iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading rates

Started by Farm29, December 20, 2017, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm29

Does anybody know we're I could find loading rate charts for deferent species of wood?  I'm wanting to build a building and I know what size I would use if I was going to a hardware store but I want o saw it myself and sense dug fir pine and spruce arnt native here I'm going with more readly available species .  Like what size in sycamore should I use to span what I normal would use a 2x8x16 dug fir for?
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

starmac

If you go to extras at the top of page, drop down to tool box, there is a good chance you may find what you are looking for there.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

paul case

I thought you was gona step in it deep and talk about what you charge people to unload/load their lumber/ logs and that goat would chime in with his money making scheemes.

you are not so carry on.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

I wouldn't choose Sycamore.  Sycamore looks best quarter sawn and sold for woodworking. 

Use Oak or other hardwood species after you've considered their properties.

If you're building conventional, then why not use readily available framing lumber? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Don't you have Yellow Pine there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Farm29

Well Pual I hope there's a day when I can talk about loading rates but for right know it's just a few Mobil jobs.  And there's no yellow pine that I know about maybe a few yard trees here and there.  And I just like the idea of sawing all my own lumber that's why I wanted the mill and for the sycomore we farm in the river bottoms and there's a good amount of it along the river and low ground and plenty of it showes un desirable reasons to not q saw pith off center but I do agree q- saw sycomore is purty
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Southside

I am presuming you are in the northern part of the state?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Farm29

I'm right about in the middle boone county 15 mins north of the capital we have red white oak cotton wood walnut sycamore hackberry elm ash maple hickory and some others I cut for a guy that has gotten logs in a shipping container from some where with red wood dug fir and pine I wish we had some of those native here o yea and we have ERC
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Resonator

From what I remember the load charts for building construction only listed SPF, LVL (laminated veneer lumber), wood "I" joists, wood box trusses, steel beams, and flitch beams (combination of steel/wood bolted together) for span calculations. Doubtful you would find a chart for Sycamore, as the charts only show commonly used framing materials that have been tested by structural engineers.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Farm29

I like your " logging so I can afford to farm". I'm in the same boat I'm sawing building coops selling firewood trimming trees laying tile hauling straw operating a pick ur own pumpkin patch and more so I can afford to farm with my dad and uncle it ain't cheap to sopport a family of five
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Farm29

Resonator I did a search for framing lumber sycamore and found a topic where bibbyman built all his trusses and framing for a saw shed addition out of green sycamore which is what I'm wanting to do I like building the old school way and that's why I wanted a mill 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Farm29 on December 20, 2017, 08:03:09 PM
Does anybody know we're I could find loading rate charts for deferent species of wood?  I'm wanting to build a building and I know what size I would use if I was going to a hardware store but I want o saw it myself and sense dug fir pine and spruce arnt native here I'm going with more readly available species .  Like what size in sycamore should I use to span what I normal would use a 2x8x16 dug fir for?
Don't know if this will help you or not but couldn't hurt to post it I guess.

http://www.getredwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Redwood-Douglas-fir-Span-Chart.pdf
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Farm29

Built his barn for our pumpkin patch a couple summers back wish I would of had the mill then but it's all " store bought lumber"

96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

DanMc

Fantastic barn! 

We have neighbors up in NH that live in the second floor of their barn. 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

JRWoodchuck

If you google rafter span charts for your state it should list dimensions of what is needed per species. Sometimes they are lumped together. But it will tell you what you need for your spans and such.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

TKehl

Howdy neighbor!

There are lots of calculations and analysis that COULD be done.  Short answer though is hardwood is stronger than softwood.  So, if you keep it the same size as what you would have built with spruce/fir/pine you will be fine. 

Brad, if you think using Sycamore for framing is bad, I shouldn't tell you how much of it gets cut for pallets.   ;)  :)  Lot's of it at the edge of row crop bottom ground.  It's big and stacks up quick!

There is quite a bit of pine in MO, but mostly in the southeast part of the state.  South of I44 generally.  There are pockets elsewhere, but even in SE MO, it's more pockets or Oak-Pine than Pine forest.  Over most of the state, Oak dominates. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Farm29

Not to far TKehl.   That's what I figured was it could span what a comparable pine fir could.  I always seem to overbuild but I'd rather it be that way then under build. 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Thank You Sponsors!