The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Use of Various Timber Screws for Green Stack Log Construction?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline kantuckid

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Use of Various Timber Screws for Green Stack Log Construction?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
My Milwaukee right angle drill is old enough too. I forget the amps but it's slow and torque heavy.
I used to have a drill that was from an estate sale in the 1960's but was WWII surplus drill with US navy stamps on it. Had a 3/4" steel pipe extension handle and marked 12v or 110v on the mfg plate. I built my home with it & more then a few years ago the armature burned out and it became poor logic to repair the thing. Yes, it would break your wrist! seriously!
From the posts so far on this, I've cooled my heels somewhat on a cordless impact driver, at least for wall building. I really don't want to spend $500 or more on a top end cordless impact? I still think it's a tool I'll go for in the compact 1/4" size to augment my older 12v drill drivers but undecided as to best log wall tool ?
I guess I'll run a test screw into a pine tree outside the shop with my corded drill motors and see what happens? best done after this weather moderates... :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
These screws won't break your wrist but those big drills certainly can, the clutched drill is cheaper than the doc. Being a slow learner I paid for both  :D
This is the DW which is a better designed and feeling drill. If one of my clients had kept it out of the sand it would still be going  ::)
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW124-2-Inch-Right-Angle/dp/B00004RGVY
I got this Makita because I needed one right away and it was in stock, not bad just not as nice as the DW IMO
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DA4031-2-Inch-Angle-Drill/dp/B0000614UW

The cluches on both engage in low gear~320rpm, I've run screws on high ~1200rpm but you have to be careful, better to be patient. They clutches engage at about 75 ft-lbs which can still get away from you if you're not braced when drilling joists or studs but is a whole lot safer.

There are a couple of old craftsman industrials in the barn, those old uninsulated aluminum bodied drills that can short to case and latch onto you like nobody's business, wall art. I had a Ryobi high speed half inch that was too fast for the high torque. After it punched everyone I got rid of that thing.

Offline kantuckid

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »
I just bought: 20v-Cordless- DeWalt 1/4" Impact Driver kit-DCF887D2 and Cordless 3/8" DeWalt Impact Wrench-DCF890B-bare tool, along with an extra 4.0AH battery and a bit kit that includes some stuff I didn't have. It's my 1st cordless venture beyond an 18v cordless drill and a 10.8v compact pocket driver. i have no plans to go for cordless saws,or other cordless tools as they are pricey and I don't need them in the first place.
 There's little doubt these will drive some longish screws but I'll know if they can do an 8" screw soon enough. The two tools put out very similar torque values-1,800 inch pounds for the driver and impact is 150 ft pounds-which are both nearly the same value, but of course the tools deliver the torque differently to the work application.
When your hands are worn out, as mine (wrist included) and I say that as a non medical person who does go to a new hand doc lately! then lightweight, powerful tools usable at a remote location are a dandy thing indeed.
I switched to a senior chainsaw two years ago.
I do recall my old US Navy drill wrapping the cord around itself a time or two!

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
I've got an 18V Kobalt impact driver (the Lowe's house brand) and it has no problems with 8" Timberloks.  After your first one you'll probably have the same reaction I did "Wow!  Why didn't I buy this sooner?"
Woodland Mills HM130

Offline kantuckid

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
I was looking at several brands-Kobalt, Hitachi, Makita, Bosch and Porter-Cable had the best deal pricewise-  but!!! I got lucky and came into a deal on new DeWalt tools from a legal but unusual source, I just can't say more on that one. It made me a DeWalt man that's for certain! Nothing like tools that work.
I started to PM you but this nough said until I post how they happen to work in my trial runs with some screws coming in.
I did see your map as to location in AK-we drove right by you a few years ago on vacation on the Old Glenn Hwy,etc..
I had a cousin who used to work up there as a federal gold mine inspector. I had an uncle who built WWII docks there for the Navy and another uncle who went there right after  WWII as an electrician for some years. He married Miss Alaska of 1949 (before it was a state) and I later met her in CA where he had returned to work as an AT&SF (now BNSF) electrician. He was a highline climber there for several years.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
I have always used my tools pretty hard and expect them to get the job done. I bought a couple of cordless tools in years past and didn't think much of them, so just didn't mess with them for years. My son bought some dewalt after the 20 volt brushless tools came out and I was very impressed. I went with the milwaukii fuel series which is brushless, and was even more impressed, so have added to the tool bin quite a bit.

My 1/4 in driver also has 3/8 anvils and enough power to twist them, my 1/2 in drill has been great, unless it is some serious drilling job, I do not break out the old big drills, and my 1/2 in impact are the three most used tools I have anymore. I also have the 3/4 in impact and it does a great job, but isn't used as much.

If a guy needed the whole set up, charger , batteries, and the impact you could get in the 5 hundred buck range pretty easy I guess, I bought both my 1/2 in and the 3/4 in the same day at a local place that sure isn't known for cheap prices and it was less than 500 bucks for the pair.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline kantuckid

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
One guy over on ADV told me to get a cordless 1/2 impact wrench for these long screws-it's a model that's like 700-800 FT #'s!
 When I read that yet another guy used it to service big trucks I knew it was too much tool for a log screw, numbers aside. I have to remain "no comment" on prices paid. A number of people who are daily users mentioned several brands, including Ridgid with it's LT warranty.
One thing I looked for was a regular chuck to stick into a 1/4" quick change so able to use round shank twist bits. Lots of them out there but most have seriously bad reviews from pros.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
Yea, mine has way more power than what you would need on the log screws, but you can also turn it down to way less power.
My use is heavy truck and equipment, so I bought the strongest they have, they do have several rated lessor torque too. I donot remember ever turning mine down, so can't say how well it works, it may or may not prolong battery life running it on low, but I couldn't say.
I do like the fact the batteries have a fuel gage on them, I hate to climb under something and run out of battery, I would imagine I would like that feature just as well climbing up on a building.
I also imagine other brands have improved a lot too, I haven't tried any of them, preferring to stay with the same batteries, is the main reason.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Timber Lok screws

Started by DSam3 on Timber Framing/Log construction

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2016, 07:29:30 PM
by fishfighter
xx
screws in Timber frame

Started by danreed76 on Timber Framing/Log construction

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 10:45:56 PM
by chris.bolton