention of fire. :D Never any problems. I now have my grandmother's. I would never use a non-stick pan. I also have a large collection of Griswold cast iron, but have never used any of them. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
My family has been using Revereware since just after the invention of fire. :D Never any problems. I now have my grandmother's. I would never use a non-stick pan. I also have a large collection of Griswold cast iron, but have never used any of them.
Except for frying pans and dutch ovens, all my sauce pans are Revere ware made in Rome, NY.
A couple of my cast iron pans were my Grand Mothers.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »
Some where,Lord only knows because I don't I must have an entire double stack oven of cast iron.Muffin pans in the shape of an ear of corn,dutch oven,10" skillet that belonged to my great great grandmother etc .I hadn't been able to use them until about a year ago when the glass top counter unit got broken .Good riddance,replaced it with a resistance unit .
 I have a 12" Lodge plus two smaller skillets my lady friend donated .I clean them with just water heated to a boil in the skillet with just a brush and dry them on the burner .A little peanut oil,good to go .Nothing on this earth fries potatoes or pork chops like a cast iron skillet .

Offline daddyscott2001

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »
I bought a newer Lodge, and while the material was good - the casting was very rough.  I had seen a suggestion on one forum or another to use a random orbit sander to smooth out the roughness from the casting a bit and then season.  I did so and with the first attempt at seasoning, the skillet was slicker than any new fangled Teflon skillet!!!  Just another option if you have a rough one you are trying to get whipped into shape!

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »
Thanks for bumping this! I got a Lodge from the thrift shop to give to my daughter as a jul gift, and forgot all about it. It's in good shape, but I wanted to wash and season it for her. She's coming down this wekend. Lodge was always my least favorite brand due to the rough casting, but that's all we've got from USA anymore if you want to buy new. Most of my stuff is Wagner that I got new when they were still around. I also have a Griswold waffle iron I picked up used somewhere.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »
    We did a couple of vacations with a private guide from South Africa. They cook a lot in cast iron an don open grills called a braai. We enjoyed it and Koos told us they have national contests in south Africa where they cook various dishes in cast iron using hot coals. I would love to get the job as the judge. digin1

Reminds me of the funny story about the American getting tagged to be a guest judge in India in a curry cook-off. That did not end so well for him but funny reading the reviews from the 3 judges.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
I paid more for the lid of that 12" Lodge than I did for the skillet .I've got a 16"  that I bought at Williamsburg pottery in Virginia and the lid at the French market in Columbus Ohio .Lord only knows where it's at  the moment .Talk about heavy .That big old thing goes on rocks in a camp fire .Talk about a huge mess of fried potatoes ,feed half the neighborhood . 8)

Offline daddyscott2001

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »
Thanks for bumping this! I got a Lodge from the thrift shop to give to my daughter as a jul gift, and forgot all about it. It's in good shape, but I wanted to wash and season it for her. She's coming down this wekend. Lodge was always my least favorite brand due to the rough casting, but that's all we've got from USA anymore if you want to buy new. Most of my stuff is Wagner that I got new when they were still around. I also have a Griswold waffle iron I picked up used somewhere.
Years ago I saw a waffle iron with the stand and the joint at the back where you can flip it over (I think it was a Griswold?), they wanted $80 for it and I thought that was high.  When I got to where I could check prices (I was new to vintage cast iron then) - I was very unhappy with passing that piece up!!!

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »

Years ago I saw a waffle iron with the stand and the joint at the back where you can flip it over (I think it was a Griswold?), they wanted $80 for it and I thought that was high.  When I got to where I could check prices (I was new to vintage cast iron then) - I was very unhappy with passing that piece up!!!
That's exactly what I have. Mine has the metal coil heat guards, but I think they were also made with wood on some models. That's also about what I paid. $60 or $80 are both in my head, but I got it years ago, so I can't quite remember. I do remember jumping on it cause I never saw one that cheap before. I had been looking for a waffle iron for awhile. Griswolds especially command high prices. Maybe Wagner does too anymore. They were reasonable when I bought them new.
My father had a really big pan, but I can't remember who made it. It was either Griswold or Wagner. I gave to the nurse practitioner that was caring for him when he was sick, but could still be home for a bit. It was an African woman with a large family, and she liked the pan. I figured she could put it to better use than I could. I'm sometimes regretful I gave it up, but that's silly. Better that it went to a good home, but still...

Offline coalsmok

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »
When my wife and I went on our honeymoon I bought her a 17 lodge skillet. It lives on the stove, she loves it as she can cook all the steaks or pork chops for dinner at the same time. Or potatoes on one side and steaks on the other.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
The problem with a big skillet ,16" 17" or even a 12" on an electric stove is you normally don't have a burner large enough .Gas is a little different and not only is more adjustable but also responds faster .I really wish I had gas .Then again great great grandmother somehow managed with a wood fired cook stove .

Offline coalsmok

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
We have propane and sometimes use two burners under our big one.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
Just re read this thread. regarding Revere ware, we had it when we were first hitched, but it has disapeared over the years as wifey is now on her at least 5th set of cookware.
The biggest boondoggle is the Le cruset enameled cast iron.
It hangs on the pot holder I made years ago and looks pretty.

The LeCrusert is on the left,  the latest high priced crap on the right
I do use the Lecruyset to boil water sometimes.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline TACOMATODD

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
I just recently got through sanding to smooth the REALLY rough spots in a few of my cast iron PCs of cookware. They are great for our outdoor activities. The wife seems to like to cook in them, but I have the hardest time getting her to take care of them, so it falls back to me if it needs to be done right. Good thing I season them proper, or the whole shabang would be much more difficult. But everyone loves the way the food turns out, no matter who cooks in it.
Trying harder everyday

Offline SupFellers

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
I made some nummy bourbon brownies from scratch with a homemade caramel sauce the other day. Cast iron is awesome for baking -- especially when it's well seasoned! 

Cold and rainy is the best baking weather  :-*

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." JKR

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
Looks like one is missing :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SupFellers

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
Looks like one is missing :D.
I needed one for the pretty caramel drizzle pic!  ;D
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." JKR

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
Looks really good!

I like cooking with castiron!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
The other day I was in an antique/junque shop and picked up this cast iron pot for $6.

With a little work using the wire wheel on an angle grinder and some seasoning it came out very nice. I gave it to a friend for her birthday. She had been asking me to keep my eye out for one.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter