iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drive pulley size question

Started by Kwill, January 23, 2018, 11:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I was wondering if there is a chart or something for figuring out what size drive pulley to use on the drive shaft on a home built mill. I see some have used 10.25 then see some say 12-15.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

Unless your running a jackshaft to gear the band down use a big as you can pulley on the band drive wheel so you can use a bigger pulley on the motor, if the pulley on the motor is too much less than 4" or so it will slip easy.   Don't go crazy with blade speed either, they cut better at slower speeds.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jwh f-100

Why buy it when you can build it.

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

ladylake

Yes a 16"pulley is pricey but if you put a 12" pulley  on the drive wheel and have to run a 3" on the motor to get  the right band speed you will have to run at least a 3 grove belt to keep it from slipping, Best to do it right the first time even if it cost a few more $  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

Bigger pulleys make your blades last longer. The don't bend as much...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 24, 2018, 05:19:49 PM
I was referring to the belt pulley off the engine.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on January 24, 2018, 08:27:09 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 24, 2018, 05:19:49 PM
I was referring to the belt pulley off the engine.

Opps...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Cutting Edge

Quote from: ladylake on January 24, 2018, 04:50:32 PM

Yes a 16"pulley is pricey but if you put a 12" pulley  on the drive wheel and have to run a 3" on the motor to get  the right band speed you will have to run at least a 3 grove belt to keep it from slipping, Best to do it right the first time even if it cost a few more $  Steve

Same goes for belts too. 

If you're planning on a double drive, spend a few extra $ on a banded belt (2 belts in 1).  Few things more aggravating than trying to find (2) individual belts in supposedly identical lengths.  Rarely the case.  Almost always one slightly different and difficolt to evenly tension.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kbeitz

If you go to an industrial store just ask for matched set belts.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den-Den

Quote from: ladylake on January 24, 2018, 04:50:32 PM

It actually cost LESS $ to do it right once vs doing it a second time.  I would not use less than 4" drive pulley for "B" size belts and even then the higher priced "BX" notched belts are needed
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Thank You Sponsors!