Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: C5 Tree Farmer  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Oliver05262

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: C5 Tree Farmer
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »
Hans, just make sure the battery master switch is rated for enough amps to do the job. Cole-Hersee seems to be the best brand name. Cat master switches are the gold atandard. Put the master switch on the ground side. Easy to route the hot cable where it is protected, but since you have to be creative in routing the cables  to the master switch, it's easy to get one where it will rub or get pinched. Don't ask me how I know................................
If a tree falls in the forest, and then springs back up again; do the squirrels freak out?

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
You really shouldnt interrupt the positive side.  If the master switch is smashed by a stick or has whatever internal insulation fail, it would fault the hot side to ground and become a resistive heating element, until it morphed into a BBQ.

Disconnect on your ground side.

Offline BHC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »
mine c5 is a D there plenty of room to pull the transmission
it has steel battery boxes on both sides of the seat never had a issue but i did cut an old inter tube and lined it with a long enough flap to cover the top of battery's, not sure it dose much but it seemed like a good idea when i did it.
there a bear to get in and out have to just about tip them on there side.
My shut off is behind the seat and is and always been on the positive side i am pretty sure it original. both positive wires from the battery's go into it and 1 goes out to starter. I have replaced the wires a few times.
I always boosted off the starter when i need to, it easier to get to and i know that the current is there and a good ground. hooking up to the main connection i am not crossing the selionod but using my push button on dash, It will back feed and charge battery's as well but master needs to be on. You can have your master off and start the machine.
there a good skidder there days that i wanted to trade it for a timberjack just for getting on and off, but i know what mine is and i wount now, and the wood market here would not justify it.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

Online Hans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
Thanks for th

Online Hans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
Thank for all the advice I was planning on the cat shut off as thatís what has finally worked on the dozer. They got the push rod repaired and we hauled it to my farm to test it out. Unfortunately the test was cut short  the main drive line break stuck on and started smoking. I pulled the side access panel and the floor boards and can see the break but not exactly how it works. It appears the brake reservoir is on the front right side above the engine and has a steel line to a rubber line to the brake. There is also a micro lock type brake but that one is cut and not operational. Will try to post a pic .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
c 6 tree farmer

Started by coxy on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 07:50:31 PM
by Mark K
xx
tree farmer c5d

Started by kb88 on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 07:16:11 AM
by kb88