iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly Maple

Started by Firewood dealer, December 15, 2017, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewood dealer

I just picked up an 8' Maple log with some figure in it. I do not have a saw mill, so I will have to take it to someone who does. My question is, what would be the best way to saw this to get the most figure to show? Maybe it doesn't make much difference. If it does, I want to be sure to convey this to the sawyer.
Ultimately, I plan to cut the boards down to 3/4 or 7/8" square pieces to build some Ice Fishing traps.

GAB

The last curly maple butt log I acquired I quarter sawed it for guitar necks for a customer.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Firewood dealer

Was that because of the dimension they needed of was that to bring out more figure? As you can already tell, I know nothing about sawing!! I can get them down, out to the landing, bucked up and trucked to the mill, with no problem, but after that...well, I don't know.

GAB

The guy buying the lumber wanted quartersawn 5/4 x 3-1/4" x length of the log.
I did not ask too many questions just did the best I could to give him what he wanted.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

69bronco

Fish traps from curly maple say_what

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

I think you'll get the most... chatoyance  ;D and figure plainsawing it.

btulloh

Chatoyance - I don't hear that used very often, but it probably should be.  I don't really see chatoyance in lumber off the mill until it's planed.
HM126

Don P

We have to pull that one out every now and again  ;D
Planed and oiled is when it really pops that "cat's eye" flash when you move the board around in the light.

Joed

One of my customers that is a logger, had a nice curly maple log. One day a guy came into the yard, saw the roughly 28x16ft log and offered him $1700 for it. Needless to say the logger delivered the log to him.
Valley Big Green Monster

Firewood dealer

Okay, I will ask....why not ice traps?? lol
What is plainsawing?

Southside

Same reason you don't make fish chowda with salmon. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Basically take boards from the best face first set up parallel to the bark. When the grade drops move to the next best face and take boards parallel to the bark from that until the grade drops. Go face by face this way then square up the tapered cant and take low grade boards or a square timber from the core.

In my mind the best figure is going to be tangent to the growth rings. The guy opening up the log might see something different.

Firewood dealer

Quote from: Southside logger on December 16, 2017, 06:03:49 PM

HAHA, thats a good one! I get it now. I guess the big difference is The chowda is gone the next day, traps last a lifetime. :D
Fortunately, I do not have a nickle in it. One of the log yards I haul into, at times, may have some odd ends they trimmed off a log. I asked the wood buyer if sometime he had one with some figure in it, I would like a piece. I didn't need a whole log. That's why I would like to make the best of what I have.

Thanks Don P. I will try to find someone who knows what you are saying. I certainly do not know the right questions to ask the sawyer. Most of the guys with the portable mills around here, mostly saw dimensional lumber or boarding boards from softwood, so I am not sure who I may find that has much hardwood sawing experience.

Southside

Where about are you located Firewood Dealer?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Firewood dealer

WV Sawmiller

FD,

First you asked how to get the most figure and best look out of the lumber then you said you were going to make fish traps. Sounds like a pretty high value log to me and unless you are displaying it in an art show somewhere do you really think the fish care what it looks like? ;D

If it were me I think I would be looking for a much cheaper wood for fish traps. I could understand White Oak if you are looking for strength and durability but appearance of the wood in a fish trap would not be a driving concern for me. To each his own. If you like I have some cherry and walnut I'll sell you that will really make some pretty fish traps too. :D

Good luck on the sawing and the fishing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Firewood dealer

Who knows, maybe they will turn out good and be able to sell some to the "L.L.Bean" type of fisherman!! :D They like to pay big bucks for something "custom".

WLC

Quote from: Southside logger on December 16, 2017, 06:03:49 PM

Depends on how much salmon you have.  ;D :)
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Southside

Quote from: Firewood dealer on December 16, 2017, 08:05:26 PM
Mid coast of Maine.

Farming Sawyer is over your way and is a FF member.  Also could try Melvin Yoder in Corinna, he's been sawing a long time.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Firewood dealer, I know just about as much about fish traps as you do about sawing. So in hops that I'll learn something, I'm going to stay tuned to this thread. Heck, I don't even know what an ice fishing trap looks like, so pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

starmac

Well he is after a better class of fish.

Now I have a question, using that 1700 dollar log for example, how does one look at the log and know how much figure will be there before opening it up?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

PA_Walnut

Figuring out what a curly log will give you is a series of best-guesses and calculations, coupled with risk.
Can generally see from the bark or right under it, if a maple log is curly.

I sawed this one late summer (which I don't really prefer, but the log was available and I didn't want to let it sit and risk stain).

I seek and saw figured material consistently. (as possible). There are caveats and gotchas that can really hurt, particularly when paying $1700 for a log.  :-\ Often times, the figure fades quickly and most of the time the best figure is on the outside.

The above log, produced full-figured material with nice color and consistent curl...a win. I sawed six more curly logs that day and the results varied from a lot of curly to just a hint of it. Cowboying-up big cash on a figured log can cause a LOT of pain on the second cut.  :o

If you have curly logs and would like paid fairly and/or some guidance, I'm happy to assist. I'm always on the lookout for curly/figured logs from PA northward. If you have some that you're interested in moving, please contact me. 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Southside

Quote from: Darrel on December 16, 2017, 10:19:37 PM
Firewood dealer, I know just about as much about fish traps as you do about sawing. So in hops that I'll learn something, I'm going to stay tuned to this thread. Heck, I don't even know what an ice fishing trap looks like, so pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks

Darrel -

Having been over your way I can see how you have never used a "Tip-up".  First time I went across the pass through Oakridge in the middle of winter there was feet of snow, and wide open lakes.  I mentioned something about not ice fishing there and my father in law (they are from Lakeview) looked at me like I was speaking in Greek.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Firewood dealer

Thanks S.L., I will look these guys up. This has been helpful.
As things progress, I will try to post pics along the way. My next hurdle will be drying it. I am thinking I could stick the boards in my basement. My wood stove is down there and I know the back tier of my firewood piles are quite dry come the end of the heating season. I am sure there will be differing opinions on that topic, but I am open to suggestions!  :D

Darrel, I will get you some pics!

Thank You Sponsors!