iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder Tracks

Started by deastman, December 25, 2017, 06:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Thanks guys for all the help, probably gonna try welding new caulks on a few cross bars and see how they hold up
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

1270d

barbender

Harvesters typically have an easier time climbing than forwarders, so we focus the traction aids on the forwarders. The problem with tracks, is the tires spinning inside them. Adding the "caulks" doesn't really aid forward traction, it's when making turns that they make a difference, especially on ice.
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

Sprayed in per factory WPS using L56 Lincoln wire at around 30 volts 475-500 inches a minute of wire feed speed of .045 wire which should be around 300 amps. The tracks will get flipped and new cheats will be added as well doing the same process.

nativewolf

@Skeans1 so help a newbie out here.  What's going on? Did you clean the inside of the bars?  And then lay some new metal on the inside of the tracks?  Then flipping and putting on the new cleats?  Do you make the cleats? Can you buy them?
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

@nativewolf 
Tracks were steam cleaned inside then dried with heat then sanded with flappy wheels, then nothing was added other then weld as you can tell by the pictures they were pretty much smooth to start with. I have one set under the hoist we flipped to add new 3/4" by 1.25" tall cheats out of flat bar. You can buy all parts for the tracks which we'll be doing in the near future as the half moon pieces are getting pretty thin after 17k+ hours of usage. Well the harvester tracks are home I'll probably add some more cheats so they're on both sides of the tracks for more sliding support and hopefully a little more traction to go steeper.

nativewolf

@Skeans1 wow...steam cleaned?  Flat bar just welded on huh.   I should post some pics of our tracks and get opinions.  We had tires slipping once but not bad.  I was wondering if we should tighten them or what?  Anyhow, thanks for the pics and the explanation.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

@nativewolf 
Yes we steam clean everything before it goes into the shop it makes a huge difference on working on them besides keeping the shop clean. Tightening can help another is the operator might need to slow down, on the Deere's I can adjust the percentage of speed that can help from spinning in the tracks. 

nativewolf

Seems like quite a bit of meat left on ours.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!