The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: C5 Tree Farmer  (Read 448 times)

Offline Hans1

• I'm new!
C5 Tree Farmer
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Looking at purchasing a 80s C5 TreeFarmer was wondering any issues or known problem areas to watch for. It appears to be in fair shape but I havenít run it yet. It has a gearmatic winch and a 353 Detroit. The axel ends say CanCar on them. I am more familiar with Timber Jacks. Thanks in advance.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: C5 Tree Farmer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Centrax axles used in late model C4 and C5s are hard to get parts for.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Online lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:10 AM »
If you are used to jacks you gonna have a hard time to adjust to a TF . They're a lot harder to get on and off, actually i don't know what those engineers were thinking back then. The axles with that rotary hub seal were a pretty poor design,but I think they were used on the jacks as well.
Five speed standard with high and low, pretty common and trouble free. About the gearmatic or cancar, some guys love them, some hate them. I will save my comment on that one.
If you're Detroit man that 353 will do just fine, if you're not a Detroit man, well then it will take some getting used to .  ;D
I still have a C5 sitting in my shed and had plans to make something out of it, just afraid  I am running out of time.

I guess it always depends how much you wanna use it, if it's just for hobby or firewood , or is it to try to make a living from it. Does that one have a kinda half steering wheel ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline Hans1

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the above responses. The Detroit is not a problem, seems much harder to climb in and out of although you can get out either side. One thing I did notice was all new bolts holding the axels on which seemed odd. The winch is off and they are replacing the seals on the winch where the power shaft attaches they are also replacing short power shaft that is just in front of the winch. Once they get this stuff back together I will be able to drive if and test it out.  I primarily cut walnut and have got by skidding with my dozer and a chain or a 135 horse tractor and 3point winch works but not ideal. I am located in Iowa so Skidders are pretty rare here and this one is close by.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:04:53 AM »
If you are used to tractors and dozers for yarding wood, the skidder will be a big step up 8)
Much easier to pull wood, and way faster than the dozer. Only issue is moving it from job to job. C5ís are a bit much for a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up to trailer. Though you probably bablu had a good idea about that. Good luck with the new machine!
JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D