iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pneumatic tired forklift on a farm/Fix it or salvage it?

Started by TKehl, January 12, 2018, 09:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

How well will a forklift like this get around?  Is it pavement, concrete, and hardpacked gravel only?  It has pneumatic tires and rated at 6k Lbs lift.

I bought this forklift mainly for the forks and plate to make a set for our skid steer.  (I know they are overkill on a JD 250, but I figure they can eventually be used on a wheel loader I'll eventually buy to.)  The plan was to use the forks and rob a few parts for projects, then sell the rest.  However, something in the back of my mind is telling me I should get it going again.  And it is pretty complete.

If it would get around  as good as a skid steer or at least close, it would be interesting.  But If a patch of slightly softer gravel etc. would leave me stuck and cussing, it's back to plan A.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Wow would I love to get my hands on one like that....
FIX IT.....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

You have 2 advantages; air tires and duals and maybe room for chains. It should go on hard gravel. The problem will be the front tires sinking if you get in a soft spot empty. When your loaded it's not so bad. Sometimes you have to pick the load back up to get un stuck. It will be worthless on soft ground. I started with a tractor fork lift that never got stuck but low capacity and hard to maneuver. Then I got a machine like that one and got stuck a lot  until I got used to it. I just bought a newer diesel machine and had to convert it to air tires  and put on chains for winter. The old forklift [like yours] has dual chains and is my spare.  Hope this post goes thru, many don't.

Stuart Caruk

MY 6000# forklift has pneumatic tires, but only singles up front. It goes anywhere when it's dry, and does fine on packed gravel even when it's wet. Soft gravel, not so much, but a compacter stiffens things up just fine. I'd fix it. In fact I'm looking at a 20,000# machine that's been sitting for 8 years and looks a lot like yours. I'll be using it on gravel as well.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

DanG

That looks very similar to my old "Hootiemobile".  It was great on solid ground but would bog down on soft ground.  Even with its limitations it was the handiest machine I've ever owned, even handier than my backhoe.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

starmac

There is a downside to fixing it, once fixed and you get used to having it, even if you rarely use it, you will have to keep it fixed, cuz you will find that you can't get by without it.
Mine is very similar to the one you have pictured, it does fine on gravel or even fairly solid dirt, but if it gets too soft or rough, it is useless. You will learn it's limitations and work around them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

While one of those forklifts will not be much help in the woods, It would be very handy around the mill. We have 2 6k lifts that get used all the time on our hard packed driveway/parking lot.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

TKehl

Thanks for all the input! 

I won't be taking it out in the woods, have tractors for that, but want something that won't get stuck every time I turn around.  Sounds like this will be a keeper.   ;) 

Moodnacreek, I also have this that is close to running right and needs mast rollers.  But like you said, only so much capacity.

Kbeitz, I know of an even larger one of this style sitting in the woods around here.  Under an hour away from here.  If you get it, I'll help you load it.   ;)

Thinking I may still use the forks for now.  But I see where they will unbolt from the mast and won't do anything irreversible. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DanG

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 12, 2018, 05:57:27 PM
Quote from: DanG on January 12, 2018, 04:17:35 PM
......... even handier than my backhoe.

No way DanG.  ::)

Yes way!  :D  That is, when I was milling I used that forklift every day.  Now it would be virtually useless to me.  I might use the backhoe twice a month. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

1countryboy

Excellent on cement and hard dirt or hard gravel.   Usless when the soil is soft.  Ground clearance (low) under the mast will get you stuck quickly.  Would NOT get rid of it.   Worth much more around the mill and or shop than the price of scrap.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

dustyhat

Just about as good as tites on a boar hog, good for hard packed gravel or pavement, will sink on just about any other ground. but i would fixer up and keep it. there strong. chains on all fours and hope it dont sink. when these things set on the bottom its like trying to pull a stump with a big rock laying on top.

Gearbox

Years ago I ran one at a block plant the yard was packed gravel . It would handle cubes of cement blocks and if it did get stuck you could pull it out with a 4 wheel drive PU .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

I would live to have one like that, especially one of the four wheel drive ones. They do not have the lift capacity of mine, but would sure be nice around the mill on softer ground.

A friend has an older one I have tried to trade him out of, but he will not even talk, even though he doesn't hardly ever even crank it.
I do not know what brand it is, but it is 4 wheel drive rear wheel steer and articulates too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

TKehl

Nice! 

Chains look like they are lubed well.  Seems like that is often overlooked.  Lubed chains are a decent indicator that maintenance was kept up. 

Is that the other fork laying on the ground in front?  Two forks make it a lot handier.   ;)  More forgiving on center of gravity.   :D

Biggest thing I notice with forklifts over tractors (besides capacity) is sideshift.  I don't notice it until I'm back on the tractor setting something that needs to move a few inches and I start cussing that the Dang tractor won't sideshift. 

Kbeitz

I don't know much about it yet. It's cheap... Going to look at it tomorrow.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

The problem with side shift, fork positioners, and 3 stage mast is you can't see the forks. I spent a lot of time and passed up a lot of deals to get a diesel forklift with non of this and then I took the grating off. I have to line up the stickers when I  stack bundles of lumber but you learn to do it with out side shift.

Kbeitz

I think I'm going to pass on the one I was looking at... It needs
a injector pump and brakes.  It looked so much bigger when I
went to look at it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!