The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Maple Syrup 2018  (Read 23022 times)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: Maple Syrup 2018
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2018, 01:14:44 AM »
  21 gallons tonight.  Ran out of sap and jars.  Came out just right.  Still at Amber Rich 8)It may not freeze tonight but it might depending on the forecast.  It might be Wednesday before it freezes again.  We'll see what it brings but we may be done and that's fine.  I need to tally what we've made.  I think we've done pretty well for our first season.
  Cool pics celliot :) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline 51cub

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
Great pictures, Chris. Thanks for posting them!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:06 AM »
Chris, it's easy to see that you'll be going for a while yet, with all that snow!

We don't have any snow in our woods!

We were out yesterday flushing our lines and pulling taps, got most of it done, and we'll finish it today!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Bricklayer51

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Corley are you going to sell to the public?

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »
We finished flushing our lines today, and then finished cleaning the flue pan!

The only thing we have left to do is cut next years firewood!
~Chuck~
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »
Corley are you going to sell to the public?
Yes, we've been filling 15 gallon kegs first and the balance of the day's run goes into quarts and pints. 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »
Ran 4 gallons of syrup tonight from the 200 or so gallons of sap we pumped today.  Still Amber Rich and tasting great.  Finally figured our total and not including the several gallons my wife has sold at her work, she has those figures at work, we've made 225.75 gallons.  Going for 250.  Supposed to freeze Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights.  We might make it.  Buds are swelling but not a lot.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
Engine driven is not an option. This property is a resort with guests staying nearby, the noise would not be tolerated. To get AC power it is over 350 feet away and would need to be buried and in conduit. This is their requirement. Because of the lay of the land, not a simple straight run, this would be very expensive.
Run the electric, you will never regret it. 350' is peanuts, I ran 320' from a pole just in my woods to the sugarhouse for a 225A box because of solar regs. I ran 450MCM copper, the service is a 200A service but you can not feed in more than 10% over the rating, thus I have a 225A box with a 200A main breaker but when the solar is at peak I put in up to 46.8 amps at 240V, the rated max for that box is 247.5A (225 x 1.1=247.5, 10% over). 200A from the grid and up to 46.8 from my solar.
I went 1 number higher than the minimum because I wanted to send more power to the grid and have less loss in the conduit (net metered).
For 350' just use a voltage drop calculator available online, plug in the info and hit "calculate". You want less than 3% voltage loss, and I prefer staying under 2%, but code says at max 3% "suggested". It is less voltage loss to run 240 than 120V, I'm not familiar with 3 phase, but that's a whole new kettle of beans.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »
I ran power 900'+ to my releaser/pump house from the sugar house.  It was costly but well worth not dealing with a gas engine.  I used the online calculators too.  Moving the vacuum pump out there is under serious consideration.  I need to dig out my multimeter and check amps and volts.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
Be aware of the surge amps, that is the true figure to plug into the calculator.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
The wire, conduit, and distance is not a problem. The problem is all the obstacles to run the conduit under. A concrete set of steps, 6 foot high retaining wall, another set of large stone stairs and a blacktop road. For under 300 taps payback would take a very long time
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
230 gallons plus a bit.  We had two odd jars that came out of the farm house.  One is a Del Monte and the other an old apple sauce jar.  Both accepted regular lids and rings and sealed but aren't standard size.  They're personal syrup ;) ;D  So we're 230 gallons plus a half gallon or so.  Supposed to be in the twenties Wednesday night and we've got lots of snow in the bush so I'm thinking it may do something Thursday.  It may freeze Friday and Saturday nights too but not as hard.  I'd like to see 250 gallons for the season.  I'm also ready to do something else now ;D

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
Corley5, Be careful filling too many pints, while I usually sell 250-300 gal of syrup a year I only sell about 10-12 pints a year. Maybe your market for pints is better.
From home and the sugarhouse half gal are my best sellers, followed by qts, then gal and finally the pints. For my online sales it's HG, then QT, then I think I did sell 2 pts at Christmas time, I do not ship gal because 2 HG ship much cheaper in a Med Flat rate USPS box.
Just keep these in mind.
Finally, by far my best seller has turned out to be bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, PM me if you want to learn a little about that. For every batch so far I've used Very Dark syrup to fill the barrel for aging. Right now I have 2 ten gal barrels aging.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »
  Quarts are what we've sold the most of but we've just started.  We've got 80 gallons bottled up in mostly quarts with some wholes, halves and pints.  Way back when we did this when I was a kid quarts were what sold.  Mom would take orders for pints before season, we never stocked any, and we never did halves or gallons.  We've got 10 15 gallons barrels full too.  We'll see how this batch sells before we get rid of this as bulk.  It's all Amber Rich.  I can see the possibility of a water jacketed bottler in our future.
  26 tonight, 32 tomorrow night, 29 and 28 Friday and Saturday nights.  Seventies possible for highs next week.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
  One of Zach's teacher bought a gallon and he shipped it to his brother in NM.  The shipping was almost as much as the jug of syrup.  We'll surely keep the flat rate boxes in mind and let clients know as well :) 8) :) 8) 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »
I've got distilling in mind.  I think maple rum would be good ;) ;D

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2018, 09:51:39 PM »
FYI:  Two half gallons will fit in a Flat-Rate USPS box and ship for $13.xx, a one gallon jug will cost almost the same as the price of the syrup, just to ship it!

A couple of years ago we had a good friend of mine order 25 pints!  He is closely involved with "Wounded Warriors" and was buying the syrup to send to the "Mess Halls" in Iraq, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia!  This really touched home and we gave him a good price and threw in a few extras for free!

Our biggest sellers are halves and quarts!
~Chuck~

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
We do not sell a lot of half gallons or half pints. Our biggest sellers are quarts, pints, and gallons in that order.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
Bill, my sales used to be similar to yours (except we sold almost no pints) until we started to sell online, then using the medium flat rate boxes filled with 2 HG, became by far our big seller. Right now, in order for all products my sales in descending unit sales order are: bourbon barrel aged syrup, half gal, qts, gal then pints. I do not pack half pints or smaller except sometimes 50ml leaves as wedding favors by order only. We do pack a little in glass but find that most of our customers look at the glass but then buy the jugs because of price.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
  We're done.  The trees gave up and so did we.  Yesterday we pulled the plug on the releaser, flushed out the sap tanks, drained and flushed the pans and cooked off the sweet.  Going over to the sugar house in a bit to clean up the filter press and do some general tidying up.  Tomorrow we start pulling taps and flushing lines after I do some plumbing in the sugar house so I can install the frost free hydrant at the pump house.       
  We ended up with an even 235 gallons of syrup from 800 taps.  I'll take that especially for our first season.  The first six gallons are Golden Delicate.  The rest is all Amber Rich.  Have a potential buyer for some of the bulk coming by tomorrow.  It was a good season in Wolverine Michigan 8) 8) 8) 8) 
  And Yes, I'm a real sugar maker.  I burned a pan.  Got it out of the way early in the career ;) ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Maple Syrup!

Started by jrose1970 on General Board

306 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 06:36:45 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Maple Syrup....

Started by Mr Mom on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

15 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 02:26:53 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Maple Syrup

Started by cbla on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

49 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 10:56:23 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Maple Syrup

Started by Magicman on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

111 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 04:51:15 PM
by Kansas