Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Logging equipment  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Logging equipment
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
I agree completely it's a necessary evil is the best way to put it, yeah insurance is high same with tags but I'm coming out ahead in the end money wise in the end with our rate it's not too far from the logging.

Offline dirthawger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
Yea im thinking it may be a necessary evil for me also. With my small operation i was. considering getting a self loading log truck. If i wasnt using it on my jobsite could i have it contracted to another operation?  I was thinking that or that harvester you showed me might be a good first piece of equipment, that harvester i could cut and load with it

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2017, 12:54:43 AM »
Locally a couple of the larger outfits run their own trucks, but they also have several logging crews, and will haul for others to keep the trucks busy. One is a trucking company that got into logging, the other is a tree service/logging company that got into trucking. But they are big enough to run several logging crews, and trucks, so they are able to keep the crews and drivers busy, even if it's hauling logs for someone else.

The smaller operators will just run a skidder / excavator / dozer and hire in the trucking. They figure that having a large expensive truck sitting around doing nothing much of the time is a poor investment. And if you driving, you aren't logging. Local trucking companies are always looking for work, and a couple have spare log trailers. So they can hitch one up to a truck that was hailing gravel or fertilizer yesterday, and spend a day hauling logs. Keeps the expensive (and more reliable) late model trucks on the road and paying the bills.

All the crews have a some way of loading logs at the landing, large wheel loader or excavator with a grapple, and same at the mills and port. So self loaders are rare. The self loader adds to the cost, and reduces the payload of the truck.

All the trucks also load their trailers onto the truck when running empty. They are taxed on "axles per mile". If 1/2 the axles are on the road for the empty trip, that's 25% less road tax to pay, and the trucks travel better with a load on the deck, rather than an empty trailer bouncing along behind.

So a decent load is something like this.

And another coming back empty
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline dirthawger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 02:40:50 AM »
I got ya. Well it won't be me hauling anyway,  my employee will be the one hauling. I was just seeing if i did have a truck if he could haul for someone else if we didn't have work.

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 05:01:55 AM »
If you get a truck and hire a driver, good luck. A one truck show driven by a hired hand generally does not work out. I have seen it work, but have seen it fail much more often.
The driver for a self load truck, has to be a good driver and there is a world of difference between a pavement pounder and a truck that gets off the road, plus he also has to be an equipment operator. Finding a good one that hasn't got a good job, may not be easy.

I have 5 good running semis, I only keep currant license and insurance on 2 of them, cuz the guy typing this is the only one that drives them. I quit using hired drivers several years ago. It does look like I will be putting a driver in one next summer, but I have known him forever and know how he treats a rig, but he also draws top dollar.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
Yea im thinking it may be a necessary evil for me also. With my small operation i was. considering getting a self loading log truck. If i wasnt using it on my jobsite could i have it contracted to another operation?  I was thinking that or that harvester you showed me might be a good first piece of equipment, that harvester i could cut and load with it
Which one the Combi machine like a Timbco or Timberpro? Or something like my 653 with the Fabtek?
We stay busy enough I can't hire my truck out but once in a blue we'll help a company out and grab a load for them. A guy I know has two trucks hires them both out then has a mule train come in for his thinning wood. Normally when we get mule trains in they're hopped up with the trailers front axle on the back of the truck frame or the trailer is a rock back set up like this one is so all you lift on either is just the tongue.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/16711660_1168968219868748_8937907686073203722_n.jpg?oh=8170bf21183be8e272d6a44a94ea61ef&oe=5AC461E9

Offline dirthawger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2018, 12:36:16 AM »
i Was looking for advice on selling my equipment.  i got a guy on his way right now 14 hours away to buy my grinder. We agreed that he will get a cashiers check and he will meet me at my bank and after my bank clears it ill transfer it to him.  Are cashiers checks pretty safe? i just figured if hes driving 14 hours and has agreed to my terms, surely i can't be scammed. Just nervous as this is my first time selling a big ticket item.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2018, 05:56:01 AM »
If your bank will give you the funds immediately then yes. If they put a 10 business day hold on it,well..................................
So much can be scammed and faked now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline 2308500

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2018, 06:11:43 AM »
in canada i like to close a deal with a bank draft.   its as good as cash.  needs to be bought from bank by your "buyer" and is the only way we can surely, not be scammed.  just dont lose the draft because its your only ticket to the money

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
You can wire the funds from account to account.  Just make sure they have cleared into your account and are not reversible before he hitches up.  I exported equipment to third world countries for a scrap yard.  Wire was how we did everything, and lots of it was just pictures, phone calls, and a rigger showing up. 

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Wires can take up to two or tree business days which I think is a joke.
A draft or certified check you can buy at your bank for a fee. The amount comes out of your account immediately and the bank will guarantee the funds and not the account holder. I've done a lot of business like that, if you go look at something and you don't like what you see, you can always put the check back in your account.
I know you're the seller, just sayn.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline dirthawger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »
Its sold and everything was good. He let me come into the bank while he got the check.  I felt like an idiot though,  night before i cleaned it up did a test grind no leaks.  He got here after a 14 hour drive,  bam, dang fuel leak from the filter, no big deal, tightened it up, bam, dang fuel solenoid sprung a leak spraying fuel everywhere.  Luckily he had a sense of humor and laughed and said its only hapenning cause im selling it. I felf like chevy chase in vegas vacation when he was trying to plug holes in the hoover dam with gum. VERY embarrassing. But he bought it anyway

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Logging Equipment for sale ...

Started by thumperjack on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 01:45:50 PM
by smwwoody
xx
Recycling logging equipment

Started by Taylortractornut on General Board

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 07:39:10 PM
by Taylortractornut