iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Chain Possibilities for Stihl MS 170?

Started by kantuckid, January 10, 2018, 05:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Hey Stihl experts-
I'm going to buy a new MS 170 just as an extra saw to build a log cabin. My other saw is a Stihl MS 241 C that uses the 63 PS3 55 chains. I actually use Oregon 91VXL, 3/8, .050, 55G chains for that MS241 C saw.

I'm wondering if it's possible/logical, etc., to switch out the bar, sprocket and chain on a new MS 170 so they both use that same chain? I got a bunch of them from a Bailey's deal and just thought it might be an OK switch-if it can happen?

Side note- I got tired of looking at ebay and CL saws that were used and going for near new, even more on some!, or beyond their prime, so on. The 170's not my 1st choice of saws in a broader sense but it answers a need for lightweight, 16" bar @ reasonable cost to cut log dovetails on a jig. A local road maintenance company buys them by the pallet load. A local, FT log cabin builder uses that saw exclusively for the same reasons I'm gonna buy one.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

DelawhereJoe

That ms 170 if its like the ms 180 runs a 3/8p .043 chain I think it's a narrower kerf over the .050, but could be wrong. The 180 I have cuts well for a 30cc saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

dougand3

241 and 170 will use same bar mount - Stihl 3005 or Oregon A074. So, yes, you can use the same bar on the 170 and 241, so just match it for 170. Sprocket doesn't care if it's 043 or 050 - no need to change.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

kantuckid

Thanks!

I'm also considering buying a Stihl "parts saw" in the lower weight and price categories like MS170, 180, etc..

With a clean, low hours saw in these models has low compression, scored piston/cyl showing, how likely is it that saw has bottom end issues as well? Run on raw fuel I would think.
Cylinder kits are cheap aftermarket but wondering if it's a crap shoot to build one of these?
My labor is free by the way.  ;D

dougand3

Well, the majority of the time, I don't see bottom end damage. But you gotta check bearings for smoothness, con rod for torsional play, crank seals for leaks. An AM MS170 or 180 top end is ~$20 and whole short block engine is ~$35. If any question, get the whole engine.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Banjo picker

I have its slightly bigger brother the 180 an all i will say about it is don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.   Banjoists
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

Have to agree on the 180. I've never been too satisfied with mine either.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stevekw

Ive owned a MS170 for 20 years, Its a great little saw, starts easy still. I have a 14" bar on it. I think you would be lacking power to run a 16" bar very well. I had a chisel chain made for mine since Stihl doesn't offer one for this size. Its ok on small stuff but if you get to 8-10" stuff the lack of power really shows up.

kantuckid

Like I said in my original post- it's gonna be used to cut dovetails on pine logs, not cut down the forest around me. :D
I will say that I'm amazed the prices asked for and received on used stihl saws, ebay & CL. I'm a regular on both and know the territory but cannot understand people paying over retail for well used saws in the homeowner saws, not the highly desirable sort.
And they sell them! One Stihl with no model number nor any specific information of anykind-nada, zero! and that saw sells very soon and is up to $105 right now and has an over $90 shipping bill attached to it, making it an over $200 bid! The seller doesn't answer questions and it is definitely one of the homeowner level saws.

OldJack

Donyboy
How To Install A More Robust Bar & Chain On A Stihl Ms180, 170, 018, 017 Chainsaw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFM-8C-qV0

This is worth a read, although I'm sticking with the original 61PMM3  chain. It's a small saw for small jobs, and I've got a bigger saw for big jobs.

TKehl

Quote from: stevekw on January 12, 2018, 07:56:36 AM
Ive owned a MS170 for 20 years, Its a great little saw, starts easy still. I have a 14" bar on it. I think you would be lacking power to run a 16" bar very well. I had a chisel chain made for mine since Stihl doesn't offer one for this size. Its ok on small stuff but if you get to 8-10" stuff the lack of power really shows up.

x2

I have (3) 170s.  They are good little saws and will cut fine as long as the chain is kept sharp.  All of mine have 14" bars with upgraded bars & chains.  (Made a world of difference!)  Fantastic for limbing and brush!

I can't speak for pine, however, even sharp, they will bog and stall pretty easy in 8-10" Red Cedar, which is pretty soft.  I would not go above a 14" bar. 

I've thought about dropping back down to 12" or smaller, but I like the bit of extra reach trimming brush and have quite a few 14" chains...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

kantuckid

TKhel my grandma was from Sedailia, long ago.

I have a MS 170 I'm picking up on Monday afternoon. Looks barely used, was for sale by an heir of the owner. It has a 14" bar on it and a price that made it an easy deal.
The pine this will be cutting will already be milled into "D" logs on my mill and 6" thick x ~ 8" wide, peeled and clean too, so an easy cut for any sharp saw.
I'll see what's on it now and go from there on the bar & chain notion.
I could use your four offbearers... actually I could use one besides me!

TKehl

OK, you have me curious about names.  Our family has been around Sedalia for 130 years or so and my wife is big into genealogy.   ;)

I think you will like the little saw.  I can sure run one a lot longer than my bigger saws! 

My little ones can be hard workers for their size, but easily distracted.   :D  Though my oldest (8 y/o) is real good at working the splitter lever.   ;)  What can I ask when I pay them in cookies.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

kantuckid

kantuckid

Thanks for the posts to date. I bought the CL MS 170 saw yesterday, it's near new, never had a file on it. I took gas with me as the seller had none and it fired on 3 pulls and runs properly, worth the $100 I paid.
These bring ~ $100 on ebay for non runners when shipping's added in the price, go figure out how you come out on a $179.95 MSRP saw at that price? Some folks must need a project pretty bad, huh?
I gotta say these 170's feel like a toy saw even to my worn out hands! I'm going to cut around a bit on a pine log end before spending bar & chain money. It's a 14" which will easily fit on the top of my dovetail log jig.

Thank You Sponsors!