iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote temperature monitor. (state to state)

Started by gspren, January 03, 2018, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Yesterday when we returned to the farm in PA after spending a week in DE the oil burner had tripped off and the house was down to 40F :o so I hit the reset and it's been running OK since but got me thinking how another day or two and pipes would have busted. I would like to be able to tell what is happening in one house when I'm at the other but since I take the mobile WIFI and phones with me is there anyway to do this?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Kbeitz

My sister does this with a home security system. It even has a water sensing system
on the lower floor that will detect water leaks. Everything is fed to there cell phones.
The can raise or lower the thermostat and watch the cameras with there cell phones.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 03, 2018, 07:54:03 PM
My sister does this with a home security system. It even has a water sensing system
on the lower floor that will detect water leaks. Everything is fed to there cell phones.
The can raise or lower the thermostat and watch the cameras with there cell phones.
Does she need to have a phone at the house to link to?

VictorH

There would have to be Internet service at the house to do it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: gspren on January 03, 2018, 07:58:43 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 03, 2018, 07:54:03 PM
Does she need to have a phone at the house to link to?

Internet service....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kh0o5L569Y
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I had this same problem the other day. got lucky it was just overnight cause it was - temps but the house was at 51 when I got home. May be worth getting some type of monitoring system. This could be a very nice application for a rasberry pi

Hilltop366

You can buy a auto dialer temperature alarm, a phone line is required.

Hilltop366

btulloh

If you install a Nest thermostat https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-3rd-generation-T3007ES/206391087 or something similar it will give you this capability as long as you have wifi and internet at the house.  There are other brands that do this as well.
HM126

gspren

This is what I thought but hoped I was wrong since we have a mobile wifi/phone system that we take house to house and even in the RV so that the house I'd like to monitor won't have it, need to check possibilities and prices.

btulloh

It is possible to set up something that uses it's own cellular connection to the internet, but it's a little more complicated.  It would need to have it's own cell plan, but these plans are pretty cheap - $25 a year more or less for limited data usage.
HM126

wesdor

+1 what btulloh says. It does require internet but Nest is an excellent product. Our son bought and installed one when they came out. He can monitor the house from anywhere that has internet.
Example- last fall he was in Europe and could check via the nest and actually make changes if needed.

But it may not serve your needs since it requires internet.

samandothers

I had started to investigate using Smart Things by Samsung for new home security and it can control much more.  Need to work on layout and where resepticals are needed for cameras etc.

clearcut

There are some stand alone remote temperature sensors with a built in cellular connection. MarCELL is one brand. It requires a monthly fee.

Another  other option is using an internet connected monitor And a separate  WiFi cellular hot spot. There are some cell providers that have hotspots on a per gigabyte basis, with a small monthly charge. Karma Go is one. $3/month + data used.

https://yourkarma.com/

FreedomPOP sells hotspots with a small amount of data "free" per month, that might be sufficient for remote temperature monitoring. The company constantly tries to up-sell you to more expensive plans and services. They offer a lot of services that you have to actively op-out of. They also have very limited customer service. They can be an acceptable choice if you read their offers carefully.

https://www.freedompop.com

You would want a temperature sensor that can limit how much data is sent - only send alerts, phone home to check in once a week or so. You would also have to check cell coverage. Both carriers mentioned use the Sprint network.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!