The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Battery operated chain saws  (Read 4110 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Battery operated chain saws
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
I understand that, but is sounds like you are satisfied with the husky you had to settle for. Are you thinking the stihl will be a better saw when it becomes available?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
I understand that, but is sounds like you are satisfied with the husky you had to settle for. Are you thinking the stihl will be a better saw when it becomes available?
On paper the Stihl MSA 160T looks  more streamlined and better in ergonomics then the Husqvarna T536. I think they have a really good saw there.
I have to do more research about battery AH etc.
My 536 is old technology and I heard there's a 9 AH size battery for it now. But the 2 smaller 4.2 AH  I have work just fine.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »
Makes sense. Yea, I do not have any battery saws, been considering one though. For some of my uses I tend to think it would be down right handy.

Batteries have come a long ways, milwaukii now has a 9 hour battery for my shop tools, but like you said so far my 3 hour batteries are steadily getting the job done and I have plenty of them to not run out of power.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:37 PM »
I see Stihl has a AP 300 6AH battery that fits in the MSA 160T.

Offline zoltar

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
HolmenTree, in case you haven't seen it, you might want to check out this comparison of MSA 160T and T536:

The video is from 2014, so it looks like both models were introduced around the same time. As you said yourself, they've kept introducing new batteries since then, but it doesn't look like much has happened with the saws themselves in the last four years. Not much difference between these two in cutting performance either, according to this video (T536 is slightly faster if you put the Stihl chain on it). Probably comes down to price, personal preference, ergonomics, and dealer support.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?
Yes the battery has 4 green light bars that shows the level of charge . Stihl's
battery has the same feature.

HolmenTree, in case you haven't seen it, you might want to check out this comparison of MSA 160T and T536:
The video is from 2014, so it looks like both models were introduced around the same time. As you said yourself, they've kept introducing new batteries since then, but it doesn't look like much has happened with the saws themselves in the last four years. Not much difference between these two in cutting performance either, according to this video (T536 is slightly faster if you put the Stihl chain on it). Probably comes down to price, personal preference, ergonomics, and dealer support.
Yes that's the reason I run the Stihl 71PM chain and it's bar on my Husqvarna T536 . Increases cutting speed and lowers saw weight

Online ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
Woodland Mills HM130

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
I haven't yet but I just went out and checked the battery on my saw that's being sitting out in the freezing cold shed for about 3 months.
 It's still fully charged and spins over really fast when I squeezed the trigger.
It was over 40 below here all last week and still 22 below F wind chill at the moment.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
Thanks for that info, I knew they worked better in cold weather, but that is somewhat better than I had hoped for.  I have used some of my portable tools outside in the cold extensively, but never left them out in it, as the shop is heated.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
Battery technology has come along ways in the last few years with Li ion.
The old NiCad has had its place.

I keep all my saws in a outside lock up cold storage shed. I think the cold temps preserve them better like a meat locker  :D
No honestly I don't like the gas fumes of them in my heated work shop. But I guess I could keep the battery saw where it's warm .

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:16 PM »
Lithium-Ion batteries have significantly better cold weather performance than NiCad or Alkaline batteries (which is why we always switched the batteries in our headlamps to Lithium when winter camping).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Thanks for that info HolmenTree and John Mc.  I've been contemplating a battery chainsaw for a while but was unsure how well they perform for winter use.  Sounds like my only concern should be using the right bar oil.
Woodland Mills HM130

Online ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:24 AM »
I picked up a Stihl MSA 120 B-CQ today for my wife.  It earned me a big grin and a kiss.  We're doing some clearing on our property this weekend and it will allow us to work together much more effectively.  Carburated power tools vex her, so this baby should be perfect.  Temps look to be around 20 F at the cabin, so it shouldn't be too stressful on saws or selves.  I'll report back on Tuesday.

And thank you Stihl for supporting the forum.  Following the banner link pointed me to the nearest dealer with the saw in stock.
Woodland Mills HM130

Offline upnut

• Wood Tick
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 07:55:51 AM »
Chugiak Tinkerer- Was wondering how the first day out with the new saw went. Had my StihlMSA 120 out cutting trails to some bigger downed firewood trees, it has taken the place of the old Stihl 011AV that always cleared paths. Visited Alaska Michigan over the weekend, on my way to visit our daughter who just moved back from five years living in Anchorage. She still looks for moose when she steps out the door... :D

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 08:35:45 AM »
I have 2
A dewalt 40v that is no good in my opinion, ergonomically bad as the chain brake is too close to the handle and i trip it when just carrying the saw.
Also the chain tightener is lacking as the chain works loose  easily and will jump off if cutting up thru the log.
My second is an Echo 56v which I havent had too long so the jury is still out.
It has 2 nuts for bar holding and the lock out is better.
Couldnt bring myself to spend the extra bucks for the Stihl.
Bought them to use on my RTV around the woods and at the mill for light cutting
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Randy Richy

• New LT15 Owner 9/16
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »
I was using the Kobalt 80v battery chainsaw.  It was perfect for my uses, I usually just fell one tree at a time, 12-18" diameter, popular, locust, maple, oak and pines that the pine beetles kill. One full battery would last me for the entire tree.  I understand this is the same electric chain saw as the Greenworks 18" 80v.  Middle of December ('17) I went to start it and it wouldn't start.  Took it to Lowes who were nice to return it.  However, even with 3 in stock, they said they can't sell it because it is under "product review".  No one can tell me what is wrong, and worst, they can't tell me if they will put it back on the market.  I have a lot of 80v batteries and I am set up for the 80v chain saw.  However, I need to cut about 10 trees now.  My friend likes the Oregon 16" self sharpening 40v chain saw.  Reading the threads here, it seems like the Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ is an excellent choice.  Both are costly. 

So my questions are 1) Does anyone know what is going on with the 80v Kobalt? and 2) I am leaning towards the Oregon as a replacement- is it worth it or should I be considering anything else?

FYI, I have a sawmill and wood lot.  I cut trees in the Winter only, so there is not a heavy use need - 1 tree a day type of work.  Thanks for any replies!

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
My opinion and my opinion only, I think I would like to add a battery powered saw to my list of tools. I do think it would be useful, but If I needed a saw and was only going to own one, it would not be electric. That is unless there was some physical reason I could not use a gas saw anymore.

Offline Randy Richy

• New LT15 Owner 9/16
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
Thanks Starmac.  I did try a Poulan 20" 50cc and with my multiple chemical sensitivity (mcs), I couldn't handle the fumes and the smell on the clothes.  I have 80v lawn mower, weed wacker and shrub trimmer.  It is a pleasure to work without the fumes and without their affects!   I just need a quality battery chain saw at a decent price after investing a lot in the 80v kobalt line.

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
If I were you I would try to stay with the 3 major brands Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo for chainsaws. Its a terrible thing to invest in equipment that a company doesn't make themselves but just rebrands and you go into that store and see the shelf completely empty as if it never exsisted. I do hear many good things about the Oregon saws, but I would probably just dump the money into Stihl or Husqvarna.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Battery operated chain saws

Started by chet on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post January 05, 2018, 12:29:40 PM
by chet
xx
Own three chain saws if possible.

Started by aquacanis on Chainsaws

84 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
by mike_belben