iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT70 Super Wide (Vidjayo on da way)

Started by 4x4American, December 12, 2017, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I took a video of sawing a few logs on the new mill about a month ago after I had a couple weeks to get used to the controls.  I had a hard time uploading it to youtube because youtube said it was too long.  So I kinda gave up on it...until now, I was looking back at some pictures on my phone and came across the video that I had forgotten about.  I went on the internet and looked up to see if there was a way to get around it and there was.  Took me a little while, but here I figgered it out...uploading it right from my phone, right now it's at 4% and says there's 40 minutes left so if it finishes before I fall asleep I'll post it here.

Getting used to the controls on the mill took a little while.  I'm still not 100% in sync with them but getting closer.  See what we do is run the mill for a day or half a day and make stock to further process into pallet cutstock depending on what my main pallet guys needs that day.  Their needs change daily sometimes hourly.  Keeping up with them can be a challenge and that was a big part of going to a faster mill, not to mention trying to take care of some other pallet shops in addition to retail orders.  So I'm not running the thing all the time every day (yet). 

The biggest problem I have with the controls is the feed stick is too finicky.  You don't have a dial that you use to set the speed typically.  There is a dial that sets the max speed, and there is a cruise control that needs a little bit of work.  I think that the cruise control should be like how it is on a car.  You set the cruise control, and if you need to go a bit faster, hit the accelerator and it speeds up, then when you let off it goes back to where it was set.  On this cruise control, you set it, and then if you want to go faster, you have to cancel out of cruise control mode (stopping the head) and then get back on the joystick and try to figure out where you wanted to be.  By that time you coulda finished the cut sometimes so you might as well leave it and lose production from sawing too slow.  In normal sawing, you wanna go faster, pull it harder.  Which is fine, but you have to be real steady holding it cause it's soo touchy that you can jerk the head too fast and it will overfeed and stall the engine if you don't save it in time, or the blade will just rise out of the cut.  Something I've found interesting:  on this mill the blade tends to rise when it gets into trouble.  On the lt40, the blade would more frequently dive if it got into trouble.  I'm sure it has something to do with the alignment, I haven't touched the alignment on this saw since I got it a few months ago. 

This mill has pretty much done everything I've asked it to do.  The headrig is much beefier, it can stand up to dragging back heavy cants and ties.  The 40 could do it but it really didn't want to and I constantly broke the welds on the dragback.  The only thing I think it really needs is heated joysticks cause in any kinda cold my fingers that had pins put in them get so cold I can't hardly press the buttons.  Also, you're just standing there, not moving around so that gets cold quick, think about sitting in a tree stand, that kinda deep cold that goes down to your bones and takes the fun away.  I mentioned it to a rep at the WM NY dealer and he said he doesn't see why they couldn't make em heated I'm gonna nudge him again see if he can look into that for me...I know, I know, this kinda mill should be set up with some sort of operator station/cab...but it is a portable mill really..so I think heated joysticks.  Other than that, skookum choocher, I love the thing.  The 70 has solved alot of issues for me and for what I'm doing it works great.

Good lord willing and the internet don't cut out (new saying) I'll have the video up in a little bit.

Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

congratulations on the new mill,  glad its working out for you,

how's the Pup?

D

4x4American

And it's uploaded.  May take a few minutes to complete the process.  Took this video with 60 hours on the mill so go easy lol

https://youtu.be/XCAZhGz3c_w
Boy, back in my day..

ScottAR

I've been wanting to see this machine in real world type situation.   
It looks like a beast!  8)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

newoodguy78

WOW those hydraulics are fast. You'll have that thing mastered in no time.Glad it's working out for ya

4x4American

Quote from: ScottAR on December 12, 2017, 11:44:09 PM
I've been wanting to see this machine in real world type situation.   
It looks like a beast!  8)

That was another reason for a vidja, there's slim pickens on the internet world for 70 super vidjas. It is a beast!
Boy, back in my day..

Andries

Holy Moly!
Feeel the Powah ! !
Sawdust flies STRAIGHT outta the chute.
. . . and that chain turner is totally frisky! Watch out for the glass on your Cat.  :D
I loved the log arm recovery for that one piece that decided to run back to the log pile.
At 60 hrs on the controls, I'm thinking the training wheels are off, DUG.
Congrats and happy slicing and dicing.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Treehack

TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Ljohnsaw

Cool.  Just wondering, why were you cutting off what looks like a 4x with the bark and only getting one 4x4 from the center?  Looked like you could have gotten some 2x4's out of it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Percy

Oh my!!! That is cutting!!!! That looks like it could keep
Up with your resaw. Impressive. My feed rates are similar on my 2003 70 but handling is so slow compared to yours. I'm impressed. It just throws the logs around.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

longtime lurker

If I thought she could cut like that in my timbers id have to think real hard about going to the orange dark side of thin band sawyers. Impressive.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ladylake

They sell heated pads for motorcycle handlebars that should fit your joy sticks on fleebay. I run my mill with mittens when cold, a lot warmer than gloves if you can run the controls with them.  WM really has that mill speeded up compared to the older ones. ASt 4:12 in the vid I'd have turned the log 180, would have been faster plus a little more out of the log.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ladylake

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 13, 2017, 12:26:36 AM
Cool.  Just wondering, why were you cutting off what looks like a 4x with the bark and only getting one 4x4 from the center?  Looked like you could have gotten some 2x4's out of it.

John  Their sending those cants through a resaw  sawing off the bottom, the bark will come off there.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

Steve Ladylake the reason I turn 90 was to get a flat to be able to clamp..when they have wicked hooks like that they will ride up over the middle bottom dog thing and then I won't have a uniform thickness cant.  If I could dog the piece in good enough every time I wouldnt ever turn 90.  I definitely need to get some good mitts.  Those gloves I put on in the beginning are cheapo dollar general gloves I think they make it worse.  I'll have to look into those heated pads long as they dont get in the way of the triggers should work I'm sure.

Ljohnsaw I'm cutting 3sided cants to feed the resaw.  Each piece that has 3 sides will get every usable piece out of it at the resaw if you notice they get stacked in the pile of the cants. 

dgdrls thanks and the pup says hes cold he needs a warm office lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Thanks Andries yea gotta be careful with that log loader and watch it dont throw the log over the squaring arms happy gilmore style and hit the neighbors dog lol
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

What kind of logs are those?

I am guessing not pecan or hickory.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

69bronco

I'll bet yer tailer don't get cold hands! Looks great, why don't you build a little outhouse for your end, maybe run a heat lamp on yer paws? You'll really feel it when you hit 140!

drobertson

V very nice! Mercy , you bet that's sawing! Happy for you Doug,  70's are it, bad to the bone,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for the video, very enjoyable.

I'm thinking you need to set up a 3 sided tent to stand in with a salamander type heater pointing into it.
Just thinkin.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Hilltop366

Fast!! I'm wonder if ATV handlebar mitts would work, if you don't need to see the buttons.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!