iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Late 80’s Stihl Wood Boss won’t run when hot

Started by Roy H, January 06, 2018, 09:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy H

I recently purchased an older Stihl 028 Wood Boss. For the first 10 minutes the saw runs like a pro. Then once hot, it won't run. Needing help on the problem. Thanks.

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Roy H

Where is the tank vent located. I will try the gas cap trick later when out cutting. This saw is prior to the New EPA rules

ZeroJunk

It most likely has a small diameter hose coming out of the tank on the left side top and slipping through a small hole in the carb housing toward where the spark plug wire comes up. Will have a worm screw in it. You can take the screw out and clean it.

Could also be the ignition coil/ module failing when it gets hot.

celliott

Yup sounds like an ignition coil or tank vent problem. To test, when the saw stops running, crack the gas cap open. If it runs after that, tank vent is faulty. To test the coil, as soon as it dies, pull the sparkplug and test for spark. Careful the plug will be hot.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

PAmizerman

My dad's 041 would do that. Installed a new carburator and fixed the problem.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

limbwood

i think some of the early ones had points and condenser, you can put a nova chip in to fix that.

loganworks2

My 041 would act like that. I put on new gas line, cleaned the carb, replaced the points and condenser cleaned the tank vent. It still would begin to die after running great for a few cuts. Could not figure it out and decided to change the plug. That did it the plug was breaking down after a few minutes of running.

Thank You Sponsors!