iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many loose cubic feet of firewood 16" in a cord?

Started by richard1, January 01, 2018, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard1

I am sure someone knows the answer. 128 cu, ft. stacked, but how many cu. ft. loose to make an honest cord of wood.

Skip

I'd say too many variables to even hazard a guess .  :-\

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gearbox

State of MN says 160 on 16 inch they also say 110 on corded 16's  . I use 200 on 20 inch .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

John Mc

When loading 16" split firewood, we usually figure in a full-sized pickup you can get 1/2 cord if it's carefully stacked, and 1/3 cord if it's thrown in. This would mean that a cord (128 cu ft) should take up 190 cu ft when just thrown in.

As others have mentioned, it's not exact - there are a lot of variables
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DDW_OR

when i sold firewood i would stack it first in a 4x4x8, then used the conveyor to load into the F250 flatbed, 7.5 wide x 8 foot long x 3 foot metal side racks to see how full the truck got.

then when i had an order for firewood i would just load with the conveyor till i had what looked like more than a cord, about 10-15% over a cord
also looked at the rear tires to see how much they where squished.
the F250 could only just carry the cord
I now have a dodge 1 ton dually that i want to add a flatbed with hydraulic dump like the F250 had.

"let the machines do the work"

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

moodnacreek

A cord of stacked cut and split fire wood is 66% wood and 1\3 air.

Gearbox

I don't know it is in the state laws . Also a 128 CF cord is 4 ft. wood not 8 ft. Goes back to when they bought pulp wood 4 feet long . Running a firewood processer you learn real quick that the loggers could care less what length the wood is or if is forked .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

clearcut

There was a discussion of this a bit back:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15481.0

Which included Maine's legal definition of a "Thrown Cord" for 16" wood would be 180 cubic feet. 195 cubic feet for 24" wood.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!