iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 volt or 12 volt

Started by Mavis, January 08, 2018, 11:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavis

My brother and I are building a bandsaw mill and we are using inch and a quarter all thread rod to raise and lower the head. We will spin the rods and also drive the saw head with 24 volt wheelchair motors. Power for the Saw Head comes from a Kubota d722 19 horsepower. Should we find a Lovejoy coupling and direct drive a 24 volt alternator and use a 24 volt system to run our wheelchair Motors leaving the 12-volt Factory alternator just as a starter motor / battery for the engine. We really don't seem to have a good place to belt drive a 24 volt alternator. The question is should we just wire some more 12 volt batteries in parallel for more amperage or go with a stand-alone 24 volt system for the wheelchair Motors. Or am I making too much of this

Crusarius

I just went with a 12 volt motor. and 12v linear actuator. I was thinking 24 volt but decided in the end I prefer to just have 1 battery and not have to deal with all the other stuff.

Darrel

Mavis, I can't help with your question, but welcome to the forum.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

The 24 volt wheel chair motors is a very good choice because of the amperage draw. I also had a problem with no place to put a pulley. Direct drive is not a good option because you can't get the RPM needed to spin the alternator. Do you have any space between the first pulley and the engine block? I only had 1/4" and then the crank had a step up so I machined a pulley to match the step. You can
also bolt a pulley fast to the out side of another pulley if you don't have the room. Wheelchair motors are made to run slow all day without getting hot and burning up. You can buy a step down DC voltage converter off E-bay to charge your starting battery or just replace the 12v alternator with a 24v and use 2 12v batterys for your 24v and tap only one for your starter. Many ways to do this.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

wheel chair motors seldom see much more than 12 volts in the intended application. Try running it on 12 volts. If not enough torque, try using a motor off a handicap scooter. Wheel chairs use a separate motor for each drive wheel. Scooters use a single larger motor (also 24 volt)driving a differential. On my stuff, I get away with 12 volts to wheel chair motors.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Southside

Kbeitz,

How would he be able to get 12V by tapping one battery? Wouldn't they be in series and only produce 24V? Just trying to understand as there are times I would like that option.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kbeitz

Wheel chair motors are also made in 12v. Also look up tarp motors.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JRWoodchuck

I have a real similar home built mill. Kubota D662 motor with wheelchair motor for the up and down. I only ran 12v to them and it's slow and under powered. At some point I will upgrade to 24v.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Mavis

it looks like I can buy a 24 volt Kubota alternator to put in place of the factory alternator does that mean I have to change the voltage regulator to a 24 volt voltage regulator and then I can pull 12 volts off of One battery to start it

Mavis

another question is we decided just to keep it 12 volts and run a bank of batteries how weak will the motors be torque wise if you run them on 12 volts instead of 24

Thank You Sponsors!