iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Me 291 and 034av

Started by Jerryok1971, December 30, 2017, 03:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryok1971

Hello all. I was helping my friend buck up a maple that went down in his yard and had a chance to use his 034av. His dad bought it in 1987 and gave it to him a few years ago. Man was I impressed with that saw. I was using my ms 291 and the 034 seemed to have more power even though his is 10cc's smaller at 45 to my 55. I had the stock 20 inch bar and the 034 had an 18. We both had new chains both rapid super chisel. The 034 was louder than the 291 and cut faster. Is this an emissions thing with the newer saws? Does his smaller bar make it cut faster even if mine is 10cc's bigger displacement? Jerry

ladylake

A 034 is either 56.5cc or 61cc depending of the year' Stihl home owner saws like the ms290  291 are gutless for their cc compared to pro saws as you found out.  Stihl over rates the HP on those saws to make sales.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jerryok1971

Thanks Steve. My friend told me it was 45cc. I guess that would explain the difference along with it Bering a pro saw as you mention. Another friend of mine owns a tool rental company and he rent still saws out so I couldn't pass up the ms 291 for the price he sold it to me for. It was$ 250 brand new with 2 chains and oil. Now that I just started burning would in my house would know what stihl pro model saw would be equivalent to to 034av today or do should I try to find an older used 034? Thanks Jerry

ladylake

The new Stihl pro saws saw are MS362  60cc  or MS261   50cc .  I'd go with the MS261 that will out cut your MS291 by a lot.  Make sure you have a good chain on that MS291, if it's a safety chain with the rakers too high that will slow it down a lot'  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

moodnacreek

When my son graduated from high school in 1990 we gave him a new .034 stihl. That is yet today one of the best chain saws ever made.

Al_Smith

The "clam shells" do what they were built for,firewooders .They aren't or were not  built for pro usage .They do okay for firewood type stuff but in no way are the same as their pro counter parts .
For reasons unknown to me,perhaps because so many people have them,they think they can modify the clam shell types to perform like the pro models .It's pretty much an exercise in futility IMO .Take care of them ,don't straight gas them,they'll do just fine .

ZeroJunk

Not sure that there is any fundamental difference between an 034 all the way through the MS360. If it is an 034 Super there is hardly any difference. Flippy caps and maybe a compensating carb/ filter. I have put 036/MS 360 top ends one several tired 34's. Not much to it.

Thank You Sponsors!