iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purchasing a moisture meter

Started by vfauto, December 31, 2017, 07:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

??? Have any of you had experience with the Ligno-VersaTec ?

http://www.lignomatusa.com/product_accessories/package-v-3/
If so please share your thoughts.If you have other product suggestions I would love to hear about them ! :new_year:

Thank You
Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Both Lignomat and Delmhorst have nearly identical packages, techniques and equipment for measuring the MC in the kiln.  Appreciate that in-kiln measurements are not too accurate above 30% MC, and yet almost all quality is controlled by the kiln conditions above 30% MC.

When running a kiln, we usually figure that 3 samples are not enough...you might have 100 pieces of lumber in a small kiln to 10,000 in a larger kiln, so knowing the MC of just 3 pieces is not reliable enough.  That is why around 12 measurements initially are desired to find the wettest MC (using knowledge to choose the 12 samples) as well as the driest MC.  Once we find the two wettest and one driest, we can certainly use three samples to get our daily readings to run the kiln, but we might measure the other nine samples from time to time also.

How long should your wires be to reach from a sample inside the kiln to where your moisture equipment is set-up?  Are the 12' cables long enough?  The best readings will occur when the meter is used at room temperature and is stored at that level too.

I have clients that have used these systems.  They and I really like the wireless systems, which means no cables are required, but they are expensive.  The simply system in your link has been used too. 

Most clients will use separate measurements at the end of drying to confirm the final MC values; the inserted pins can be several percent off.  So, you do need their "hammer probe" shown as an "add" and also the case for the meter. 

Note the non-USA made meters almost always are not too accurate, but such inaccurate meters have fairly low prices and are difficult to have repaired.

As you are a lot closer to New Jersey, if you need repairs, you should check the Delmhorst system too.  In some ways, this is like comparing Ford versus Chevy...both are good and have many devoted followers.

One last comment...If you have clients that use one brand to check the MC on Lumber you sell, you probably should have the same brand that they use.  There are differences in moisture readings from different brands when used on the same piece of wood.  Some brands calibrate using the published resistance values for wood and other brands use actual testing of many samples.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

maderahardwoods

As long as the meter is pinned it should be okay. The readings my Lignomat SDM put out are no where near my J2000X or buddies Warner.

I highly recommend a pinned meter with capabilities above 30%, my J2000X is accurate to 60%.   

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Although some pin moisture meters read above 30% MC, none are accurate above 30% MC.  THe pin meter reads resistance.  Above 30% MC there is liquid water within the wood, and a little liquid or a lot of liquid both mean that there is essentially a short circuit.  So, a reading of 40% MC can be off be 10% MC or even more.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

dougan2469

Good Afternoon Frank,

The big question is... Are you using your meter to test the moisture content of previously dried wood or are you using it to control the drying process of a wood kiln?  I recently went down this road...

If you are using for testing dry wood... I really liked my Lignomat mini-Ligno MD/C for the VERY short time I had it... About 2 weeks AAAGH!!! I think I kicked it out of my truck while out in the field.

If using as a kiln control... Your money is better spent on a good scale and an inexpensive toaster oven or used microwave.. The oven dry method is much more accurate and not nearly as difficult as it sounds. " THANKS AGAIN WOOD DOC!!!"

woodworker9

Frank,

I own a Lignomat, and have been using it for 20 years or so.  It's a pin-type.  It has 2 settings, depending on what species you are checking.  Easy to use, and has served me very well.

If they're made the same way today, I would give it my highest recommendation.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!