TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Problem Stump  (Read 821 times)

Offline mpilting

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Problem Stump
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
We have a bunch of hundred-year-old cottonwoods on our family farm. A few years ago, one of them blew over in a nasty storm. We managed to cut the remaining tree down to the stump. It's four feet across. My brothers tried burning it out. That obviously failed. You could drill holes in it all day with a chainsaw, fill the holes with kerosene, light it up. That thing's not going anywhere. So... How do you remove the stump of an incredibly large tree?

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Problem Stump
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
Bulldozer   ;)

Lighting a barrel full wood on fire works on smaller stumps.  Cut both ends of the barrel out so you just have an open cylinder and sit it on a couple bricks to get airflow.  Still takes a few burns, but get's it done.  You may need a fuel barrel to hold enough wood...

Personally though, I'd carve a couple "bowls" in the stump, fill them with dirt, and plant some type of creeping flower in them.  I'd then brag to my wife about how thoughtful I am, hope she buys it, and if she does enjoy the relief of avoiding all that work.  It will rot down in time.  Besides, if you pull the stump out then you have to find dirt to fill the hole.  This is kind of the Tao version of two birds with one stone.   :D  ;D
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline mpilting

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
TKehl:
Yeah. That's what my Dad used to do. The problem is, it's about two feet away from another hundred-year-old cottonwood. I'd hate to damage the other cottonwood trying to burn the stump out. I actually had a similar thought to yours. Cut it off flat, sand it, coat it in lacquer, and turn it into an outdoor coffee table. I could sit out there and watch the sunrise and drink my morning coffee. How Zen is that?! :D

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
At 100 years, you are at the far end of the typical expected life span of a cottonwood, although they can live much longer. You'd probably want to be mindful of the elderly tree being that close with anything you do. A dozer could cause issues with the living tree. A big stump grinder seems that it would be the least stressful.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
I was going to mention a stump grinder too. My brother has an ASV with a stump grinder but I'll bet, unless you live within 10-15 miles of Oneida, NY it would be a real costly way to do it. While he can grind at over 8' high, he would generally use a chainsaw to get it close to the ground before grinding.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
I'm  with Jeff on this one. You can bring in a piece of equipment and dig it out but it is unknown what damage you will do to the roots of surrounding trees. Hack away, drill or whatever pour some diesel fuel on it and burn. Then keep repeating till you can live with what's left.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
I would say a big backhoe, but being that there is another tree so close, I'd say cut it off as close to the ground as possible, then hire a stump grinder and he'll grind it up to a foot below grade.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
Just chop it down a little each day with an adze .
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
  Ignore it long enough and it will go away, sort of.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline bigred1951

• logging and sawmilling
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
Could make a stump carving. Last week my step granny passed away and as we was pulling into the cemetery somebody had taken a big stump and chainsaw carved it into a big cross and put some kind of clear on it. It was really nice.

Offline bdsmith

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
Buy a few pounds of potassium nitrate (saltpeter).  Dissolve it in a few quarts of hot water.  Bore a dozen 1" holes about 12" to 15" into the stump and pour the mixture in, giving it time to soak in.

The nitrates will breakdown the cellulose fiber and allow the stump to rot faster.  Within 2 years or so the stump should be gone with no damage to the trees or environment.

You can buy a commercial product at a hardware store that does the same thing but bulk saltpeter is cheaper.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stump Not tree stump remover?

Started by gspren on Ask The Forester

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 12:56:50 PM
by gspren
xx
stump removal - best way to rot a stump

Started by PB Logging on General Board

11 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 07:49:47 PM
by Furby