iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small log loading trailer help

Started by osage outlaw, January 09, 2018, 10:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I recently converted a single axle boat trailer into a 12' flat bed.  I want to make a log lifting arch on the back of it.  I will be loading osage logs up to 30" diameter x 7' long.  I plan on using 2"x2" square tubing because that's what I have available. My main question is how high should I make the arch?  If  possible, I would like to try to make the arch double as a frame for a ramp to load my UTV on the trailer.  Eventually, I would like to build an ATV log skidder arch.  Right now I don't have the parts or funds that I would need for that project. 

I cut around 8-10 osage logs each spring.  I have a log sled made from a plastic barrel.  I drag them up the hills and into a field.  Then I load the logs into my  truck bed by myself.  I can only load logs up to 22" like that and it is hard on my body.  I'm trying to work smarter, not harder.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.  I'll post some pictures when I get it done. 

Crusarius

My first question is what is the axle rated for under that boat trailer? I have a hard time believing it will hold up to what you want to do. Is this an offroad only rig or are you towing it down the road?

Is the log arch going to be stationary or will it pivot setting the log onto the trailer? Either way I think the 2x2 verticals will be ok. but the horizontals will be marginal with the span you will need. It can however be beefed up but doubling it up or building a ladder frame.

TKehl

To answer your question, look up the Dang-Deadheader log loader.  Most posts are in the sawmill section.

I second Crusarius on the capability of a boat trailer.  One log like you specify would be 2130 Lbs.  A lot of those axles are only rated for 2k Lbs and we haven't added the trailer weight yet...

Since we are talking about 8 logs a year, I would forget the arch (extra weight), and use a winch, ramps, and your nose cone.  If you need extra height, run the cable over the top of a steel car wheel without tire and let it roll along the bed a bit.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crusarius

hmmm Tkehl has very good ideas. I didn't even think about that. Of course I like to build crazy off the wall stuff so I immediately had a design in my head for the arch :)

Crusarius

mike_belben

A boat axle will haul a few logs, tires generally go before a spindle snaps off.  Leaf springs havent held up for me as well as torsion axles surprisingly.  Just make sure the bearings are greased and spindle nuts have cotters. 

Use the boat trailers hand winch and make a swinging jib boom from scrapyard pipe and rebar that pulls cable over some $5 harbor freight handtruck rims (tires removed) or garage door pulleys, tied to a little set of tongs. 

This way you can load from beside the trailer as well as unload.  For your utv ramp, just copy an equipment trailer.  Weld on pivot tabs and a pair of straight leg braces to keep em vertical.  Unpin to haul logs. 

Here is a simple jib like i mentioned with a remote atv winch.  Theyre $60 at HF

https://youtu.be/Iz1dfoXSUDE
Praise The Lord

osage outlaw

I'm not worried about the weight of the logs on the trailer.  I am only hauling them 1/4 of a mile from my Dad's property to mine.  Every now and then I might get some logs from a different location.  I figure if I am able to load them in a truck bed by hand they won't be too heavy for the trailer.  I will probably haul the big logs 1 at a time.

I looked up the DanG log loader posts.  I think I will go with a 6' high arch that pivots from the back of the trailer.   The span will be 73" wide.  I planned on adding some 45 degree angle supports to strengthen it. 

Here is a past post showing some of the logs that I cut and what I do with them.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,94741.0.html

Here is how my trailer started out. 

This is what it looks like now.  I'm going to put a piece of angle iron on the back edge to protect the boards.  I'm also going to add some bracing to the front of the frame.  I don't like the set up near the tongue.  The deck is 12' long.

These are the largest logs I have brought home from a different location. 

osage outlaw

I'm having issues with posting pictures.  When I try to open the gallery I get this message:  Gallery is currently offline

TKehl

Jeff is migrating the site to a different sever.  Gallery is shut down to ensure continuity on the move. 

Could be a few days...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,99320.0.html
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

osage outlaw

I can attach pictures as an .xls file.  Is that frowned upon during the transition?

TKehl

??? ??? ???

I thought XLS was a spreadsheet?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

osage outlaw

Quote from: TKehl on January 10, 2018, 01:07:32 PM
??? ??? ???

I thought XLS was a spreadsheet?

I guess so.  I can download the pictures as an .xls file and upload them like the one above.  It's the only way I could figure out how to post pictures right now.

osage outlaw

osage outlaw

Now I can add the pictures.  This is what my trailer looked like when I bought it for $150

Cross supports added, sanded, primered, painted, and deck added.  I'm going to add some pieces of 2x4 channel on the sides as tie down anchors and pockets for side rails if I ever need them.  I'm going to start on the log arch Sunday if the weather cooperates.

What I'll be lifting and hauling with it.  This was a smaller trailer I used to have.  I know it's overloaded but I only needed to haul them 1/4 of a mile to my house.  I loaded these by lifting one end up until I had the log standing straight up.  Then I flop them over onto the trailer, pick up the back end and shove them on. 

These were loaded with the help of a logger and some machinery. 

Crusarius

If I were you I would look into replacing the axle with a 7k axle. Search google for overloaded trailer fails. Its pretty scary some of the pics you see. Don't just think about the trailer but think about where the parts go when they fail. You could seriously hurt someone else. And if law enforcement gets involved you do not even want to know what it will cost.

Other than that warning the trailer looks nice what did you use for framing under the wood deck?

TKehl

Eh... 1/4 mile, probably on country roads.  I wouldn't sweat it.  I'd probably take it slow the first few trips, but it looks like a nice setup.

And surge brakes too!  If they work, that can be a big plus.  Looks like you got a great deal on the trailer and good work cleaning it up.

Have you thought about parbuckling the big logs over the side? 

Ed_K

This was a boat trailer when I started.

I put a rear axle from a front wheel drive suv cause the boat axle bent while using it to deliver cordwood when I first started my logging business.
Ed K

TKehl

I would recommend putting a couple drop legs at the rear corners when using the log arch on big logs.  Will reduce frame flex significantly.

osage outlaw

I used angle iron cross bars and welded vertical supports to the V-Beams on the boat trailer.  It made it pretty sturdy.  I did this to another boat trailer and made a rustic teardrop shaped camper on it.  It looks like an old tool shed.  I used reclaimed oak barn siding.  That was on a dual axle boat trailer.

The 1/4 mile road is a dead end country road.  I used to just drag the logs down the road but the county chipped and sealed it a couple years ago and now it is super rough.  It burnt the bottom off of my sled in one trip.   I have not thought about loading them over the side.

osage outlaw

Quote from: TKehl on January 12, 2018, 11:17:20 AM
I would recommend putting a couple drop legs at the rear corners when using the log arch on big logs.  Will reduce frame flex significantly.

I was planning on making some kind of supports on the back.  If nothing else, I'll put some jack stands under it.

osage outlaw

Quote from: Ed_K on January 12, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
This was a boat trailer when I started.

I put a rear axle from a front wheel drive suv cause the boat axle bent while using it to deliver cordwood when I first started my logging business.

Do you have a bigger picture of that?  It looks interesting. 

Ed_K

Here's a little better picture.
Ed K

Hans1

I found a receiver hitch deer hanger thing with a boat winch and cable for about 150.00 at a local farm store. I bought it to skin deer quick in the field and it works good for that. I have used it to lift pallet forks and all sorts of stuff onto my truck with a flat bed. May not lift the whole hedge log but may lift one end and winch it up.

mike_belben

The trailer will hold up fine to those loads.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!