iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big dead red oak

Started by Kwill, December 30, 2017, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I found a big dead red oak a couple days ago while walking through my woods. Problem was to get to it I would have to cut a path to get the tractor to it. It was on a hillside where I couldn't easily get my log arch to pick it up. It was leaning up hill and I was hoping to get it to fall down the hill. It ended up falling across the hill sideways. It actually worked out good cause I was able to cut it and the pieces rolled down the hill where I could split it. The pieces was so big I had to split it cause I couldn't get it loaded. Here is the tree.

HAd to cut a path through here 

Got the path cut

Splitting the big pieces

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

A few more pics

First load

2nd load

Got this left to cut up. 

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Woodcutter_Mo

Looks like it made some nice firewood, that's about my favorite wood to split by hand.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Kwill

I've split p!enty of it by hand. Glad I got my splitter finished so I don't have to anymore
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

samandothers

I like the tractor and dog carrier

Kwill

Yeah me and Mollie dog couldn't do without the old 8n
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Al_Smith

You would be surprised how much that little Ford can pull if you could get the weight of the log on the three point hitch .More weight it fact than what you can steer .

1countryboy

that little ford is nice, But be extremely careful.   Fords flip over very fast.  I have put two neighbors fords back on 4 wheels.   They were both very lucky. 
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

thecfarm

Have to respect any piece of equipment. Thos Fords will pull,but only pull so much. When the front comes up step on that clutch,they will come back down. Or at least the one that I was around for 40 years always did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

I need to fluid the back tires as I have traction issues sometimes. Had to put my box blade on too get my trailer pulled up the hill. I don't skid logs with it. Pull trees down when they get hung up though. I don't use the 3 point for pulling. I have lower drawbar for that.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

thecfarm

Fluid will help,A LOT.  I myself prefer fluid in the tires,not a weight box. The weight is under you,where's it needed,not 3 feet behind you up in the air 2 feet.
But a trailer behind that tractor will hold it back too. I can remember having the front wheel of the tractor come up against a stump than the real wheel of the trailer up against a rock and than the real wheel would spin and there would be a good size root. That would stop my Father. Than he would have to back up and set over and all would be good.
He use to use it in the winter a little bit,until snow got too deep to get the wood out.
He only got that thing stuck once. He was mowing the meadow and an old dead snag got floated in. He straddled that,picked up the real wheels and he was stuck. Took alot of blocking and jacking but we got it. That old dead snag went for a ride too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

I've got the valve to put it in. Was going to go with washer fluid. Its not as corrosive. I need tonget it done. Nothing worse than making it half way up a hill and spinning out then having to try and back down the hill.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

gspren

Do you have a hitch on the back of the scraper box? I've been thinking about adding one to mine.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dave Shepard

I've added receiver hitches to my box blade and winch. Very handy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kwill

Quote from: gspren on January 02, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
  Do you have a hitch on the back of the scraper box? I've been thinking about adding one to mine.
no I had the box blade on the quick hitch
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

gspren

Quote from: Kwill on January 02, 2018, 08:12:18 PM
But was the trailer hitched to the box blade?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Kwill

Quote from: gspren on January 03, 2018, 09:23:08 AM
Quote from: Kwill on January 02, 2018, 08:12:18 PM
But was the trailer hitched to the box blade?
no the trailer was on the drawbar
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

samandothers

Dad's 8n would be light in the front with the disc or hay rake.  The steering brakes were real handy.  My brother now has the tractor.  It does need some work!

Thank You Sponsors!