iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Setter  (Read 4086 times)

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Setter
« on: December 30, 2017, 05:27:19 AM »

After setting maybe 7000 blades my old Dino setter is wearing out so what to do or get, replacement parts for the Dino around $300  or a new Cooks or Suffolk, also on Ebay they have a new older model Suffolk for $650 shipped. Both the new model Suffolk and Cooks are around $1200  shipped.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Setter
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »
At the $1200 price if you do it again that's around $.17 each set.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline JB Griffin

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Don't buy a cooks. The Suffolk setters are much more accurate.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota, 160 Prentice, Frick 2 saw gang edger, Wright W-37 ABG, Suffolk dual tooth setter, Cat claw single tooth setter,'96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, CS-590 Echo, MF 20c, M681 Memo.

Over 2.5 million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator and counting.

Offline gmmills

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
From the two setters you mentioned the Suffolk setter is the most accurate. This is based on the fact that it has the ability to clamp deflection from the blade prior to the anvils contacting the tooth to set it. The Cook's does not do this. The setting anvils are bending the teeth prior to the setter jaws even contacting the blade. The blade is actually twisting between the jaws as the teeth are being set. The WM dual tooth setter is another option to consider. It also clamps the blade deflection prior to bending the teeth.

Out of all the dual tooth setters on the market the Cook's is the least accurate of all. The blade body has to be held static prior to bending the teeth to assure accuracy. 

The Suffolk also has less moving parts to wear over time compared to a Cook's.   
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »

Sound like Its going to be a Suffolk .  Thanks   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
I looked at the one for sale on eBay about a month ago. It does not have the capability to backset and does not have the guage to check set. Suffolk does have an upgrade kit but I'm not sure if it will fit that one. I thought pretty hard about the one on eBay but I'll just be buying a new Suffolk.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Traverse 6035 telehandler
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
Steve, I gave the EBay old model Suffolk, I haven't set but maybe 50 blades with it but I am very satisfied with the consistency of the set, and the sawn finish of freshly set blades. In fact, I had one blade I set, I almost didn't bother with it as it looked like it had hit a nail. It was missing a few teeth, but what the heck. Well, then I ended up having that on my mill when a guy showed up and wanted some cedar sawn, I figured I'd have to get another blade but even missing the teeth that blade sawed with a beautiful finish. The cedar was being used rough sawn for paneling so the appearance was important. The customer was happy, and so am I👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
From the two setters you mentioned the Suffolk setter is the most accurate. This is based on the fact that it has the ability to clamp deflection from the blade prior to the anvils contacting the tooth to set it. The Cook's does not do this. The setting anvils are bending the teeth prior to the setter jaws even contacting the blade. The blade is actually twisting between the jaws as the teeth are being set. The WM dual tooth setter is another option to consider. It also clamps the blade deflection prior to bending the teeth.

Out of all the dual tooth setters on the market the Cook's is the least accurate of all. The blade body has to be held static prior to bending the teeth to assure accuracy. 

The Suffolk also has less moving parts to wear over time compared to a Cook's.

If this is the case with your Cooks setter, you really need to do some adjusting on it to make it right!

I have the Cooks setter and the blade "is clamped before" the anvil contacts the teeth!

I suggest that you call Cooks and ask for help adjusting your setter properly!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Cutting Edge

• Share Post
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

Chuck,

Both the new model Suffolk and Cooks are around $1200  shipped.  Steve

gmmills is referring to the Cooks Dual Tooth Setter... also what ladylake was comparing at approx $1200 investment.

It was not stated as such, so I figured a little clarification might help. 

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blade Distributor
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
Early on I experienced an insufficient clamp force on my Cooks single tooth setter but found out I didn't have it adjusted right. Corrected it and it really clamps the blade body tightly and has need no readjustment in 10 or so years.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Cutting Edge!

Wasn't quite sure, but I knew my single tooth setter worked very well!

Thanks again!   :)
~Chuck~
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline irvi00

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
My cooks dual tooth setter works great. When adjusted properly it does clamp securely before setting. Very accurate.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:04:08 AM »
On my suffolk setter I've really not use it to down set when setting blades, maybe I should. Does anyone use this much?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
My cooks dual tooth setter works great. When adjusted properly it does clamp securely before setting. Very accurate.

Thanks. I've been a little confused reading here. I'm no where near a seasoned pro like a bunch of you guys are but I've run about a hundred or more bands through watching closely (trying to learn from Cutting Edge's teaching and all the forum info). And that was my observation. It clamps, brings up the setters and dial gauges, then sets and measures. I then cycle it to the next ones. But I'm pretty ignorant compared to the average guy here on the forum and not near as experienced.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »
On my suffolk setter I've really not use it to down set when setting blades, maybe I should. Does anyone use this much?
When I first got my Suffolk, I used it as you do, just for setting teeth as in increasing set. I did not even have the down setting anvils installed .  It was a tad finicky and my accuracy was not very good.  On the advice of someone here, cant remember who, (Im a siv-head), I installed the down setting anvils, set them correctly for the thickness of my blades, yaddayadda and ...wala.....the thing became very consistant and accurate.....not as accurate as my old slow poke single tooth setter, but acceptable.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
I made this video about 4 months ago when this same question came up on here, I think it will help clear things up a bit:

Boy, back in my day..

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
Percy what is the difference in the up-setting anvils vs the down setting anvils?  Is it just the location in which they are mounted which makes it so you can double down-set in one go round da jimmy-do?  I use my Cooks DTS mainly for down setting teeth as it's quick and works good enough, but you can only do one side at a time and have to set the anvils distance for each side each time cause you have to take one away to do one side...if ya foller what imer sayin...The DTS is faster than the STS cause it has the feed arm and you don't have to invert the blade so it is my weapon of choice for downsetting.  I try to downset it to my target set on the first shot and if I have alot of blades to do that are the same ting I'll set it up to do say the outside teeth and I'll put one blade on, do the outside, take it off and do the rest of them all on the outside, then I'll set it up for the inside and go go go.  Helps keep it consistent as well as less fiddlefarting around with the settings.  But if you get it wrong on this then that'll put ya in a vlasic jar eh.
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »
4x4, I see it now, the dual-tooth setter actually does the clamping and setting at the same time, compared to the single-tooth setter clamping and setting in two steps!
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
Percy what is the difference in the up-setting anvils vs the down setting anvils?  Is it just the location in which they are mounted which makes it so you can double down-set in one go round da jimmy-do?  I use my Cooks DTS mainly for down setting teeth as it's quick and works good enough, but you can only do one side at a time and have to set the anvils distance for each side each time cause you have to take one away to do one side...if ya foller what imer sayin...The DTS is faster than the STS cause it has the feed arm and you don't have to invert the blade so it is my weapon of choice for downsetting.  I try to downset it to my target set on the first shot and if I have alot of blades to do that are the same ting I'll set it up to do say the outside teeth and I'll put one blade on, do the outside, take it off and do the rest of them all on the outside, then I'll set it up for the inside and go go go.  Helps keep it consistent as well as less fiddlefarting around with the settings.  But if you get it wrong on this then that'll put ya in a vlasic jar eh.
in this pic, the large anvils are the uppers and little ones the downers. Just back off the appropriate ones.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
So you can upset and downset both sides of the blade in one pass?
Boy, back in my day..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Better setter

Started by uler3161 on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 06:18:06 PM
by uler3161
xx
My New Setter

Started by Fla._Deadheader on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post February 20, 2003, 04:07:32 PM
by Fla._Deadheader