iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw on Lucas Rails

Started by treeworkx, September 12, 2014, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeworkx

Well today we used all the mills on a Claro walnut,Lucas worked down from the top till we found some nice slab material then the Husky 3120 Alaskan did her bit then some blocks on the lt10, found some old staples with the Alaskan,think it might have been for an old telephone line as this tree was craned out from a old house where it was rubbing against the foundation.

NZJake

Hi guys,

Jake Peterson here. Just wanted to add a little with our Auto Warrior mill... This mill does not have any electronics or hydraulics to flip the blade. It's purely mechanical and SIMPLE.

The power feed unit is a readily available hydrostatic drive. The manufacturer states that you will get 1000hrs easy before needing to service it.

Everything else is also all mechanical and simple to operate. We are so stoked with this new mill.

We will be at the Paul Bunyan show in a few weeks to make some heads turn! We are going to journey back next year for the shoot out too.

16k delivered and customs cleared. I believe we have something special here.

Check out our product videos on our website. The Auto is the one on the top of the page.

Cheers and hope to see you at the show.

Also... Let me know who this guy is with the electronics issue so I can figure out how I can help them :-/
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

sigidi

Dunno about up there, but down here the carriage for a Lucas dedicated slabber is around a quarter of the price of the whole 10-30 mill. The bonus with having the dedicated slabber and saw carriage is no downtime when wanting to change between slabs and boards. Don't get me wrong, I only have the slabbing attachment, if I needed slabs more often I'd go the decidated slabber.

Logboy, I'm not sure of many owners with any turbosaw mills down here yet, but then again I don't know everyone down here:D  The warrior was recently shown at a wood show down here, and for me it was a head turner alright... plus an eyebrow raiser... and a head scratcher...
Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

I would like to turn my head at the Bangor,Maine show next May.  Hint Hint. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on September 16, 2014, 05:54:07 PM
I would like to turn my head at the Bangor,Maine show next May.  Hint Hint. ;)
+1!!  ;D

AND have the guys from LCS there as well. (more hinting ;) ;D)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

treeworkx

I love where these posts end up,now I'm not even sure what I initially asked!

I looked at the sawmill kits from Linn in Oregon and it started the ball rolling again.
My mills are now stationary, I get my logs from tree company's in the area,sometimes I pay for transport and sometimes trade for half the wood.
I'm selling to local woodworkers/ builders and keeping a lot for my own furniture business.

colb

What are the drawbacks to sticking an ultrawide bandsaw on a single turbosaw-type rail?  I think I know the main one, but feel like it is solveable.  Curious for others' initial thoughts.

The upside - lack of heavy rails under the log - seems too attractive to just pass up.  I mean, portable ultrawide DIY bandsaw?  Who doesn't want that?

Crusarius

I would think the only problem with that would be the bandsaw would want to twist. might make some twisty boards. could be good money in them :)

TKehl

If we are talking stock frames, it would work better on a Peterson Low-Low than a Lucas.  Reason being is that with the Lucas you would have to take the width of the rails and then subtract (approximately) the band wheel diameters.  It could hang over the rails on a Peterson with low rails.

If you go above or below the rails you would hit the posts...  Unless you didn't need the full length and could live with the length between posts minus the track the sawmill takes up. 

I also think a stock Lucas frame could be widened without a lot of fuss.  Extra torque on the rod between the two sides...  Probably still okay.  Bottom braces would be pretty simple to extend.

However, ...every time I try to assemble it in my head, I end up iterating it with improvements until I end up with a typical 4 post bandsaw lay out, but assembled so all the pieces can be carried or rolled into place by one person. 

So... if you already have a Lucas, I could see it as a perk.  If planning a build, it has limitations and may not be the way to go.   
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!