TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Contract timber cutting - what to charge?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Contract timber cutting - what to charge?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
Mike's comments on employer withholdings is important.

If you haven't been self employeed or done contract labor before, the taxes are a lot different.  You want to keep all receipts, track your mileage, and charge a little extra to cover SSN and taxes.  Keep track of income as well.  You will probably get several 1099's.

When an employer takes care of taxes, they pay half your contribution to SSN.  (In reality they cut what they pay you to match that, but it's money the majority of people never see or think about.)  When you file taxes with self employed income, you pay your typical half + the other half your employer would have paid.  It's good to set some a side each check so you don't get slammed with a large bill at tax time.

The good news is you will have more deductions, like vehicle depreciation, possibly a home office, part of the cell phone bill, etc.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Lumberjohn

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Contract timber cutting - what to charge?
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
I think we are starting to look at the difference between self employed contractors who find their own jobs,  and employees who go where the boss tells them.  Where i am at, the employee doesnt have the leverage to be negotiating per tree.  He gets paid a fixed rate of some sort generally based on skill, speed and dependability.  The employer covers tax withholding and cutter just worries about showing up, makin it to quitting time and getting his check on friday. I know a few and they dont negotiate tree rates per job.

His title did say contract cutting, which in my mind is self-employed, with all the other pros and cons.. I assume he can legally do it for another guy that bought the timber. I just wonder why the Amish guy doesn't have a crew of his own, they do around here. As a matter of fact, last I was in this business English were hiring Amish, not the other way around.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Contract cutting

Started by linn on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2004, 07:10:39 PM
by WoodSmith
xx
timber contract problem

Started by timberjack97 on Forestry and Logging

19 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
by CCC4
xx
need sample timber framing contract

Started by moose on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post April 07, 2007, 09:35:00 AM
by moose
xx
What is typical in a timber sales contract?

Started by KYGirl on General Board

42 Replies
Last post January 05, 2018, 01:58:44 PM
by Southside logger