iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello From NY

Started by nybhh, December 30, 2017, 11:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldwf

3 questions for fellow loggers

1) Does anyone know if there is a product that you can pour into a section of a cookie slice that is partially rotten in order to make it more solid  ?   I have a slice of Monterey cypress and there is a spot in middle that is rotten (which is why I cut it down), and I'd like to make a round table using the whole thing but the rotten part is only semi-solid (it's not cracking off but it is softer than the surrounding good wood.  (see photo)

2) also, does anyone know if the IPEX brand is as good as anchorseal

3) if a 2 foot diameter log of monterey cypress is left on the ground but covered from the sun and rain then how long can it be there before the wood behind the bark begins to decompose and not be usable (millable) ?  I hoping to mill it in one month or so ... but is this too late ?

thanks all

ronald

Southside

Hi Ronald

Welcome to the Forum.  I have seen guys use epoxy to fill in areas on the cookie like you mention, some even color the epoxy, I don't know the brand but I am sure there are wood workers on here that can direct you to one or another. 

We don't have any cypress around here so I can't specifically speak to that wood.  Not knowing where you are kind of complicates this answer as well.  For us heat raises havock with logs that are sitting out.  Pine will begin to blue stain very quickly in the summer heat around here - couple of weeks sometimes.  This time of year - no problem at all.  Same holds true for insect issues, warm, moist air = more bugs, dry, cold air = no issues at all.  So if you are in the southern hemisphere right now, then perhaps you want to get to that log as soon as possible, my gut tells me a month will not cause any major issue at all unless some critter decides it really likes your log. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

I can't imagine a time when I would mill for shares of lumber, especially if I also had to haul the logs, or travel to the site.

That said, I do have an arrangement that works with some of the tree guys I buy logs from.  They bring a load of logs (for me that might be up to a dozen logs - I'm small time) and I scale and value the logs.  They pull out any logs they want milled and I mill them at my regular rates.  Any logs left (value already determined) are credited against the milling fees.  One of them runs a tab with me.  He brings logs, doesn't want a check so he gets a credit for them.  A couple of times a year he'll bring logs, or bring a customer with him, and have logs milled.  The milling fees are subtracted from his credit balance.  End of year we settle up.   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

woodyone.john

the sap will start to degrade then rot after 2 years over here but the log should be good for more than 5. lift it of the ground,ie put it on gluts  but dont put a tarp over it ,that would accelerate the rotting process
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Ianab

Like John says, Monterrey cypress will last a long time in log form. If you haven't end sealed now, don't bother. It doesn't end check badly anyway.

Off the ground, and under cover will be best. Don't wrap if under a tarp, think more like a gazebo or carport, with just a roof. Keep the sun and rain off, but let the air circulate over the logs.

It doesn't seem prone to bag attack. Only time I've seen them in it is living trees that are still green, but starting to get rot pockets. Or logs that are already badly rotted. Once it starts drying bugs don't seem interested.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

QuoteWe don't have any cypress around here so I can't specifically speak to that wood.  Not knowing where you are kind of complicates this answer as well.  For us heat raises havock with logs that are sitting out.  Pine will begin to blue stain very quickly in the summer heat around here - couple of weeks sometimes.  This time of year - no problem at all.  Same holds true for insect issues, warm, moist air = more bugs, dry, cold air = no issues at all.

You are right about pine, bugs and stain get into that fast in the warm weather.

Monterey cypress is a different beast, more like a cedar. In NZ they can grow up to maybe 9ft dia, in a bit over a 100 years.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!