iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Patio - self taught

Started by rcarlo233, December 14, 2017, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcarlo233

I've just completed my first Timber Frame project. have a look.
it took just over a year to complete, purchasing the lumber in June of 2016 and erecting it in July of 2017
it was a long road, but a fun one. i laid out the structure in Solid Works, and then started with the knew braces, worked up to the trusses, and finished up with the main posts.  i worked over the entire winter on the project, but really got moving once spring hit.
my two buddies that are Iron Workers help me to erect it.
the hardest part was no real person to talk to about how to go about it, so after lots of reading, i figured i'd just build it one piece at a time.
i'm looking for some comments, good and bad of what i ended up with.
tell me what you think?  please!

thanks, bob

DPatton

I'm not a technical guru when it comes to timberframe joinery but you my friend have created a beautify piece of work! Congratulations on a job well done.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

rcarlo233

Thank you DPatton,  i appreciate the comments.  have a nice Christmas

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Beautiful project. Well designed and exceptional execution.

Herb

MbfVA

Hope ours looks that good when we're done.  "Not bad"  for the level of experience you profess.   Understatement of the year.  You certainly have developed a touch for doing the complex joinery that I have read about on here.

You probably haven't figured out yet how much fun it's going to be to show that off to your friends.
8) 8) :) :)
www.ordinary.com (really)

50 Acre Jim

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

WDH

Looks like good ole southern pine and very fine!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

I am no expert but it looks great to me! Congratulations on your, feat quite a creation!

rcarlo233

I've built it from Larch, from a local Amish Saw Mill close to where i live.
it's supposed to be a good choice for outdoor structures, bug and mildew resistant
i ended up using a Linseed and Tung  oil with some uv and mildicide protection
it went on very easy, hoping it will look as good in the spring. i soaked it pretty well
bob

scsmith42

Bob, that is very nicely done, and very artistic.

I for one would like to see more pictures.  Especially of the king post on the front.

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

scrout

Where's the beef?   I think we just found it, looks like it could hold a tank on it.

bbaley

Quote from: rcarlo233 on December 14, 2017, 07:31:52 PM
I've just completed my first Timber Frame project. have a look.
it took just over a year to complete, purchasing the lumber in June of 2016 and erecting it in July of 2017
it was a long road, but a fun one. i laid out the structure in Solid Works, and then started with the knew braces, worked up to the trusses, and finished up with the main posts.  i worked over the entire winter on the project, but really got moving once spring hit.
my two buddies that are Iron Workers help me to erect it.
the hardest part was no real person to talk to about how to go about it, so after lots of reading, i figured i'd just build it one piece at a time.
i'm looking for some comments, good and bad of what i ended up with.
tell me what you think?  please!

thanks, bob

It's beautiful !
What is the span ?

Crusarius

I am envious and jealous. That is beautiful. Maybe some day I can aspire to that level. Right now I am better equipped for steel. cut it wrong, weld it back together and do it again. Not so much with wood :)

rcarlo233

scsmith42 - here are a couple more pictures for you.  the king post was fun to make, there are a lot of cuts/holes in these posts, and without the posts being exactly straight it was quite interesting to cut.
what i ended up doing was to use a level to reference my plane. so i cut one of the Haunch cuts, then used a level to be sure the next Haunch was parallel to the first, and then on the opposite side, i re-leveled the Haunch and cut the other side parallel.  one of the King posts twisted about 5/8 of an inch so it was interesting cutting them.
have a look, see what you think
i posted more pictures in my gallery as well

bob

Farm29

That looks really good I'm decently no expert but always dreamed of building a structure like that I got to help erect my uncles timber frame house and I don't know what is is about driving wood pegs but I'd do it again in a heart beat first I'd better learn milling before I move to joinery awesome project and awesome job  8)
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

rcarlo233

Here is a video of the Peg Making Process
i used a Hydraulic Log Splitter as a Broaching Machine to drive the Oak Pegs through a Die.  the die is cutting an Octagon shape about 0.020" under the nominal 1" that the holes are.  the points of the peg penetrate about 1/32" into the 1" ID Hole.
i ended up making about 200 pegs in just a couple hours
the planks i used were rough cut 1" oak.  i started by cutting the pieces to length, in this case 12".  then split 1" wide pieces to ensure the grain was straight.
once i had the square blank, i was able to drive it through the die to shape the outside.
it worked really well, and much much faster than hand shaving the pegs down to size.
i work in a pretty large machine shop, so was able to make the die up at work.
the octagon shapes have some relief on the back side, but a square cutting edge.  it's made from a basic A2 Tool Steel hardened to 60rc.
i made two sizes, one set was 10" long, for the 8" thick timbers, the others were 12" long for the 10" timbers.  i ended up cutting them just 1" longer at the end, because i wanted them a little shorter.
have a look, see what you think. .

here's the YouTube Video link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwSld2DdkM&feature=youtu.be

if someone knows how to get the video to run within the post, i'm all ears :)

Ljohnsaw

Nice set up!  Looked like you were going to try and do 3 at a time?  Too difficult to get them all lined up?  Or are those for different diameter pegs?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

ChrisGermany

Not bad at all, brother. A heck of a lot prettier than I could make. Good on you!  ;D
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

rcarlo233

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 24, 2017, 03:34:20 PM
Nice set up!  Looked like you were going to try and do 3 at a time?  Too difficult to get them all lined up?  Or are those for different diameter pegs?

The Extra Holes are different sizes. when i made up the tool i wasn't sure what type of fit i was going to have. so i made 5 holes total, in 0.020" increments, from nominal to plus 0.04", and Minus 0.04", this way i'd be sure to be able to fit the pegs to the hole i was drilling.
it's a little nerve racking driving your first peg, as you already spent a lot of work on the job and you don't want to split the timber. 
they drove in really nice, and seem to be pretty tight.  only time will tell.
i lubed up the hole prior to driving in the peg, so everything went together very nice.

bob

scsmith42

Very clever Bob.  Thanks for the additional pix too. 

Are you already thinking about your next timber frame project?

rcarlo233

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 26, 2017, 10:37:30 AM

Ironically, I'm thinking of building a Large Table and some furniture, plus an outdoor bar or something.  i see you make Slabs?  where are you located?
I'm in Wilson NY.
I have some boards left from the trees I had the timbers cut from, so i was thinking of making the table from them.
I wanted to incorporate a truss like structure as the table base, with the same acorn tip as my trusses.  i thought it would look nice.

secondly, I thought I'd make a small piece like an end table to show how the pieces fit together. not to many people understand the mortise and tenon structure, so if the end table was made like this, then i could have the pins loose fitting, so i could take it apart and show how it all fits together.  what do you think?

scsmith42

Quote from: rcarlo233 on December 26, 2017, 01:52:01 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 26, 2017, 10:37:30 AM

Ironically, I'm thinking of building a Large Table and some furniture, plus an outdoor bar or something.  i see you make Slabs?  where are you located?
I'm in Wilson NY.
I have some boards left from the trees I had the timbers cut from, so i was thinking of making the table from them.
I wanted to incorporate a truss like structure as the table base, with the same acorn tip as my trusses.  i thought it would look nice.

secondly, I thought I'd make a small piece like an end table to show how the pieces fit together. not to many people understand the mortise and tenon structure, so if the end table was made like this, then i could have the pins loose fitting, so i could take it apart and show how it all fits together.  what do you think?

Both good ideas.  I can see where a large slab table made using timberframe joinery would be really attractive.

In answer to your question I'm in New Hill, NC, about 30 miles SW of Raleigh.

rcarlo233

Custom Made Post Mount, laser cut with my logo
All the mounting hardware I used was stainless steel
The post sits onto a 1" riser to keep the lumber off the concrete
I used 1/2 all-thread and finished them off with ss acorn nuts
A little artistic features, and you have yourself a nice post mount like none-other
The Cement Piers are 18" in diameter, and minimum 48" in the ground for a solid base
I squared them off on the top to allow the Pavers to fit snug, rather than trying to fit around a circle.

bob

Thank You Sponsors!