iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 log capacity

Started by Crossroads, December 16, 2017, 08:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

So on the wm web site it says capacity: 36"dia. X 21' long. I find this kind of misleading. I understand not all logs are created equal, but today I rolled a Doug Fir on the loading arms that was 30"x16'4" and the mill wouldn't even budge it. I cut a 16" round off the butt, then it loaded it, but barely. Did I get a wimpy mill or is this pretty common?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

GAB

Using your dimensions and the weight calculator in the tool box to the left it says the log weighs 5640 pounds.
I believe that that is more than the mill log loader is rated for.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

4400 lbs is weight maximum. Although mine seems to load a bit more. If the loader barely picks it up then I have to use the clamp and claw together to have any hope of turning it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

starmac

Somewhere Magic man shows how he helps the loader load the heavy ones.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

Just thinking - Were there other factors involved? What was the temperature? If cold weather was a factor have you followed the specs for cold weather hydraulics maintenance and use? I find my mill will easily load a much bigger log than it will easily turn. With real big ones have to use the claw and clamp to inch them into place.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

On logs that big I never use the loading arms.
#1. I don't have time to figure weight.
#2. Over the years I have become pretty dog gone good at loading a big log onto my mill with the forks of the backhoe. I can gently roll a log right off the forks onto my mill with very little disturbance.

Practice makes perfect.  :)

But to answer your question...no you didn't get a wimpy mill. Just learn what it can and can't do.

I have sawn a 39 inch Poplar log before. If he remembers right, I called Magicman by phone before I loaded it to see what my chances were.....I did it!....and loaded the log on the mill with my forks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

brianb88

Quote from: Crossroads on December 16, 2017, 08:31:51 PM
So on the wm web site it says capacity: 36”dia. X 21’ long. I find this kind of misleading. I understand not all logs are created equal, but today I rolled a Doug Fir on the loading arms that was 30”x16’4” and the mill wouldn’t even budge it. I cut a 16” round off the butt, then it loaded it, but barely. Did I get a wimpy mill or is this pretty common?

I am no expert (at all)but I think the web site capacity that refers to the diameter and length, only mean that is what the mill will cut. Not that the hydraulics would handle a log that weighs as much as a 36" diameter by 21' long log would weigh. I am sure there are more learned folks that can clarify.
Measure twice, cut once

Crossroads

I hadn't seen the 4400# rating. Still think it's miss leading to say the capacity is 36"x21'. I guess I'll use the weight limits going forward.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

starmac

All logs are not created equal. I have only sawed spruce, and it is not or doesn't seem to be near as heavy as some other woods.Like I said, Magic Man has had threads where he has shown how to use your clamp in conjunction with the loader to solve your problem.

Crossroads

Quote from: starmac on December 16, 2017, 10:34:06 PM
All logs are not created equal. I have only sawed spruce, and it is not or doesn't seem to be near as heavy as some other woods.Like I said, Magic Man has had threads where he has shown how to use your clamp in conjunction with the loader to solve your problem.

I made a hook to use the clamp to roll logs onto the arms, it didn't seem to help getting that log off the ground. After I cut the 16" off the loader lifted it by itself though.

starmac

Did it roll the log up the loading arms at all? It is possible that your hydraulic pressure is low.

Crossroads

Quote from: starmac on December 17, 2017, 01:30:33 AM
Did it roll the log up the loading arms at all? It is possible that your hydraulic pressure is low.

No, the hydraulics bypassed right away.

Chuck White

Quote from: GAB on December 16, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
Using your dimensions and the weight calculator in the tool box to the left it says the log weighs 5640 pounds.
Gerald

Must have clicked on the wrong species!

I used the tool box log weight calculator and it says a 30"X16.33' Douglas Fir will weigh 3,046 pounds and will be 80.16 cubic feet.

If your loader wouldn't load it, there has to be something wrong with the hydraulic system!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I do not think that it is misleading at all.  Length, diameter, or weight; if any of the three are exceeded you are over the limits of the sawmill.  I recently was asking about my ability of handle a 16 foot 35" diameter White Oak log.  That monster would weight over 6K pounds!  I didn't get the log so it didn't matter anyway, but even though it was "smaller" than the specs, I could not have loaded it with my sawmill.  I really doubt that I could have turned it either.

I do use my log clamp in conjunction with the loader to load "too" heavy logs.

The log clamp is rolling and keeping the log closer to the loader pivot point which increases it's lifting ability.

Thanks for double checking Chuck.  You are right, the loader should have easily loaded that log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

The capacity to wich you relate to is sawing capacity, not how much a log weighs, there is no way to relate the weight of all logs to all species of wood out there. The lifting capacity of your mill is well defined in the owners manual.  :P :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kbeitz

You would really have a problem if you was cutting Black Ironwood.
That tree weights 84.5 lbs/ft.
Water weighs 62.3 pounds per cubic foot at room temperature
(70 degrees F), so this wood will sink in water.
An oak log weights about 45 pounds per cubic foot.
Douglas Fir weighs 33 lbs per cubic foot.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crossroads

I didn't have an owners manual before I wrote a check for $31k, so I had no idea whAt was "well defined" in it! The only information I had was the spec page on the wm web site.  Which says nothing about a weight limit for the loader. Maybe if it had said: 36"x21' or a max weight of 4,400# my expectations would have been different.

terrifictimbersllc

You have a point. 

The LT40 Build and Price starting page has a box titled specifications, and the first line says "Log Capacity 36" x 21'".  Not what that really means. 

Only if it is balsa wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

uler3161

I think Chuck is right. There's something wrong if it won't lift that.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Chuck White on December 17, 2017, 08:38:39 AM
Quote from: GAB on December 16, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
Gerald

Must have clicked on the wrong species!

I used the tool box log weight calculator and it says a 30"X16.33' Douglas Fir will weigh 3,046 pounds and will be 80.16 cubic feet.

If your loader wouldn't load it, there has to be something wrong with the hydraulic system!
I'm getting 3867 lb for a 30" x 16' doug fir, coast type, here http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl

I'd guess the loader would start to slow down a bit loading 3867 pounds but agree that  to not move at all something's wrong.

Chuck White

I used the log weight calculator here, in the Forestry Forum tool box!

"I used the tool box log weight calculator and it says a 30"X16.33' Douglas Fir will weigh 3,046 pounds and will be 80.16 cubic feet."

The log was 16'4" long which is 16.33'!   That is the .33 part is equal to 4", has to be decimal to work on the log calculator!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

It is pretty much established that something is up with your hydraulics, but something to think about as far as cutting capacity. What would you consider fair for them to advertise the capacity of an lt40 with no hydraulics??

terrifictimbersllc

I see that.  The two calculators are about 900 pounds different for a 16 x 30 DF log. 

Crossroads

Quote from: starmac on December 17, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
It is pretty much established that something is up with your hydraulics, but something to think about as far as cutting capacity. What would you consider fair for them to advertise the capacity of an lt40 with no hydraulics??

I get what your saying, but is a manual mill limited to 4,400#? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that the weight limit be included in the capacity. Since the hydraulic loader is the limiting factor on what can be loaded onto the mill without support equipment to load the logs.

starmac

Like I said, if your clamp never even tried to help couple with the fact that the log is below the weight limit anyway, there is something going on with your hydraulics.
Many times I have seen folks post that their loader exceeds the 4400 pound limit.

I wonder too what the temps were when you tried to lift it and also did you warm the hydraulics up first or go straight to trying to lift the log?

Thank You Sponsors!