iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Even the first skim cut can give you something to work with.

Started by Downstream, December 21, 2017, 08:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I did a skim cut on a walnut log early in the year just to open it up and I found this interesting slab.  Even rough cut it had a great shape and color so I leaned it against a tree next to the mill for future use.  I have walked past it all year thinking about what I could do with it and then one day last week it popped.  I have wanted to make a sofa table for awhile so it seemed perfect size/shape for this so I brought it in with a few other walnut slabs(for the legs) and I was off to the races.  I wanted the base to be all cut edges so that the live edge top would stand out better.  Here is the final product with a hand rubbed oil finish.  Now I'm off to find a customer.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OffGrid973

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

ToddsPoint

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Downstream

Ha!  I love the ironing board thought.  Funny what one person sees vs the next.  Maybe a new market in live edge appliance accessories.  I should be able to get a premium for a dual usage piece of furniture, right?   Actually now that you mention it maybe somebody in an small urban loft would actually love the fact that their stylish table can double as ironing board by throwing a pad over it.  Never know...  Keep the thoughts coming.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!