Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Man having the right tools makes life easy  (Read 460 times)

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer LX450 DieselStationary timber processing
    • Share Post
Man having the right tools makes life easy
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:04:53 AM »
My darling wife and daughter each wanted a raised bed garden box. Typically I despise nuisance work but they both wanted to help, so we drug up and old cedar log that's been sitting for 10 - 15 years. The bark was gone, sapwood has started to rot, but it was off the ground so we ran it through the new LX450. a few minutes later we had 3 nice 4" x 12" x 15'+ beams ready to go, a few 1" boards, and some kindling when it dries.

Slide it of the mill and onto the chopsaw to trim them to size. Typically I drag them up to the garden at this point and whip out my chainsaw but I figured I'd try something else. I set them back up on the mill. used the clamp to hold 4 pieces at a time together...

Set the depth of cut with my new beam saw... dang that sucker is huge, but quickly becoming a favorite tool...

And made a cut equal to the thickness of the beams, half way through. Then I used accuset to place the sawblade in the center of the beam...

and fed slowly into the beam to match the saw cut...

A task that's normally a PITA done in just a couple minutes. Flip the suckers around and repeat 4 times. Victorias smaller box looks like this, you get the idea...

Once they are in place and leveled, Anita will drill a 5/8" hole through the corners and pound in a 24" hunk of rebar with a big washer welded to the end to secure them in place.

Here comes Anita to get her timbers. Happy wife, happy life!

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Man having the right tools makes life easy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
Man you do have it made. Tools to get the project done easy  and a wife to take it away and build.
At this address,I am the tool user,builder and contractor to haul dirt too.   ;D  I don't have to do the planting.
A good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old and New Growth wood,What makes it old and what makes it new?

Started by JOE.G on Forestry and Logging

67 Replies
Last post January 05, 2013, 10:29:21 PM
by Jay C. White Cloud
xx
Outdoor Wood Furnace Tools / OWB Tools

Started by Dean186 on Firewood and Wood Heating

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 05:02:53 PM
by hockeyguy
xx
why is it never easy