The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Selling Squares of Bark  (Read 1738 times)

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Selling Squares of Bark
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »
On the spruce here, the bark easily comes off in one piece of the winter cut logs. But there is a short window of time you have to do it when the weather starts warming up.
The ones I have been around has been skidding, but on snow, the logs have never touched dirt, a guy might be able to get by with that, the bark doesn't look affected.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
It's my understanding that you would want to fell the Poplar tree in the Spring when the tree is waking up from dormancy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
I have peeled poplar bark off a tree in the Spring a number of years ago to make a bark berry bucket.

Like this:

https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/how-to-make-an-appalachian-berry-bucket-from-tree-bark/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Logging so I can afford to farm.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
It's my understanding that you would want to fell the Poplar tree in the Spring when the tree is waking up from dormancy.

Around here by mid April poplar bark begins to slip, and does so until about July.  Picture what would happen if you grabbed a banana that had been peeled and soaked in oil then wrapped the peel back around it, that is what grabbing a poplar log with a grapple is like when the stuff is really slipping, there are times the log will just shoot out of the grapple and you are chasing it around, it's funny for the first 3 seconds.   
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:34 AM »
Our Aspen up here "self peels" from about mid May through June, it messes with the harvester's measuring systems and is not fun to haul on the forwarder, I've seen guys go home early after getting frustrated with springtime aspen.

I've also read of Birch being used for roof shingles long ago in Scandinavian countries. Paper birch (or Baltic in their case) is very impermeable to water, which is also why birch rots so fast if the bark is on it.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
I've found that each species of tree has a certain time of year when they peel the best!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline tgalbraith

• Full Member x2
  • Your never too old, to have a Happy Childhood!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »
Several years ago, my wife and I took a "Fall Colors" bus tour thru the Adirondacks, and visited the Vanderbuilt Estate Summer Home.  All the original buildings were sided with white pine and hemlock bark. It had been exposed to the weather since the turn of the century, and still looked good. They had a photo gallery that showed the workmen peeling it with spuds and staking to dry.  The individual pieces were quite large and they had about 18" exposed. Don't know if there is market for it now.
'
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
   My wife and I visited a pygmy village in north and east of the town of Kribi  Cameroon in West Africa back in February 2008 and I noticed the huts there had been sided with big sheets of some kind of bark off a local tree. I found this unusual as the pygmies normally made round huts covered with various big local leaves from the jungle added from bottom to top to shed water. More/replacement leaves would be added as needed if they stayed in that spot longer than the original leaves would support. A common roof and sometimes side walls material were palm fronds split then the leaves would be folded to one side and pegged with what looked like toothpicks. These panels were usually 5'-8' long and 14"-16" wide and were installed from bottom up to shed the rain. An advantage of corrugated metal panels, commonly referred to as "Zinc", was that they cost nothing except a little labor which had no value there, and they were much cooler than metal but they did have to be replaced every few years while metal typically lasted 20+ years.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
Hemlock was peeled in much the same way for use in tanneries.The stripped tree was left behind.I wonder if those stripped poplars were left behind as well.Would be a shame as they were some very nice trees.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
While stripping the bark and leaving the log would seem to be a terrible waste, I see on a regular basis here where someone strips a 2 foot section of bark from a birch tree and leaves the tree standing, looks like it would be less waste to drop the tree and strip the whole trunk.
I think it is mostly used for arts and crafts, so they probably do not need that much bark though.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:26 AM »
And may not know that they have doomed the tree.  :-\
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
Taking off the bark and leaving the skint tree standing is like killing a deer and only taking the backstraps. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
Drive any of the log roads and you will see it quite a bit, usually about a 2 foot section. I suspect it is mostly folks using it for arts and crafts and they probably think the tree will be fine if they just take a little.

Offline alan gage

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
I don't believe removing the bark from a birch necessarily kills it. A little googling found this paper: http://nrd.kbic-nsn.gov/sites/default/files/GatheringBirchandBirchBark_0.pdf

It's long but the first couple pages cover birch bark removal from standing trees.

Alan

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:04 PM »
Difference is choosing between the outer and inner bark. If you can peel off the outer 1/2 thickness of the bark, while leaving the "green" and still living layer next to the wood, then the tree is likely not harmed.

If you remove all the bark layers, then the tree is in trouble.

Same thing with Cork Oaks. They can go around and trim off the out layer of cork bark, without harming the tree. More bark grows back in the future, and can be harvested again.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
I should mark some of these and see what they do. I know where the bark has been removed, they are pretty much black after a while.

Offline low_48

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
Walnut will peel just as well, timing of the sap moving is everything. I slit a small 10" log, 5' long, vertically with a chainsaw, just starting to cut into the sapwood. Got it started with a flat bar, and took the entire bark off in one piece. I was just goofing around, and as mentioned, it curled like a potato chip as it dried.

Offline Rigg

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »
I sold a little this year.  Its more work than you think.

Online starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
Well was it worth it, is the market pretty strong?
Watching the vides, yep it is labor intensive.