iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

last few days

Started by woodmills1, December 29, 2017, 06:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Corley,what to see smoke,steam? Try white pine. Cut it down,than 15 minutes later,burn it. I think I burned 20 cord of green white pine.  :o  I burn less rotten wood than green white pine.
Peter,don't knock it until you tried an OWB. I had my share of burning wood inside. I know,I don't want to go out and fill a OWB in the cold argument.  ::) Well when I had a stove inside,I had to go out in the cold wood shed to get wood.  ;) I got a OWB to burn all my deadwood,rotten wood,cedar,fir and whatever else I get my hands on. If you all could see my wood pile ,you would not believe it. I have burned all types of wood,green,dried,rotten and I know that burns the best. Here I am with temps in the negative numbers each night and I am nice and warm. Must be doing something right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

My owb is a love/ hate situation. I have to get rid of my slabs, and I can't afford enough oil to heat my house beyond a Delta T of more than 3°F  :D I tell people if I had to buy wood, I'd buy oil.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gearbox

cfarm that is funny I used to say my wood was 15 min.from the stump to the stove . Cut logs all day buck up tops and limbs and split a load on the PU go home and put it in the stove .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

KamHillbilly

I have been burning a lot of wood lately been in the -30C range all week with  not much of a break forcasted
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: KamHillbilly on January 01, 2018, 09:16:52 AM
I have been burning a lot of wood lately been in the -30C range all week with  not much of a break forcasted
Good lord man, what's Canada got to offer that makes you want to endure those kinds of temps?   :D
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

thecfarm

Gearbox,I have no idea what you had for a stove while doing the from stump to stove deal.  :D
But I know in my OWB,it takes some wood.  :o  Has to dry out the wood to get heat. And how does the wood dry out? It has to burn the wood to dry it out. Well that's how I see it.  ;D  My OWB went through some wood,trying that experment out. I was warm and had no problems keeping a fire. The problem was keeping enough wood ahead to feed the OWB.  ;D   I notice a bigger amount of wood usage with white pine,than hardwood. I had a bunch of white pine that was crooked and no good for logs. Well,those are gone now.  ;D
Now I clean up the dead wood and stuff that has fallen over or any tree that I don't like the looks of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Cfarm, I looked at them, For me just too much wood to feed them, I looked at a wood chip one. Now that one would heat the whole street.  :D :D :D Too big.
:new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on January 01, 2018, 09:26:36 AM
Quote from: KamHillbilly on January 01, 2018, 09:16:52 AM
Good lord man, what's Canada got to offer that makes you want to endure those kinds of temps?   :D

There's 36 million of us up here, and we've all got good answers for that . . .  :snowball:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Kwill

Quote from: thecfarm on January 01, 2018, 09:35:13 AM
Gearbox,I have no idea what you had for a stove while doing the from stump to stove deal.  :D
But I know in my OWB,it takes some wood.  :o  Has to dry out the wood to get heat. And how does the wood dry out? It has to burn the wood to dry it out. Well that's how I see it.  ;D  My OWB went through some wood,trying that experment out. I was warm and had no problems keeping a fire. The problem was keeping enough wood ahead to feed the OWB.  ;D   I notice a bigger amount of wood usage with white pine,than hardwood. I had a bunch of white pine that was crooked and no good for logs. Well,those are gone now.  ;D
Now I clean up the dead wood and stuff that has fallen over or any tree that I don't like the looks of.
I would say it would take a lot of pine to stay ahead of any wood burner. Stuff burns up to fast. At least our pine around here would. Be about like throwing a bale of hay in the stove.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

thecfarm

I kinda like to burn white pine,dried that is. ;D No ashes. I burned it all one winter. Than some winters I burn it up until April,just because I have run out of it.
I have a bunch of softwood that is keeping me warm now. Fir,cedar and white pine.a little of hemlock. There is some hardwood,but it's on the rotten side. Had my land logged a few years back and I'm cleaning up what was left behind.
Which that is why I wanted a OWB. There's a lot of wood in the woods and I could not burn it in the wood stove that I had. I tried. :o Wife was not really on board,but after a winter,she was glad we bought it.

Corley5

I bought two train loads(40 pulp cords) of red and white pine that was removed from state forest campgrounds as hazard trees.  I pulled a few logs to saw but gave up on that when it became clear that every camper brought a can of BIG nails and a hammer with them.  I ran it through the firewood machine and filled the wood shed late one fall with a mix of it and some green hardwood.  About 25 face cords.  When we were finishing up I thought we'd probably wasted time and effort and probably should have filled the shed with hardwood and brought pine over to supplement as needed.  The shed full, 25 face cords, lasted a bit more than 9 weeks.  We finished that winter with a green sugar maple/ironwood mix that gave much better mileage.  I burned more of the pine mix that spring and cleaned up the rest the next fall.  I got my money's worth.
  We burned some baled hay one fall.  It was rain hay that was left after a mulch market fell through.  We were heating half the area we are now and a 50-60lb bale would last about 8 hours.  Nasty smoke though.  Had to watch which way the wind was coming from.  It was best when it blowing toward the neighbor's.  We've burned dry bagged planer shavings too.  They'll create a real smoke.  Eastern red cedar smoke is really noxious.  I hope the neighbors enjoyed that as much as the hay.  Two thirty gallon bags of black cherry shavings would last about 4 hours.  The cedar not quite as long.  I've thought about burning sawdust from the firewood machine by backing the manure spreader into the shed and running it off onto the slab and then shoveling it into the boiler with a mix of round wood to keep the coals.  That would smoke too.       
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Peter Drouin

One thing cfarm, you and others that burn the junk wood will make your woods and/or yard look like a park.
smiley_thumbsup :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TKehl

What I like about the outdoor stove is the mess stays outside and reduced handling.  Most of our wood is cut and split in the woods and thrown on a trailer.  Trailer is backed up to the stove and unhooked.  Wood goes straight from trailer to stove.  I have several trailers!   ;)

Corley5, Good point on ERC.  I'll use some small dead limbs for kindling if needed.  It will be dry when most nothing else here is.  Otherwise though, I'll only throw ERC in on a hot fire and mixed with other stuff.  It burns well, but fast.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Quote from: TKehl on January 01, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
What I like about the outdoor stove is the mess stays outside and reduced handling.  Most of our wood is cut and split in the woods and thrown on a trailer.  Trailer is backed up to the stove and unhooked.  Wood goes straight from trailer to stove.  I have several trailers!   ;)

Corley5, Good point on ERC.  I'll use some small dead limbs for kindling if needed.  It will be dry when most nothing else here is.  Otherwise though, I'll only throw ERC in on a hot fire and mixed with other stuff.  It burns well, but fast.
That's why I built my OWB to get the mess and smoke outside. The down side is going out and filing in the cold but its worth it. I think this is my 4th season with it. I try and burn and cut red oak. It seems to heat and burn the best. But a piece or 2 of good ole black jack will really put the heat out. just a little rough on the saw chain cutting it.  I have a farm full of cedar but it burns up so fast.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

coxy

Kwill do you have a pic of your stove you would be willing to share    we use to burn stump to stove also but now the wood/logs I cut this winter will be dry enough to burn next year ill split them about sep/oct and fill the wood shed  and it has made a huge difference in the performance of the stove  it don't take long for the water temp to recover but with green it was almost double the time  soft wood don't last  long in chunks  but the slab wood seems to be better I think it packs more tighter in the stove  I'm in to my February wood now   the cedar wood must smell good while it burning  but I have to say I like the smell of burning birch wood  hope everyone stays warm

thecfarm

Also picking up wood 4-6-8 inches across makes it easier to drive my tractor through the woods. I have fir that just falls over about that size.

Kwill

Quote from: coxy on January 01, 2018, 08:33:46 PM
Kwill do you have a pic of your stove you would be willing to share    we use to burn stump to stove also but now the wood/logs I cut this winter will be dry enough to burn next year ill split them about sep/oct and fill the wood shed  and it has made a huge difference in the performance of the stove  it don't take long for the water temp to recover but with green it was almost double the time  soft wood don't last  long in chunks  but the slab wood seems to be better I think it packs more tighter in the stove  I'm in to my February wood now   the cedar wood must smell good while it burning  but I have to say I like the smell of burning birch wood  hope everyone stays warm
I have some pics on my old iPhone. Don't know if I can get them to load up or not
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Cut a small load of smaller dead red oak this evening. Gonna be -4 they say over night. Wanted some littler dead stuff to get  some quick heat. Had a few cedars about the same diameter I cut a couple years ago that I cut up to throw in the stove to. 1 degree here now and nice and warm in the house
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!