iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need LT40 Debarker Help

Started by nell6355, January 08, 2018, 07:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nell6355

I recently bought a 2010 year LT40 Hydraulic with the Kohler 28 Hp engine.  I have been working through a few kinks and need some help.  The mill was neglected, and I have everything cleaned, oiled, and moving freely.   The debarker electric stuff works, but something is wrong - maybe the debarker push rod is bent.    The push rod with the spring on it is DIRECTLY over the bolt hole for the long cover bolt.  That just can't be right.  And, the debarker will move in and out with the motor, but won't spring - load push into the log.  Maybe some goofball forced the arm, and bent something?
It swings easy by hand.  I have pictures and videos of it.

1. Does this push rod look like it's  bent wrong?
2. I heard some sawyers slightly raise the log - lifting side of the mill.  Is this good and common practice?

Thanks for the help!

nell6355

I recently got a used LT40 Hydraulic.   It was neglected, but I got it all juicy and freed up now.  works great.  I had to put a new debarker belt on it, but the debarker will not spring - travel into the log.  It just goes where the motor puts it.  So I need a little help.  The push rod with the spring on it sits directly over the threaded boss for the long cover bolt - that can't be right.  Maybe someone forced it and bent something.

1. Does my push rod look bent from what it should be? 
2. Do some operators put the log loading side slightly higher than the backstops?  (a slight angle to help the debarker swing out)

Could use some help.   This thing is very close to being fully working now. 

Thanks for any suggestions.  I am missing something very small at this point. 

nell6355

I mentioned on a previous post - my 2010 LT40 Hydraulic mill was neglected.  The upper and lower carriage bearings (the ones that follow the bed rails) are a little rough.  I'm a transmission guy.... so what's rough to me might work just fine on a mill.  I can plainly see that the outside of the rollers are rusted though.   They work good enough, but they are not happy bearings.  Too much rain and neglect.    Can these be replaced by someone with decent mechanical skills, or does it mess up the alignment of the whole sawhead?  I'll try to get some lube into them.  Still the days might be numbered for them.

I've thought about taking the mill to Woodmizer in Georgia.  It's a 2 hour drive.  Can't afford to have them come to the farm.  It's still a whole day blown if I go.   

I just like to be smarter than what I'm messing with.... before I mess with it.  Sometimes I wish my customers would do the same.

Thanks for your ideas!

terrifictimbersllc

Yes.  These bearings are easy to replace, upper or lower.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

carhartted

The carriage bearings are easy to replace. The alignment should be checked and adjusted if you're working on the mill anyway.
Here's to making sawdust.

Chuck White

How many hours on the mill?

Might just be surface rust!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

nell6355, I've merged all your topics. Please do  not start the same topic in multiple places, it is not allowed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MartyParsons

Hello,
   The rod does look like it may be bent. I would check the pivot bushing and the shaft for old grease and the shaft may be rusted. If you remove the spring the debarker should float in and out with very little resistance.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

LeeB

With my debarker, if I don't position it before I start into the log, I swing into the log with the motor until it has solid contact and is cutting through the bark. The spring then holds it in place but also allows it to move in and out to follow the contour of the log. Normally though, I'll position it so that the blade will be well inside the edge of the log and let the the angled guide at the front of the blade push it back out to the edge of the log and again the spring holds it in sufficient tension against the log.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

I keep the debarker in when sawing(switch to the left) so that the rod extends out fully (3-4 inches)

Im always a little fuzzy on how it works exactly,  but I know it's important to keep the belt tensioned and check it for any spots where it is worn.  I think there's nothing stopping the motor from running other than my thumb on the switch so it's possible to wear a spot in the belt with the motor pully spinning unproductively.

Also the main problem is crudding up of the pivot shaft.  I clean it out and re-grease it occasionally and in between will lift it and squirt in ATF if the swing becomes impaired.   When that happens the debarker won't swing in with any power when it exits the log.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The "bent" rod looks very normal from my view, and yes, I try to level my mill so that the loader side is about ½ bubble high.  Swing the Debarker in & out as you grease.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

My rod but I'm sure taken at a slightly different angle.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jcbrotz

It is supposed to be bent but I think it is bent more than normal as there is supposed to be a bolt and spacer from your motor base to that nub sticking up on the square tubing frame below and your spring & rod are directly over it. It is possible it is just over travel however since the blot is removed to remove the cover.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Peter Drouin

It's out of position. Need to turn the pulley to a new spot.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!