iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: 548 or 515  (Read 635 times)

Offline 280 rem

• If it's wood it's good!!
    • Share Post
548 or 515
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
Has anyone owned/operated both a Deere 548 E or G and a cat 515. Wondering what the differences and capabilities are advantages disadvantages of either machine. I have a 548E but never been around a cat skidder. I have a small cat wheel loader that Iím beyond pleased with. Just always wondered about this since Iíve never seen much info on a 515
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: 548 or 515
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »
If you are looking to upgrade the JD 548E possibly look at Tigercat as additional option if you nearest support is not too far away etc.
Tigercat 610C - dual arch grapple, winch, turn-around seat controls - probably double the price of the Cat 515 used but should give you the capacity to pull more wood/ day depending on operator etc. (There are older lesser spec TC 610c with single arch grapples and no winch if you need to price match a Cat 515.)
http://bit.ly/2m5n6WZ    515/ 525 brochure pdf

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
I'm a cat guy but would not buy a 515 I talked to a few people that told me they where junk

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »
I know nothing about the 515s, but have a couple of friends that run old 518s s, at least I am pretty sure that is the right number, and you would think timex built them. They just keep ticking.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline 280 rem

• If it's wood it's good!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:11:41 AM »
If you are looking to upgrade the JD 548E possibly look at Tigercat as additional option if you nearest support is not too far away etc.
Tigercat 610C - dual arch grapple, winch, turn-around seat controls - probably double the price of the Cat 515 used but should give you the capacity to pull more wood/ day depending on operator etc. (There are older lesser spec TC 610c with single arch grapples and no winch if you need to price match a Cat 515.)
http://bit.ly/2m5n6WZ    515/ 525 brochure pdf

Not looking for bigger. All my cutting is selective harvest of mostly walnut. Really the smaller the better, machine wise. The 548 is almost too big but it turns so well that it gets around the timber better than some smaller skidders Iíve been around. That was one thing I was wondering was if the cat would turn as tight as a Deere, I assume it probably doesnít.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
One thing I know some of the older cats don't unlock the front end so steering shouldn't be as tight.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter